So, you want to what the best dog bed is for older dogs, dogs with arthritis, & hip and joint problems.
There’s two things to consider:
1. The first thing we will say is the only person who can provide you with professional and qualified advice on those issues is a vet – so see your local vet as a first priority.
2. Secondly, you should know though that there are dog beds available that have special memory foam and orthopedic foam to support your dog’s body, protect their bones and joints against hard surfaces, and most importantly, have them feeling comfortable.
A soft, protective and supportive bed certainly can’t do any further harm for dogs with joint issues.
We take a look at the best memory foam dog beds, and the best orthopaedic dog beds – and present the information to you in one easy and simple guide, so you can make a quicker decision.
Let’s take a look!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
What Is The Best Dog Bed For Older Dogs?
Some of the best dog beds with solid foam, and that have waterproof liners are:
- PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Larger Sizes), or PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Smaller Sizes)
- PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed With Memory Foam (on Amazon) (Bed with bolster edges. Several sizes available, but, available as big as a XXL size bed, with inner dimensions of 42 inches long by 33 inches wide, and a 6 inch memory foam base. Designed for dogs up to 200lbs. Has a water resistant removable and washable cover, and a waterproof inner liner to protect memory foam)
- PupLounge™ Memory Foam Dog Bed & Topper (on Paw.com) (Bed with bolster edges. Several sizes available, but, largest size available is Giant, with inner dimensions of 43″ L x 35″ W inside the bolsters. Has a 2 inch or 4 inch memory foam base depending on the size ordered (has a 10 year guarantee on the foam not to flatten). Has a waterproof memory foam liner. Comes with a faux fur topper which is interchangeable/removable, and washable.
- Big Barker Headrest Edition Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (7 Inch thick American made therapeutic foam dog bed. Available in up to the largest Giant size, which is a 60 inch long x 48 inch wide sized bed. For large and Giant sized dogs.)
Best Dog Bed For Older Dogs, Dogs With Arthritis, & Hip & Joint Problems: Reviews
Big Barker 7 Inch Pillow Top Orthopedic Foam Dog Bed
Without a doubt the best orthopedic foam dog bed on the market in our opinion for older dogs, big dogs, dog with arthritis, and dogs with hip and joint problems.
The foam is engineered so that there are no pressure points on your dog’s body when they lay down on it.
This dog bed is especially designed for a big dog’s body – to support their weight, and to keep it’s shape under that weight over the long term.
As of 2017, there’s a 10 year guarantee/warranty on this bed – the foam will retain 90% of original shape & loft for 10 years or your money back.
The foam itself is American made and won’t flatten or pancake out.
There’s 2 inches of H10 Comfort Foam on the bottom, 3 inches of H45 Support Foam in the middle, and another 2 inches of H10 Comfort Foam on the top – for a total of 7 inches of foam base.
There’s also 4 inches of contoured foam on top of this 7 inch base that makes up the headrest.
The cover is made of a 100% microfiber cover. It’s very easy to clean, and machine washable.
Comes in 3 beautiful colors to match your home decor – burgundy, chocolate and khaki.
Comes in 3 sizes:
- Large – 48 x 30 inches
- Extra Large – 52 x 36 inches
- Giant – 60 x 48 inches
KOPEKS Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
Comes in 3 sizes:
- Small – 25 x 20 inches (3.5 inches) with a 1.5 inch thick headrest pillow
- Large – 35 x 28 inches (5.5 inches) with a 2.5 inch thick headrest pillow
- Jumbo – 50 x 34 inches (7 inches) with a 3 inch thick headrest pillow
Comes in 2 colors – grey and brown.
Each size of the bed has a different thickness of memory orthopedic foam to support your dog’s joints.
There is two liners for the bed – an internal waterproof liner, and the outer micro suede cover that is soft and comfortable and can be washed. The outer cover is zippered and has an anti slip bottom.
This particular bed takes a few days for the foam to ‘fluff up’ when you first get it.
Dogbed4less Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
The mattress is made of gel infused memory foam and has an internal waterproof cover.
The memory foam is hypoallergenic and made to comfort dogs with joint aches. It’s highly highly resistant to bacteria, molds and mildews, and dust mites.
It’s also worth nothing that the foam is high density foam, and not the partial glued foam you may find in cheaper beds.
The external cover is made of micro suede, and has an anti slip cover. It also has a zipper to put it on the bed and take it off. The external cover is machine washable.
The external cover comes in a beautiful denim blue color that should fit in with most decors.
Comes in 5 sizes:
- 35 x 20 inches
- 37 x 27 inches
- 40 x 35 inches
- 41 x 27 inches
- 47 x 29 inches
Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
The Milliard foam is certified by CertiPUR-US®, and is designed to provide support to aching joints and bodies.
The bed itself is composed of 2 inches of a foam base on the bottom, and 2 inches of premium memory foam on the top.
The bed has a zippered outer cover that is removable and washable, and has a non slip underside.
The out cover is also lined with a TPU coating that is waterproof.
Comes in 4 sizes:
- 24 x 18 inches
- 34 x 22 inches
- 40 x 35 inches
- 46 x 35 inches
The cream/white color of the cover is very decor neutral.
Barksbar Orthopedic Dog Bed Bolster Dog Bed
This bed is composed of 4 inches of curved orthopedic foam on the bottom, and cotton padding on top of the mattress, with a headrest bolster section.
The bottom foam supports your dog’s joints, and the top cotton and padded rim supports your pet’s body and pet’s neck.
The dog bed has a cover with a non slip backing, that is removable and washable.
Comes in 2 sizes:
- 32 x 22 inches
- 40 x 30 inches (inner sleeping dimensions are 36″ x 24″)
Large can hold up to 100+ lbs dogs, and is fitted for pets up to 36″ in length.
Best Dog Bed For Older Dogs, Dogs With Arthritis, & Hip & Joint Problems: Buyer’s Guide, & Buyer Tips
What Is Orthopedic Memory Foam, and What Should I Look For In It?
The best way to describe the best type of foam for a dog bed is to look for engineered high density foam.
If we take the H45 Foam used in the Big Barker bed for example, it is high density foam which has high compression strength and durability.
Not only is the H10 Comfort foam soft and comfortable for your dog, but the H45 Support Foam is strong, and has the ability to both hold it’s shape and create very little opposing pressure from the ground on a dog’s body who has sore joints.
Stay away from beds with cheap partial glued together foam, usually made overseas.
USA made foam is usually high density foam.
What Other Features Should I Look For In An Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed?
- Engineered Foam that is high density, and has a mix of support and comfort foam
- A headrest if preferable (also with support foam in it)
- A warranty that covers the bed losing it’s shape
- Decide on a thickness of dog bed you want
- A bed with two covers is good – an internal waterproof cover, and an outer non skid also waterproof cover that is removable and machine washable
- Sizes of the dog beds available – can you fit them into a crate or dog house if you need to? Check this
- Color – does it come in a color that is going to match your decor?
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here