The best portable dog crates have a few features that make them good portable type dog crates.
A few of these key features include being relatively lightweight, or, having the ability to fold up and and down with minimal assembly required.
Having decent strength also helps if you want a crate that is going to have some durability when being carried or transported around.
Four types of crates that fit this criteria are the metal wire, soft sided, plastic dog crates and aluminium dog crates.
Let’s check them out!
Best Portable Dog Crate
Our top picks for the best portable dog crates are:
Soft Sided Portable Dog Crate – EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate (on Amazon)
Plastic Portable Dog Crate – read about the best plastic portable dog crates here
Aluminium Portable Dog Crate – read about the best aluminium portable dog crates here.
*Dog crate bed is sold separately – you might look at the MidWest Deluxe Bolster Pet Bed for Dogs (on Amazon)
Best Portable Dog Crate: Reviews
MidWest iCrate Dog Crate
You can read a MidWest iCrate Dog Crate review here.
We’ve also put together a MidWest iCrate vs Life Stages dog crate comparison guide.
As a summary of the crate though:
Dog Crate Features
- Great value for money
- Comes in 9 sizes from 18 inch up to 48 inches
- 48 inch model measures 48L x 30W x 33H inches
- Comes in single door and double door options
- Comes in cool blue and pink options too – both with single doors
- Comes with free divider panel, leak-proof plastic pan, a strong carrying handle, rubber “roller” feet
- Locking is two heavy duty slide-bolt latches (per door)
- Crate folds down and up without tools – great crate to store away or travel with
- Comes with rounded corners
What’s Not So Good About It?
- Slighter weaker metal than the Life Stages crate
- Not the strongest crate metal on the market, but not weak either
EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate
You can read an Elitefield 3 Door Folding Soft Crate review here.
As a summary of the crate though:
- A soft dog crate made of a steel tube frame, and high quality durable 600D fabric and hex mesh fabric
- Extremely well priced considering what you get
- Can be assembled, and folded back down quite quickly – no tools required
- Has three mesh doors (on the top, front, and side)
- An overall breathable and well ventilated crate
- Also has two accessory pockets on the top and side of the crate;
- Has a removable and washable cover,
- Comes with a free fleece bed cushion and carrying bag
- Has a handle and hand carrying straps on the crate, and hand carrying straps and adjustable padded shoulder strap on the carrying bag
- When folded, the crate is just 3 inches high – making it easy to store
- An easy crate to transport
- For small through to large dog breeds
- Comes in 5 sizes all the way through to the largest size crate at 42″L x 28″W x 32″H
- Comes in a massive 13 different color schemes – some are one color whilst others are two tone
- Elitefield are a reputable company
What Could Be Improved?
- Fabric zips and unzips – some dogs will try chew the zipper or push it with their nose
- Not for chewer dogs or dogs that are destructive
- Not for dogs that scratch or dig
- Seams could be slightly stronger – although they are not poorly stitched
Plastic Portable Dog Crates
There are one or two small plastic hardened dog crates that are relatively good, but when talking about plastic dog crates for medium and large dogs, they are all about the same performing as each other.
Plastic dog crates, as they grow in size, have less strength comparative to the size of dog inside them.
You can check out the full range of plastic portable dog crates here.
Aluminium Portable Dog Crates
There’s a few different types of aluminium dog crates.
Some are standard heavy duty, whilst other might have special features for dogs that try to escape for example.
Make sure the crate is IATA approved or USDA approved or airline approved if you want to use it for airline travel. Airline rails can be purchased with the Zinger Winger crates for example.
You can check out the full range of aluminium portable dog crates here.
Best Portable Dog Crate: Buyer’s Guide
What Is A Portable Dog Crate?
A portable dog crate is a crate that can be moved easily, or transported easily. The main types of portable dog crates are:
Metal Wire Dog Crates – made of a thin metal wire. Fold down and can be assembled easily. Are relatively lightweight. Can be stored away when folded down, or transported in a car for example.
Soft Dog Crates – made of a soft nylon fabric. Fold down easily with a metal frame, and assemble easily. Can be stored away, or transported easily. Are much lighter than metal wire crates.
Plastic Dog Crates – Don’t fold down and aren’t collapsible. Usually involved two hardened plastic half shells that you snap together and sometimes screw or bolt together. People can use them for airline travel if they are USDA and/or IATA approved.
Aluminium Dog Crates – about one third of the weight of a heavy duty steel dog crate. Made of solid aluminium and are usually for airline travel is airline approved. Zinger Winger make some collapsible dog crates from their CL Series range.
Who Are Portable Dog Crates For?
People who want a dog crate that can be used at home, and want to be able to easily store it away, or take it to the vet or camping for example.
Transporting dogs on planes is done with airline approved plastic crates or aluminium crates usually.
Portable crates may or may not fold up and down.
They should be lightweight enough to carry around, or approved for airplane travel if you are using them for that.
Who Are Portable Dog Crates NOT For?
People who want heavier duty steel crates for dogs that chew, scratch, are destructive or are escape artists.
If you are happy to use the crate in one spot or location at home for example, you may not need a portable dog crate.
What Size Portable Dog Crate Should I Get?
Check these two things and measure your dog for:
- The weight capacity for the crate or kennel
- The height, length and width of the kennel should be 3-4 inches taller and longer than your pet so there’s ample space to fully stand up, easily turn around and comfortably lie all the way down
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here