When you are looking for heavy duty dog crates, you want to make sure they are both strong and secure.
The best heavy duty dog crates that we could find came in two types – heavy duty steel, and heavy duty but lightweight aluminium.
We outline what these crates are, their pros and cons, and most importantly whether a heavy duty dog crate is for you.
Let’s check them out!
Best Super Heavy Duty Dog Crates That Are Strong & Secure
Our top picks for the best heavy duty dog crates are:
Heavy Duty Steel Dog Crate
Heavy Duty Aluminium Dog Crates
Zinger Winger Deluxe Series – Front Entry
- Zinger Winger DX 5000 Deluxe Aluminium Dog Crate (On Amazon)
- Zinger Winger DX 4500 Deluxe Aluminium Dog Crate (On Amazon)
- Zinger Winger DX 4000 Deluxe Aluminium Dog Crate (On Amazon)
- Zinger Winger DX 3000 Deluxe Aluminium Dog Crate (On Amazon)
Zinger Winger “Escape Artist” Professional Series – Front Entry
- Zinger Winger PR5000 Professional Series Aluminium Dog Cate (on Amazon)
- Zinger Winger PR4500 Professional Series Aluminium Dog Cate (on Amazon)
- Zinger Winger PR4000 Professional Series Aluminium Dog Cate (on Amazon)
- Zinger Winger PR3000 Professional Series Aluminium Dog Cate (on Amazon)
Heavy Duty Plastic Dog Crate
Rough Tough Single and Double Door Heavy Duty Plastic and Composite Dog Crates
*Dog crate bed is sold separately – you might look at the MidWest Deluxe Bolster Pet Bed for Dogs (on Amazon)
Best Heavy Duty Dog Crates: Reviews
ProSelect Heavy Duty Steel Dog Crate
You can check out a ProSelect Heavy Duty Steel Dog Crate Review here.
Zinger Winger Heavy Duty Aluminium Dog Crate
You can check out the Zinger Winger Dog Crate Reviews here.
Rough Tough Heavy Duty Plastic Kennels With Composite Doors
- Heavy duty plastic crate designed particularly for travel, transport, boarding, but also for home
- Extremely strong construction – all in one strong plastic crate with composite metal crate door
- Crates have been dropped from 12 feet onto concrete and grass and have no noticeable damage.
- Comes in a range of sizes – small, medium, intermediate and large
- Comes in single door and double door options
- The Large single door crate has interior dimensions of 34in L x 21.5in W x 25in H
- Lightweight – the large kennels only weigh around 30lbs
- Easy to clean
- Has good ventilation with holes in the side of the crate
- Made in the USA
- Has metal inserts on the crate so you can stack or couple crates together, and also use them for tie downs
- Not the cheapest crate to purchase, but for the quality, it’s worth it
Best Heavy Duty Dog Crates: Buyer’s Guide
What Is A Heavy Duty Dog Crate?
A heavy duty dog crate is usually a steel or strong aluminium dog crate.
This is in comparison to the popular and most common metal wire, soft sided nylon, and hardened plastic dog crates for example.
Who Are Heavy Duty Dog Crates For?
Heavy duty dog crates are good for:
- People with houdini escape artist dogs
- People with dogs that chew, scratch or who are destructive
- Those with dogs that will fit in a crate up to 40 3/4 inches length x 28 1/8 inches width x 31 3/4 height
Who Are Heavy Duty Dog Crates NOT For?
- People on a budget for a dog crate
- People with dogs that are too big for a 40 inch crate
- People who have dogs suitable for metal wire, plastic and soft dog crates
Should I Get A Steel or Aluminium Dog Crate?
It depends on what you need from the crate, as the crates are designed differently and have different features and prices.
Read both the ProSelect and Zinger Winger dog crate reviews and see which one better suits your needs.
What Size Heavy Duty Dog Crate To Get, And How To Measure
Check these two things and measure your dog for:
- The weight capacity for the crate or kennel
- The height, length and width of the kennel should be 3-4 inches taller and longer than your pet so there’s ample space to fully stand up, easily turn around and comfortably lie all the way down
Are There Any Extra LargeHeavy Duty Dog Crates, or 48 Inch Heavy Duty Dog Crates?
Zinger Winger only makes up to a 40 inch crate, and ProSelect only makes a 42 inch crate.
Options for a 48 inch heavy duty crate are:
- Walcut 48 Inch Heavy Duty Steel Dog Crate (on Amazon)
- SmithBuilt 48 Inch Heavy Duty Steel Dog Crate (on Amazon)
Both of these crates are questionable in quality and design though, so be careful of that.
If you think you’ll be ok with a metal wire dog crate, and you have a Giant type dog, you can check out a 54 inch dog crate – the Midwest Solution Series “Ginormus” Double Door Dog Crate (on Amazon).
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here