Regardless of what type of dog door you are looking for, and where you want to install it, this guide should be very helpful for you
We’ve put together a list of the best dog doors and best pet doors to save you time and effort researching them yourself.
You’ll find a top rated dog door list, links to individual reviews of the door brands and models, as well as a buyer’s guide.
You can quickly find out what pet door best suits your preferences and your pet/s.
Let’s check them out!!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Dog Doors & Pet Doors in 2019/20: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Our top picks for the best dog doors and pet doors are:
Regular Pet Doors
Ideal Pet Products Original Plastic Pet Door (on Amazon) – for pets up to around 120lbs, and has a flap size of up to 15 inches wide x 20 Inches high for the biggest model
BarksBar Original Plastic Dog Door (on Amazon) – for pets up to 100lbs, and has a flap size opening of 10.5 inches wide x 15 inches high
PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminium Pet Door (on Amazon) – pet door for walls. Biggest flap opening size is 10 x 15 inches, for pets up to around 100lbs
PetSafe Freedom Aluminium Pet Door (on Amazon) – pet door for door mounting. Biggest size has a 13 3/4″ W x 23 3/4″ H flap opening, for pets up to 220lbs
Heavy Duty &/Or Weatherproof Pet Doors
Door Mounted Plexidor Dog Door (on Amazon), or Wall Mounted Plexidor Dog Door (on Amazon) – strong and secure pet door, with largest size offering a flap opening of 16 inches wide by 23 3/4 inches high, for pets up to 220lbs
Security Boss MaxSeal Pet Door For Doors (on Amazon) – Insulating, Sealing and Security Pet Door. Largest size flap opening is 15 3/4 inches wide x 32 inches high, for extra large to Giant dogs
Endura Flap Double Flap Door Mount Pet Door (on Amazon) – energy efficient dog door. Extra Large model has a 12″ w x 22″ h flap opening, for extra large to Giant dogs
Ideal Pet Products Ruff Weather Dog Door (on Amazon) – insulated pet door. Largest size has a flap opening of 15 inches wide by 23.5 inches tall, for pets up to around 120lbs
Perfect Pet The All Weather Energy Efficient Dog Door (on Amazon) – insulated pet door. Has a 15 inch x 23.5 inch flap opening, for pets up to around 120lbs
PetSafe Extreme Weather Pet Door (on Amazon) – energy efficient pet door. Biggest model has a 10 1/8 inches width by 16 1/4 inches height flap opening, for dogs up to around 100lbs
Electronic & Automatic Pet Doors
SureFlap Microchip Pet Door (on Amazon) – electronic small pet door. Flap opening of 7 inches wide x 6.7 inches high
Wall Mount Plexidor Electronic Dog Door (on Amazon), and Door Mount Plexidor Electronic Dog Door (on Amazon) – electronic/automatic pet door with up to a 12 3/4 inches wide by 20 inches high flap opening, for pets up to around 125 lbs
High Tech Power Pet Door (on Amazon) – electronic pet door. Has a flap opening of up to 12-1/4 by 16 inches, and is for pets up to 100 lbs
Aluminum & Vinyl Sliding Glass Door Pet Doors
PetSafe Freedom Aluminium Patio Panel Sliding Glass Door Pet Door (on Amazon) – for aluminum sliding glass doors. Largest model flap opening size is 10 inches wide x 16 inches high, with an 8 inch rise below, for pets up to around 130lbs
Ideal Pet Products Vinyl Sliding Glass Door Pet Door (on Amazon) – for vinyl sliding glass doors. Extra Large flap opening size is 10.25 inches wide x 15.75 inches high, for pets up to around 120lbs
Window Sash Pet Door
Ideal Pet Products Aluminum Sash Window Pet Door (on Amazon) – for window sashes. Biggest size has a 10.5 x 15 inch flap opening, for pets up to around 120lbs
Screen Door Pet Doors
Ideal Pet Doors Screen Guard Pet Door (on Amazon) – for screen doors with a screen guard. Extra Large size has a flap opening of 10-1/2″ x 15″ for dogs up to around 90lbs
Best Dog Doors & Pet Doors: Reviews
You can also find individual reviews for each brand of dog door listed above here:
- Ideal Pet Products Original Plastic Pet Door – Reviews Guide
- BarksBar Original Plastic Dog Door – Reviews Guide
- PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Pet Door – Reviews Guide
- PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminum Pet Door – Review Guide
- Plexidor Pet Doors – Reviews Guide
- Security Boss MaxSeal Pet Door – Reviews Guide
- Endura Flap Double Flap Door Mount Pet Door – Reviews Guide
- Ideal Pet Products Ruff Weather Pet Door – Review Guide
- Perfect Pet The All Weather Energy Efficient Dog Door – Reviews Guide
- PetSafe Extreme Weather Pet Door – Reviews Guide
- SureFlap Microchip Pet Door – Review Guide
- Plexidor Electronic Dog Door – Reviews Guide
- High Tech Power Pet Door – Reviews Guide
- PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Sliding Glass Door Pet Door – Review Guide
- Ideal Pet Products Vinyl Sliding Glass Door Pet Door – Review Guide
