In this Rough Tough Kennels Review, you will learn why we rate this as the best plastic crate and kennel for medium to large sized dogs.
It’s also fantastic for dogs that chew, dogs that scratch, and otherwise destructive type dogs.
What makes the crate so strong and resistant to damage? The all in one strong plastic construction has a major reason to do with it.
Most other large plastic dog crates and kennels are two piece construction which means they have design weaknesses, and they don’t stand up anywhere near as good to damage as the Rough Tough kennels.
Let’s take a closer look at what we think is the best heavy duty plastic dog crate/kennel!
Rough Tough Kennels Review & Buyer’s Guide
Some of the available Rough Tough Kennels are:
Rough Tough Kennel: Review
- These crates are designed by dog trainers and outfitters, and are made in the USA
- They are one piece molded kennels – they have an all in one construction that allows them to be stronger and house larger dogs, where similar sized two piece crates can’t have close to the same strength
- Rough Tough is actually a division of the plastic manufacturing company, Rotational Molding, or Roto Mold LLC
- The crates are made of durable UV stabilised polyethylene
- Easy to clean
- Stackable on other Rough Tough kennels
- Have with composite doors that are secured with metal rods
- Some crates have double doors
- Some crates have inserts for coupling the kennels together or tying them down
- There’s a range of sizes available – small, mid size, medium, intermediate, large and XL
- The intermediate size for example has interior dimensions of 30in L x 19.5in W x 22in H. It also only weighs 20lbs
- As a guide, the XL crate measures 39 L x 22 W x 28 H internally – so keep that in mind if you have a big dog
- Can use these crates for small through to large sized dog breeds
Tests that have been done to test the strength of the crates are:
- Were dropped it from a height of 12 feet with no noticeable damage. After four drops the kennel showed only scratches and stains from the concrete and grass. No splits or cracks were evident
- Were fired at with a full choke charge of number 6’s from about 15 paces.Only a handful of pellets penetrated the crate, and the rest buried in the material
Rough Tough Kennel: Buyer’s Guide
What Makes Rough Tough Kennels So Unique And Good?
There aren’t any other crates on the market like Rough Tough Kennels.
The reason why is that there are no other plastic kennels on the market that have this type of all in one, one piece construction.
It allows Rough Tough to keep their crates very lightweight, but also extremely strong and durable, even for the largest sizes of kennels.
Who Are Rough Tough Kennels Good For?
- People who want a lightweight but ultra heavy duty dog kennel
- People who have a decent budget to spend on a dog crate
- People who have small through to large dogs
- People who don’t want a steel or aluminium crate
- People looking for a crate for inside, outside and most situations
Who Are Rough Tough Kennels Not For?
- People who have a small budget for a dog crate
- People who have dogs that are too big for a L-40 1/4″, W-22 1/4″, H-30 1/2″ dimensions crate
Are The Rough Tough Kennels Airline Approved?
They are not designed specifically to be airline approved, but it’s possible you can get them to this stage with a few add ons
What you need to do is check the USDA requirements or the IATA regulations for the airline you are flying with, and make sure you comply with them.
Some adjustments you might make to Rough Tough Kennels for flying might be:
- adding a metal liner, which can be purchased as an accessory
- Adding a side latch rod kit for securing the door further.
- Adding a handle kit for the intermediate, large and XL sizes
What Size Dog Crate Do I Get?
When picking a dog kennel size, you might like to consider the following:
Make sure you find out the internal compartment dimensions of the dog kennel you want to buy.
Measure your dog from paws to the top of their head, and from the base of their tail to the tip of their nose.
Make sure your dog’s measurements are about 2-4 inches shorter than the compartment so they have enough room to stand, turn around and lay down comfortably.
If you are unsure, ask the manufacturer for their recommendation.
Rough Tough Kennels vs Gunner G1 Kennel Comparison
Are There Any Other Heavy Duty Dog Crates On The Market?
Yes, there are also heavy duty steel and heavy duty aluminium crates to choose from.
Read about the best heavy duty dog crates in this guide.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here