When looking for the best dog door for your Boxer, you’ll first want to know what type of dog door you want, and where you want to install/mount it.
Then you’ll want to consider that Boxers are a large sized breed of dog, so you’ll want a dog door with a large sized opening or flap for them to fit through.
What we’ve done to make things easy for you is provided you with reviews of the best models and brands of dog doors that can fit up to large sized dog breeds.
We’ve also provided other helpful information that should clear up queries you have about the points above.
Without further ado, let’s jump into this guide!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Best Dog Doors For Boxer Dogs & Puppies
Our top picks for the best dog doors for Boxers are:
Regular Pet Doors
For Installation Into Doors
- PetSafe Plastic Pet Door (on Amazon)
- Ideal Pet Products Designer Series Original Plastic Pet Door (on Chewy)
- Ideal Pet Products Original Plastic Pet Door (on Amazon) – for pets up to around 120lbs, and has a flap size of up to 15 inches wide x 20 Inches high for the biggest model
- BarksBar Plastic Dog Door (on Chewy)
- BarksBar Original Plastic Dog Door (on Amazon) – for pets up to 100lbs, and has a flap size opening of 10.5 inches wide x 15 inches high
- PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Pet Door (on Chewy)
- PetSafe Freedom Aluminium Pet Door (on Amazon) – pet door for door mounting. Biggest size has a 13 3/4″ W x 23 3/4″ H flap opening, for pets up to 220lbs
For Installation Into Walls
- PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminum Pet Door (on Chewy)
- PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminium Pet Door (on Amazon) – pet door for walls. Biggest flap opening size is 10 x 15 inches, for pets up to around 100lbs
- PetSafe Wall Entry PVC Frame (on Amazon)
Extra Large &/Or Heavy Duty Pet Doors
- PlexiDor Performance Pet Doors Dog Door Installation (on Chewy), or PlexiDor Performance Pet Doors Door Mount Dog & Cat Door (on Chewy)
- Door Mounted Plexidor Dog Door (on Amazon) – strong and secure pet door, with largest size offering a flap opening of 16 inches wide by 23 3/4 inches high, for pets up to 220lbs
- Security Boss MaxSeal Pet Door For Doors (on Amazon) – Insulating, Sealing and Security Pet Door. Largest size flap opening is 15 3/4 inches wide x 32 inches high, for extra large to Giant dogs
- PlexiDor Performance Pet Doors Wall Mount Dog & Cat Door (on Chewy), or PlexiDor Performance Pet Doors Dog Door Wall Installation (on Chewy)
- Wall Mounted Plexidor Dog Door (on Amazon) – strong and secure pet door, with largest size offering a flap opening of 16 inches wide by 23 3/4 inches high, for pets up to 220lbs
Other Dog Door Types
If you want to see more dog door options in terms of other dog door types, and dog doors for mounting on different locations, you can read this guide about the best dog doors on the market.
We outline plastic and aluminum dog doors, electronic and automatic dog doors, heavy duty dog doors, secure and lockable dog doors, insulated, weatherproof and energy efficient dog doors for different climates, dog doors for small and extra large dogs, and more.
We also outline dog doors for regular doors, walls, sliding doors, screen doors, window sashes, and more.
Best Dog Door For A Boxer: Reviews
You can also find individual reviews for each brand and model of dog door listed above here:
Best Dog Door For A Boxer: Buyer’s Guide
What To Consider When Getting A Dog Door For A Boxer?
There’s probably three main things you want to consider …
Boxers are a large sized breed of dog, so you’ll want a dog door with a large sized opening or flap that they can fit through
You’ll want to know the type of dog door you want e.g. a weatherproof dog door, a heavy duty dog door, an electronic dog door etc.
You’ll want to know where you want to install the dog door e.g. on a regular door, a wall, a sliding door etc.
What Size Dog Door To Get For A Boxer Dog Or Puppy?
For any puppy, it’s probably worth waiting until you have an idea of how big they are going to be (at around 12 to 18 months you may be able to get a good idea) before you look at getting a dog door.
Otherwise you’ll buy a dog door smaller than the adult full grown size of your dog.
A full grown Boxer is usually, on average, a large sized breed up to about 80lbs in weight, and stands about 22-25 inches at the shoulders/withers in height.
So, you’ll want to be looking at large size models of dog doors for Boxers that take this into account.
When considering the size of dog door you’ll need to measure your dog/s specifically to determine the exact dog door and dog door size you need.
Dog door manufacturers give you sizing instructions and sizing charts in their product description – so make sure you follow this information in picking a dog door size.
How To Measure A Boxer For A Dog Door?
The dog door product description provided by the manufacturer should tell you how to measure the dog door for your individual dog/s.
But in general you may measure by:
Measuring the width of the rib cage of your dog (for the width of the dog door opening)
Measuring from the floor to the top of your pet’s shoulders/withers (for the height of the dog door opening)
Compare these measurements to the dimensions of the dog door opening, flaps or interior panels that open to let your dog in and out when picking a dog door.
You may choose to give your dog an inch or two extra room than you think they might need in the size of dog door you pick.
One other small thing to consider is the lip/bottom of the dog door frame and how high it is.
When you mount the dog door, you want to mount it at a height that allows your dog to pass through without tripping over, and so they can lift their legs over the lip.
Boxers are large size in weight, but have a decent height and clearance from the ground with their legs at 23-25 inches high at their withers, so, you may consider this as well in your pick.
Where To Find Out More About Dog Doors?
In this guide you can find helpful information like:
The different locations you might mount a dog door
The different types of dog doors
How you might plan to and actually install a dog door
The best dog doors for specific scenarios
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here