- Ideal Pet Products Aluminum Sash Window Pet Door – Review Guide
We’ve also listed some of the best dog doors for specific purposes here:
- Best Dog Doors For Large, Extra Large and Giant Dog Breeds
- Best Dog Doors For Small Dog Breeds
- Best Dog Doors For Wall Mounting and Wall Installation
- Best Electronic and Automatic Dog Doors
- Best Weatherproof, Insulated and Energy Efficient Dog Doors
- Best Dog Door For Cold Weather and Cold Climates
- Best Dog Door Sliding Glass Aluminum Doors
- Best Dog Door For Sliding Glass Vinyl Door
- Best Dog Door For A Sliding Screen Door
- Best Dog Door For A Brick Wall or Exterior Wall
- Best Dog Door For A Garage Wall
- Best Dog Door For A Balcony
Best Dog Doors & Pet Doors: Buyer’s Guide & FAQ
What Is A Dog Door?
It’s a door for dogs that allows them to enter and exit inside and outside areas by themselves by passing through the door.
Types Of Dog Doors
Some of the most common types of dog doors are:
- Regular plastic and aluminum framed dog doors
- Wall mounted dog doors
- Electronic and Automatic dog doors
- Weatherproof, insulated and energy efficient dog doors for cold or hot climates
- Heavy duty dog doors
- High security dog doors
- Aluminum sliding door dog doors
- Aluminum window sash dog doors
- Screen door dog doors
Where Are Dog Doors Mounted and Installed?
Some common places dog doors may be installed are:
- Regular household doors
- Internal household walls
- External household walls
- Aluminum sliding glass doors
- Vinyl sliding glass doors
- Aluminum window sashes
The dog door product description provided by the manufacturer should tell you where you can install or mount the dog door.
How To Measure A Dog For A Dog Door
The dog door product description provided by the manufacturer should tell you how to measure the dog door for your dog. But in general you may measure by:
- Measuring the width of the rib cage
- Measuring from the floor to the top of your pet’s shoulders
- Make sure the flap opening on the door is big enough for your pet based on these measurements
How To Install A Dog Door
The dog door manufacturer should tell you how to install the dog door and give you detailed instruction and a manual/guide on how do so.
Also, note that installing a regular door, wall, aluminum sliding door, electronic dog door and so on, all require slightly different requirements and considerations – which is why it’s so important to read the installation guide and instructions for specific factors to know. It may also pay to find YouTube or website videos showing you how to install the pet door.
But in general you may install by:
- deciding whether you will do a DIY install or pay a professional to help you
- planning where you will install the dog door and making sure you have everything in the existing area that you need to install the new dog door
- For example, an electronic dog door may need a power outlet/source, a sliding dog door may need a big enough sliding door and certain bottom to top track height, a wall mount dog door may only fit in a certain thickness wall, and so on!
- Get the dog door kit and make sure everything you need is in there like the door, frame, tunnel, hardware, cutout guide/template, weatherproofing strips and so on. Buy any additional hardware, sealant, timber packing and framing etc. that you need from a hardware store
- Make sure you have the right tools for the install such as a cutting tool, a drill, a screwdriver (can be phillips head or sometimes a non standard screw is included in the kit so check this), and so on.
- Measure and plan where and how you will install the dog door and at what height. You may need to mark it. Consider the height of your dog, the height of the lip of the dog door, and make sure you are installing the dog door at a height that is comfortable for your dog to walk through.
- For regular dog doors you might cut out a section of the wall or door, insert and fix a frame or tunnel extender into the wall or door, and then fix the pet door onto the frame (and seal and weatherproof it).
- For sliding door dog doors you may just need to snap and secure the dog door into the frame without cutting
- Automatic dog doors may run on batteries, or need to be plugged into or hardwired into a power source
- and so on for each type of dog door, and mounting location
Make sure you keep order documents and receipts, and read the warranty before and after installing the dog door in case there are any issues.
Training Your Dog To Use A Dog Door
Not all dogs are comfortable with using dog and pet doors straight away.
You may need to do some basic positive reinforcement and praise/treat training to encourage your dog to use the door.
A manufacturer should provide you with instructions on how to train your dog to use the door and get them familiar with it.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here