When looking for the best dog crate for pickup trucks and truck beds, it’s imperative you put your dog’s safety first.
You absolutely want to know the laws and regulations for safe pet travel in vehicles in your area, and comply with them.
If you can ride with your secured dog inside the vehicle, that’s always a preference, but some people may not have that option.
In this informational guide, we look at the best dog crate and tether options for dogs riding in the back of a pickup truck or a truck bed.
Let’s jump into it!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Dog Crate For Pickup Truck & Truck Beds
Our top picks for the best dog crates for pickup trucks and truck beds are:
Plastic Or Molded Dog Crates
– Rough Tough Crates/Kennels
You can check out other plastic dog crates in this guide.
– Gunner G1 Dog Kennel
Aluminium Dog Crates and Kennels
– Owens Dog Boxes
Single Dog Boxes
- Owens (55015) Dog Box (on Amazon) – interior compartment measures 20″W x 29″D x 23″H
- Owens (55019) Dog Box (on Amazon) – dog box dimensions are 21″W x 38″D x 25″H
- Owens (55033L) Dog Box (on Amazon) – compartment dimensions are 24″W x 37″D x 29″H, for taller dogs
Double Dog Boxes
- Owens (55077) Dog Box (on Amazon) – each compartment measures 24″W x 35″D x 19″H
- Owens (55006) Dog Box (on Amazon) – each compartment measures 24″W x 44″D x 18″H
– Zinger Winger Dog Crates
Deluxe Series – Front Entry
- Zinger Winger DX 5000 Deluxe Aluminium Dog Crate (On Amazon)
- Zinger Winger DX 4500 Deluxe Aluminium Dog Crate (On Amazon)
- Zinger Winger DX 4000 Deluxe Aluminium Dog Crate (On Amazon)
- Zinger Winger DX 3000 Deluxe Aluminium Dog Crate (On Amazon)
“Escape Artist” Professional Series – Front Entry
- Zinger Winger PR5000 Professional Series Aluminium Dog Cate (on Amazon)
- Zinger Winger PR4500 Professional Series Aluminium Dog Cate (on Amazon)
- Zinger Winger PR4000 Professional Series Aluminium Dog Cate (on Amazon)
- Zinger Winger PR3000 Professional Series Aluminium Dog Cate (on Amazon)
– Impact Case Dog Crates
Stationary Dog Crate Series
- Impact Case Stationary Dog Crate – Size 500 (on Amazon) – Inner Dimensions 40L X 30T X 27W
- Impact Case Stationary Dog Crate – Size 450 (on Amazon) – Inner Dimensions 40L X 28T X 22.5W
- Impact Case Stationary Dog Crate – Size 400 (on Amazon) – Inner Dimensions 34L X 28T X 22.5W
Collapsible Dog Crate Series
- Impact Case Collapsible Dog Crate – Size 450 (on Amazon) – Inner Dimensions 40.5L X 28T X 22.5W
- Impact Case Collapsible Dog Crate – Size 400 (on Amazon) – Inner Dimensions 34L X 28T X 22.5W
- Impact Case Collapsible Dog Crate – Size 300 (on Amazon) – Inner Dimensions 30L X 22T X 20W
Soft Dog Crates
Bushwhacker® – Paws n Claws K9 Canopy w/ Pad and Tether for Truck Beds (on Amazon) – soft crate canopy for truck beds
*NOTE: you can check out this guide for the best dog tethers for truck beds.
Best Dog Crate For Pickup Truck & Truck Beds: Reviews
Rough Tough Heavy Duty Plastic Kennels With Composite Doors
Gunner G1 Kennels
Read more about the molded Gunner G1 Kennels in this guide.
Owens Dog Boxes
Owens create speciality dog boxes for trucks, that they make in the USA.
Their main dog boxes are the Striker Series, K9 Tactical Series, Pro Hunter Series and Hunter Series boxes.
They make both single dog boxes, and double dog boxes for two dogs in the one box, but characteristics that are common to their Striker Series boxes for example are:
- They are made of a diamond plate aluminium construction
- They come with vents in the box for ventilation
- They have plastic corrugate lined dog compartments, some are single lined or some are double lined
- They have Lockable T-Handles on the doors, with screw on storm covers
- They have galvanised carry handles
- They have storage compartments for tools, equipment and pet supplies
The best way to describe these boxes is extremely heavy duty, and designed especially for truck beds, hunting and outdoor activities that involve vehicles.
Because of their high quality, these boxes aren’t cheap.
Zinger Winger Deluxe Series
Read the Zinger Winger Deluxe Series review here.
Zinger Winger “Escape Artist” Professional Series
Impact Case Aluminium Dog Crates
Read the Impact Case Dog Crate reviews here.
Bushwhacker® – Paws n Claws K9 Canopy w/ Pad and Tether for Truck Beds
- A soft canopy designed for the back of trucks and truck beds
- It is made of polyester and a tear resistant mesh
- The canopy is designed to reflect light
- The half inch pad bed you get with the canopy is designed to be wiped down easily
- You get an adjustable dog tether with the canopy that attaches to the truck’s tie-down brackets. It’s 4 straps with gutter hooks
- Good to use for camping, backyards, garages, and any other time your dog requires shade and a comfortable bed in a truck bed
- The dimensions are 48″ Length x 32″ Width x 30″ Height.
- Not for heavy chewers
- If it does not have the weight of your dog of it, and you leave it on your truck, it can sometimes come off or partially detach in heavy wind and rain
Best Dog Crate For Pickup Truck & Truck Beds: Buyer’s Guide
Should I Get A Plastic, Aluminium or Soft Dog Crate For My Truck?
It really depends on the laws in your area, and what your requirements of the crate are.
The soft dog canopy is not an enclosed crate, but rather a canopy/shade.
Both the plastic and aluminium crates are very heavy duty, and as long as you can find a way to legally secure them, they should both be very safe.
What Is The Safest Way For A Dog To Travel In A Vehicle?
The safest way is the the way that complies with the laws and regulations for pet vehicle travel in your area.
This is usually being secured within the cabin part of the vehicle, either with a dog harness or a dog crate.
But, sometimes people choose to ride with their dog in the truck bed if it is safe and complying.
You still want to secure your dog in the truck bed in a sturdy dog crate.
How Do I Safely Secure The Dog Crate To The Truck Bed?
People usually do one of two things:
- Get a tether with the crate and tether the crate to the truck hook in points
- If the crate doesn’t come with tethers, people may get ratchet straps and attach or run them through the crate, and back to the truck tie in points
It’s very important to make sure that the crate can be secured through either tie down points, tether points or through another part of the crate.
For example, something we like about the Gunner G1 Kennel is that they have dedicated tie down pins.
Your truck should also have hook in points for securing to.
Make sure your securing method is safe and meets law requirements.
Dog Tethers For Truck Beds
Check out this guide for the best dog tethers for truck beds.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here