When looking for the best hunting dog crate, you want a dog crate that is strong and secure.
With a popular option being to put the crate in the truck bed, a crate built for travel and the outside usually fares well.
Some dog boxes like the Owens dog boxes even have the Hunter and Pro Hunter Series boxes that allow for hunting equipment storage either above or below the box.
So, there’s a few options for the different hunters out there.
Let’s take a look at the best hunting dog crate and dog box options at this present moment!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Hunting Dog Crate: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Our top picks for the best hunting dog crate and dog boxes are:
Heavy Duty Plastic & Molded Crates
– Rough Tough Dog Kennels
– Gunner G1 Dog Kennel
Heavy Duty Aluminium Dog Boxes
– Owens Dog Boxes
Single Dog Boxes
- Owens (55015) Dog Box (on Amazon) – interior compartment measures 20″W x 29″D x 23″H
- Owens (55019) Dog Box (on Amazon) – dog box dimensions are 21″W x 38″D x 25″H
- Owens (55033L) Dog Box (on Amazon) – compartment dimensions are 24″W x 37″D x 29″H, for taller dogs
Double Dog Boxes
- Owens (55077) Dog Box (on Amazon) – each compartment measures 24″W x 35″D x 19″H
- Owens (55006) Dog Box (on Amazon) – each compartment measures 24″W x 44″D x 18″H
- Owens (55080W) Dog Box (on Amazon) – Pro Hunter Bottom Storage, dog box dimensions are 21″W x 38″D x 25″H
Best Hunting Dog Crate and Dog Box: Reviews
Rough Tough Dog Kennels
You can read an in depth review of the Rough Tough Kennels in this guide.
As a summary of the crates though:
- These crates are designed by dog trainers and outfitters, and are made in the USA
- They are one piece molded kennels – they have an all in one construction that allows them to be stronger and house larger dogs, where similar sized two piece crates can’t have close to the same strength
- Rough Tough is actually a division of the plastic manufacturing company, Rotational Molding, or Roto Mold LLC
- The crates are made of durable UV stabilised polyethylene
- Easy to clean
- Stackable on other Rough Tough kennels
- Have with composite doors that are secured with metal rods
- Some crates have double doors
- Some crates have inserts for coupling the kennels together or tying them down in a truck
- There’s a range of sizes available – small, mid size, medium, intermediate, large and XL
- The intermediate size for example has interior dimensions of 30in L x 19.5in W x 22in H. It also only weighs 20lbs
- As a guide, the XL crate measures 39 L x 22 W x 28 H internally – so keep that in mind if you have a big dog
- Can use these crates for small through to large sized dog breeds
Tests that have been done to test the strength of the crates are:
- Were dropped it from a height of 12 feet with no noticeable damage. After four drops the kennel showed only scratches and stains from the concrete and grass. No splits or cracks were evident
- Were fired at with a full choke charge of number 6’s from about 15 paces.Only a handful of pellets penetrated the crate, and the rest buried in the material
Gunner G1 Kennels
You can read an in depth review of the Gunner G1 Kennel here.
- The Gunner G1 is a double wall roto molded dog crate
- The extra layer protects against UV rays, humidity, and outside chill
- It was designed for travel and the outdoors
- It has tie down pins for tying the crate down to truck or vehicle tie down points
- It has been tested to withstand 4,000 lb. of force, a 12-gauge shotgun at 7 steps, a 200+ foot cliff drop, and 630 lb. dropped from 8’4”
- Comes in several different sizes
- Intermediate is for dogs up to 75 lbs, and Large fits most dogs up to 110lbs
- The vents allow air flow, but are designed to limit water infiltrating the crate
- The feet of the crate raise the crate off the ground to limit heat and cold transmission into the kennel
- The door is designed to be escape proof – welded, powder coated and reinforced with an aluminum frame. It also has a Stainless-steel Piano Hinge and hexagonal door design
- The lock is a Paddle-latch that includes a key-in-the-hole lock
- Drainage and plug system – recessed floor and oversized drain plug for easy cleaning
- Has in line rear wheels for transportation
- Has carry handles
- Has stainless steel hardware
- Made in America
Owens Aluminium Dog Boxes
You can read an in depth of the Owens Aluminium dog boxes in this guide.
For hunting purposes, two of the dog boxes you’d especially be interested in are the Hunter Pro Series, and the Hunter Series.
The main difference between them is that the Hunter Series comes with either top storage or no storage, and the Pro Hunter Series come with bottom storage.
As an overall summary of each:
Pro Hunter Series Features
- Double compartment dog boxes
- Designed to be hunting dog boxes
- Comes with bottom drawer storage
- Good for taller trucks and easy access to your gear
- Come with either the large All-Seasons vents or the full-size version can be purchased with the round “strike” holes used by bear and cat hunters
- There’s 3 Pro Hunter boxes available – the 38″W x 40″D x 26″H box with bottom storage and all seasons vents, the 46 x 45 box with bottom drawer standard box, and the 46 x 45 box with bottom drawer TALL box
- These boxes are made of diamond tread aluminium construction
- They are dual lined (top and bottom) on the interior
- They have lockable slam latch doors with storm covers
- They have extra large all seasons side and rear air vents with storm covers
Hunter Series Features
- Comes in single, double and triple compartment box options
- Available with, or without top storage
- Designed mainly for hunting
- Made with diamond plate aluminium construction
- Has internally lined compartments
- Has lockable slam latch doors with safety latches
- Boxes are slotted for you to install crate cooling fans if required
- Comes with standard 7×10 inches maximum flow side air vents
- Can also get these boxes with All Seasons oversized vents
Best Hunting Dog Crate and Dog Box: Buyer’s Guide
Should I Get A Molded Crate or Aluminium Dog Box?
It really depends on your needs.
Certainly check the safe pet vehicle travel laws and regulations in your area first. Apart from that, consider the features that set the Owens dog boxes apart from the Rough Tough and Gunner Kennels.
For example, the storage boxes on the Owens dog boxes are a preference for some people.
What Size Crate or Dog Box Should I Get?
Make sure you find out the internal compartment dimensions of the dog box you want to buy.
Measure your dog from paws to the top of their head, and from the base of their tail to the tip of their nose.
Make sure your dog’s measurements are about 2-4 inches shorter than the compartment so they have enough room to stand, turn around and lay down comfortably.
If you are unsure, ask the manufacturer or seller for their recommendation.
Also, consider if the crate or kennel or dog box has a weight limit/capacity.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here