To get value for money out of a dog crate, it’s best to get a dog crate that grows with your puppy as they mature into a fully grown adult.
The good news is it’s not hard to find these crates.
You can either just buy a bigger crate that allows room for your dog to grow into it, or you can buy a crate with a divider panel that allows you to make the crate half it’s size when your puppy is small, and remove the divider panel for more space once your dog gets bigger.
Let’s check out the options!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Dog Crate That Grows With Your Puppy As They Get Bigger
Our top two value picks for dog crates that grow with your puppy are:
Best Value Metal Wire Dog Crate (Up to 48 Inch Available)
- Frisco Dog Crate (on Chewy) (up to 48 Inch available)
- MidWest iCrate (on Chewy) (up to 48 Inch available)
- MidWest iCrate (on Amazon)
Best Dog Crate That Grows With Your Puppy: Reviews
Midwest iCrate Folding Metal Dog Crate
Comes with a divider panel to half the area inside the crate for puppies when they are smaller
- Has a plastic dog crate floor/pan for accidents and spills – easy to clean
- Has a carry handle ontop of the crate
- Has two slide bolt latches on the door to secure it
- You can assemble the crate without tools
- Crate folds flat for either storage or for travel and portability
- Crate has rounded corners so that your dog doesn’t harm or injure themselves
- Comes with a single door, or double door option
- 7 sizes available – the biggest size is 48L x 30W x 33H, and fits large and extra large breed dogs
- Something to note with this crate is that while it’s certainly great value for the money, there are definitely stronger and more heavy duty crates on the market if your dog tends to destroy things
AmazonBasic Folding Metal Dog Crate
- Comes with a divider panel for sectioning off the crate when your dog is a puppy
- Comes in either a single or a double door option
- Doors come with dual slide bolt latches for more security
- Crate folds flat for storage or for transport
- Removable crate pan included for easy cleaning
- Comes in 6 sizes – largest size is 48 x 30 x 32.5 inches (LxWxH), and fits large and extra large dog breeds
- Made of metal, and is good value, but there are certainly more heavy duty dog crates on the market
Best Dog Crate That Grows With Your Puppy: Buyer’s Guide
What Are My Options For A Dog Crate That Grows With My Puppy?
As we mentioned in the intro of this guide, most people go with one of two options:
- Simply buy a crate that is going to be big enough for your dog to grow into when taking into account their adult dimensions
- Buy a crate that is big enough for your dog full grown, but get a crate with a panel divider so you can make it smaller for a puppy while they are small
The good thing about crate dividers is they can also be used for crate training.
How Do I Know How Big My Puppy Is Going To Get?
Get a rough estimate of how big your puppy is going to get using this interactive puppy growth chart.
What Size Crate Do I Buy For My Dog?
You’ll want to make sure your dog has enough room to enter and exit the crate, stand up in the crate and most importantly lay down in the crate – without having their body squeezed against the walls or ceiling of the crate.
So, make sure the crate is slightly bigger than the adult dimensions of your dog.
What Size Dog Bed or Crate Matt/Pad Do I Get For My Dog Crate?
Most dog beds and mats will fit inside a dog crate as long as you make sure the bed dimensions are slightly smaller than the length and width of the dog crate surface.
If you’re looking for heavy duty dog crate pads for chewers, check out this guide.
My Dog Is A Chewer…Are There Any Heavy Duty Chew Proof Crates?
Check out this guide about the best indestructible and chew resistant dog crates for aggressive chewers.
My Dog Is An Escape Artists…Are There Any Escape Proof/Inescapable Dog Crates?
Check out this guide about the best dog crates for escape artists.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here