Through wall and in wall dog doors are great for people who want a different option from a door mounted dog door.
The best dog door for walls will come in different sizes for different sized dogs, and will also be able to adjust to different thickness walls.
It also helps if the dog door can be installed on interior and exterior walls, as well as doors.
We’ve reviewed and broken down what we think is the best in wall dog door on the market right now.
Let’s get into it…
Top Rated List of Best Dog Door For Wall
Best Through Wall Dog Door (for Wall mounting) – PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminum Pet Doors (On Amazon)
**NOTE: other dog doors can be installed in walls with extenders and door tunnels. You can read more in other guides here to see which ones could be more suitable for you:
Best Dog Door For Wall: Reviews
PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminum Pet Doors
The PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminum Pet Door comes with a plastic and aluminium frame, double pet door flaps, and sliding security panel.
It is designed primarily for internal and external wall mounting, but could be used for doors too.
Who Is This Dog Door For?
- Those looking for a pet door for interior or exterior walls
Who Is This Dog Door Not For?
- Those looking for a pet door designed for door mounting
What’s Good About It?
- Comes in three sizes – Small, Medium and Large
- Can be mounted on both interior and exterior walls
- Installation instructions, cutting template and hardware included
- Telescoping tunnel for easy installation – walls of different thicknesses – fits doors & walls 12 – 18 cm thick (4.7 to 7 inches)
- For dogs up to 45 kg or 99 pounds
- Has a double flap with middle air lock for better weatherproofing
- Internal sliding panel for extra security and weatherproofing included
- Don’t need to box out the gap when installing
What’s Not So Great?
- Some dogs need training to get through the double flap
- Decent weatherproofing but not the best
What Else Do You Need To Use This Dog Door?
- Cutting tool, drill and screwdriver required for installation. If installing into brick, you may need to call a professional
- PetSafe Universal Pet Door Installation and Weather Proofing Kit (On Amazon) (optional) – for extra weatherproofing
Where Can I Check Out This Dog Door?
Best Dog Door For Wall: Buyer’s Guide & FAQ
Other Names For Dog Doors For Walls
- In Wall Dog Door
- Through Wall Dog Door
What Is An In Wall Dog Door?
A dog door that can be installed and used on walls (mounted in walls), as opposed to doors.
What Types Of In Wall Dog Doors Are There?
1. Through wall dog doors for small, medium and large dogs
2. Through wall dog doors that have telescoping tunnels (to adjust the depth of the door) to adjust to different thickness walls
What Are Through Wall Dog Doors Used For?
Through wall dog doors can be installed/mounted in both internal, and external house walls.
Some can even be mounted in doors too.
Which Through Wall Dog Door To Get – How To Choose?
Choose a dog door for your wall that fits these criteria:
1. Is rated for the size of your dog in pounds (measure your dog’s other dimensions too)
2. Is big enough in depth to fit through your wall cavity and actually be installed in the wall
Features To Look For, And Considerations To Make With In Wall Dog Doors
- What is the frame made of – plastic, aluminium, some other type of metal?
- How many flaps does the dog door have?
- Is there any security features like a slide bolt or slide panel?
- Can the dog door be used for both internal AND external walls?
- Can the dog door be used for doors as well as walls?
- Does the dog door come in different sizes?
- Are cutting templates included?
- Does the door have a telescoping tunnel to adjust for different thickness walls?
- What size dogs is the dog door rated for?
- How many flaps does the dog door have?
- Does the dog door have weatherproofing?
- What sort of security does the dog door have – bolt, or security sliding panel?
Through Wall Dog Door – Accessories & Extras
- Cutting template
- Cutting tools
- Weatherproofing kit
- Possibly call a professional if dog door in wall installation involves building type works
Best Dog Door For Wall: Resources
“thedailyshep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com”
“Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com Inc., or its affiliates”
Disclaimer: TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only, and is based on either our own reading or own experiences, as a means of free speech. By consuming this information, you accept that we do not have client or patient relationship with you. Please consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional before taking any action on anything you read from TheDailyShep.com
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading 🙂