Metal wire dog crates are the most popular dog crates on the market – due in part to their strength for their low price.
The best metal wire dog crates will come in a range of sizes for different sized dogs, will be reasonably strong and can fold up and down to be stored away or transported to another location.
In this guide we have linked you to reviews of the most popular and best metal wire dog crates, as well as considered which crate might be best for you and your dog.
Let’s jump straight into it!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Metal Wire Dog Crate: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Our top picks for the best metal wire dog crates are the:
Best Value Metal Wire Dog Crate (Up to 48 Inch Available) – MidWest iCrate (on Amazon)
Midwest Solution Series “Ginormus” Double Door Dog Crate (on Amazon) – for Giant dogs
Our other picks for good metal wire dog crates are the:
Carlson Pet Products Single Door Compact Metal Wire Dog Crate (on Amazon) – for small to large dogs
New World Single Door and Double Door Metal Wire Dog Crate (on Amazon) – for small to large dogs
*Dog crate bed is sold separately – you might look at the MidWest Deluxe Bolster Pet Bed for Dogs (on Amazon)
Best Metal Wire Dog Crates: Reviews
MidWest iCrate Single Door and Double Door Metal Wire Dog Crate
You can read the MidWest iCrate dog crate review here. But, we’ve also included a summary here:
Dog Crate Features
- Great value for money
- Comes in 9 sizes from 18 inch up to 48 inches – for small to large dogs
- 48 inch model measures 48L x 30W x 33H inches
- Comes in single door and double door options
- Comes in cool blue and pink options too – both with single doors
- Comes with free divider panel, leak-proof plastic pan, a strong carrying handle, rubber “roller” feet
- Locking is two heavy duty slide-bolt latches (per door)
- Crate folds down and up without tools – great crate to store away or travel with
- Comes with rounded corners
What’s Not So Good About It?
- Slighter weaker metal than the Life Stages crate
Midwest Solution Series “Ginormus” Double Door Dog Crate
You can read the MidWest Solution Series “Ginormus” dog crate review here. But, we’ve also included a summary here:
Dog Crate Features
- Overall, a good crate for extra large dogs like Great Danes, Mastiffs and St Bernards for example
- A 2 door metal wire crate that measures 54L x 37W x 45H Inches
- Designed for extra large dog breeds weighing over 90 lbs
- Both doors feature 3 of their own slide bolts for locking and crate security
- Has a four drop pin construction going through the corners of the crate for extra strength and durability
- Has L-Hook sides to keep them from bowing
- Comes with a leakproof ABS plastic pan that is removable and easy to clean
- Metal has an e-coat finish so it doesn’t rust
- The crate is one of the heavier crates on the market at around 80 lbs
- Because the crate is so large, the wire is a little weaker than you like ideally. You may need to reinforce the crate with zip ties for a bit of extra strength
- Requires two people to assemble the crate – some people take a while and have a little difficulty putting ti together
- Crate, because of it’s weight, is not very portable
AmazonBasics Single Door and Double Door Metal Wire Dog Crate
You can view the AmazonBasics Single & Double Door Metal Wire Dog Crate (on Amazon)
MidWest Life Stages Single Door and Double Door Metal Wire Dog Crate
You can read the MidWest Life Stages dog crate review here.
Carlson Pet Products Single Door Compact Metal Wire Dog Crate
You can read the Carlson Pet Products dog crate review here.
New World Single Door and Double Door Metal Wire Dog Crate
You can read the New World dog crate review here.
Best Metal Wire Dog Crates: Buyer’s Guide
Why Do We Rate The MidWest iCrate The Best Metal Wire Dog Crate?
We considered the prices of all the crates, and weighed the prices up against:
- The range of sizes the crates came in
- How many features they had
- How strong and sturdy the crate are
- How good the design of the crate is and how easy it is to use in a range of scenarios
- How popular the crate is overall
- Overall user satisfaction
When we considered all those factors, the MidWest iCrate came out on top.
What About The Midwest Solution Series “Ginormus” Double Door Dog Crate?
For Giant dogs, there aren’t as many crate options.
The MidWest “Ginormus” crate though did have the best mix of factors considering the price.
For a Giant dog, if you don’t like this crate, you may look at the heavy duty steel crate as well
You can check out a review here:
What Is A Metal Wire Dog Crate?
A metal wire crate is the most popular dog crate made of simple metal wire and usually has a plastic removable crate pan.
Are Metal Wire Dog Crates Foldable, Collapsible and Portable?
Yes, most of the crates listed above fold up and down without any tools.
This means you can store them away or transport them in your car for example.
Metal Wire Dog Crates For Cars
The above metal wire dog crates could definitely be folded up and transported in your car.
Check your local laws and regulations for safe pet travel and whether crates are allowed fully assembled.
Metal Wire Dog Crates For Airplanes and Airline Travel
The dog crates above are not approved for airline travel.
Check with your airline provider the approved dog crates for airplane travel.
What Can A Metal Wire Dog Crate Be Used For?
Metal wire dog crates can be used at home indoors and outdoors for both puppies and adult dogs.
Who Would Get A Metal Wire Dog Crate?
People looking for an affordable dog crate that is great for home use, and can be folded down or assembled quite quickly.
Who Wouldn’t Get A Metal Wire Dog Crate?
People with dogs that chew, scratch, are escape artists or destructive dogs. For those dogs, check out the heavy duty steel crates:
What Size Metal Wire Dog Crate Do I Get, And How To Measure For It?
You can do two things to figure out what size dog crate to get:
- Measure your dog from their paws to the top of their head, and from the tip of their nose to the bas of their tail – make sure your dog has 2-3 extra inches ontop of those measurements in the interior dimensions of the crate
- Look at the weight capacity of the crate and make sure your dog fits with that weight limit
MidWest iCrate vs Life Stages Dog Crates – Which Is Better?
We put together a comparison outlining the similarities and differences of these popular MidWest metal dog crates, plus consider which is better:
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Thank you for being here