Most pet doors are made for a regular household door installation or mounting, but what about if you want to install a pet door into a wall?
The good news is that there are still a lot of options if this is your preference.
We’ve identified the best dog doors for wall installation and mounting across a range of dog door types such as standard wall mounted dog doors, weatherproof wall mounted dog doors, and even electronic wall mounted dog doors.
You should be able to find something that suits your needs.
Let’s check out these wall installed pet doors more closely!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s).
Best Dog Door For Wall Installation & Mounting
Our top picks for the best dog doors for wall installation and mounting are:
- PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminium Pet Door (on Amazon) – pet door for walls. Fits wall thickness of 4.75 in. – 7.25 in. Biggest flap opening size is 10 x 15 inches, for pets up to around 100lbs
- PetSafe Wall Entry PVC Frame (on Amazon)
- Ideal Pet Products Original Plastic Pet Door (on Amazon), with Ideal Pet Products Wall Installation Kit (on Amazon) – Wall install kit is for Fits wall thicknesses of 4.75 in. – 7.25 in. Pet door is for pets up to around 120lbs, and has a flap size of up to 15 inches wide x 20 Inches high for the biggest model
- Ideal Pet Products Ruff Weather Dog Door (on Amazon), with Ideal Pet Products Wall Installation Kit (on Amazon) – insulated pet door. Wall install kit is for Fits wall thicknesses of 4.75 in. – 7.25 in. Largest pet door size has a flap opening of 15 inches wide by 23.5 inches tall, for pets up to around 120lbs
- Perfect Pet The All Weather Energy Efficient Dog Door (on Amazon), with Ideal Pet Products Wall Installation Kit (on Amazon) – insulated pet door. Wall install kit is for Fits wall thicknesses of 4.75 in. – 7.25 in. Pet door has a 15 inch x 23.5 inch flap opening, for pets up to around 120lbs
- PetSafe Extreme Weather Pet Door (on Amazon) – for door or wall install. Fits walls 1 5/8 – 2 1/4 inches thick. Energy efficient pet door. Biggest model has a 10 1/8 inches width by 16 1/4 inches height flap opening, for dogs up to around 100lbs
- Wall Mounted Plexidor Dog Door (on Amazon) – strong and secure pet door, with largest size offering a flap opening of 16 inches wide by 23 3/4 inches high, for pets up to 220lbs. Can be installed into stud, brick, block or cement walls up to 12 inches thick
- Security Boss MaxSeal Pet Doors For Walls (on Amazon) – Insulating, Sealing and Security Pet Door. Largest size flap opening is 15 3/4 inches wide x 32 inches high, for extra large to Giant dogs. Fits Any Wall 2″ to 10″ Thick
- Endura Flap Double Flap Wall Mount Pet Door (on Amazon) – energy efficient dog door. Extra Large model has a 12″ w x 22″ h flap opening, for extra large to Giant dogs. Fits walls up to 8″ in thickness
- Wall Mount Plexidor Electronic Dog Door (on Amazon)– electronic/automatic pet door with up to a 12 3/4 inches wide by 20 inches high flap opening, for pets up to around 125 lbs. Can be installed into stud, brick, block or cement walls up to 12 inches thick
- High Tech Power Pet Door (on Amazon), with High Tech Pet Wall Adapter Tunnel (on Amazon) – electronic pet door. Has a flap opening of up to 12-1/4 by 16 inches, and is for pets up to 100 lbs, Wall extender is for walls up to 4 inches thick
Best Dog Door For Wall: Reviews
You can read reviews for the above wall mounted pet doors here:
Best Dog Door For Wall Installation & Mounting: Buyer’s Guide
What To Look For In A Pet Door For Wall Installation & Mounting
A manufacturer should let you know:
– that their pet door is suitable for wall installation (some of these pet doors may also be able to be door mounted too)
– what types of walls you can install the pet door on
– what thickness of walls you can install the pet door on
– whether the door comes with a wall installation kit/wall tunnel extender, or whether you have to buy a wall installation kit as an extra
– what the wall installation process is – how you install the pet door on a wall and what you’ll need
How To Measure A Dog For A Pet Door
The manufacturer should give you instructions on how to measure your dog.
But generally, you might:
– Measure the width of the rib cage
– Measure from the floor to the top of your pet’s shoulders
Consider the width of the flap opening, and what height the top of the flap opening is above floor level, and compare those measurements to your dog’s measurements to select the right size pet door.
How To Install A Dog Door In A Wall
There’s no substitute for following the manufacturer’s instructions for installing their Pet Door product which should come with the door, or should be found on their website. They may also have YouTube videos to help you.
Generally, for most Pet Doors you need to cut out a section of the wall, insert and fix a frame or tunnel extender into the wall or door, and then fix the door onto the frame, and seal and weatherproof it.
This may involve using cutting tool, a drill, a screwdriver (can be phillips head or sometimes a non standard screw is included in the kit so check this), and the hardware included in the pet door kit.
Some people choose to install themselves, whilst some people choose to get a professional handyperson to do it for them.
For the wall frame/tunnel, the standard pet door wall extender tunnels can be flimsy and not hold their shape. Some people choose to make their own tunnel or frame in the wall for more strength and security, or pack the existing tunnel/frame with supporting timber.
Other Dog Doors
You can check out the best dog doors across different dog door types in this guide.
We also include information such as how to pick the right size dog door, and how to install a dog door.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here