Sliding glass doors are different to regular timber and MDF doors when it comes to installing a dog door.
The best dog door for sliding glass doors will easily be inserted or snapped into the existing sliding door track.
It’s actually much easier that a timber or MDF door as there’s no cutting of opening holes, or caulking/sealing to do.
Good dog doors for sliding glass doors also come in different heights and with different layout and frame colours to match your existing sliding door as closely as possible.
Let’s look at your options…
Top Rated List of Best Dog Door For Sliding Glass Door
Best Dog Door For Sliding Glass Door – PetSafe Freedom Aluminium Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door (On Amazon)
Best Dog Door For Sliding Glass Door: Reviews
PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door
The PetSafe Freedom Aluminium Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door is a full height pet door.
You install it into your existing sliding door track (the pet door is full height).
It comes with an aluminium framed pet door, flexible flap, sliding internal screen for extra security, and glass panel with top adjustor.
Who Is This Dog Door For?
- Those looking for a dog door or pet door to fit in their glass sliding door
Who Is This Dog Door Not For?
- Those looking for a regular dog door to fit in a timber door or wall
What’s Good About It?
- Comes in two sizes – 76 13/16″ – 81″ AND 91 7/16″ – 96″
- Comes in four different layout styles with different widths – Small, Medium, Large, Large-Tall
- Comes in 3 different colors – White, Satin and Bronze
- No cutting is required – you simply install it into your existing sliding door track
- If you ever move or want to take the dog door with you, you can simply take it out of the track – GREAT for people who rent
- Heavy Duty aluminium frame
- Shatter resistant and tempered glass
- Sliding screen comes with a latch for locking and extra security
- Weatherproofing includes weatherstrips around the frame, magnetic seal on the door flap and sliding screen behind door
What’s Not So Great?
- Not the cheapest dog or pet door on the market – but, when you consider it’s a full height door with glass and aluminium frame, it makes sense
- 96″ model comes in 2 parts and does take a little longer to set up and install
- Weather stripping isn’t the absolute highest quality – may need to re-stick it every 6 months or so
- Like most dog doors with magnetic strips, the magnet doesn’t always fully stick
What Else Do You Need To Use This Dog Door?
- Screwdriver and potentially a drill to install the door into the track
Where Can I Check Out This Dog Door?
Best Dog Door For Sliding Glass Door: Buyer’s Guide & FAQ
What Is A Dog Door For Sliding Glass Doors?
A dog door for sliding glass doors is a dog door that differs to standard dog doors that fit into timber or MDF doors.
Sliding glass door dog doors are much bigger, taller, and match the aluminium frame and glass layout of the sliding glass door.
Compared to a dog doors for timber and MDF doors, sliding door dog doors snap into the existing sliding door track – and don’t need opening holes cut out and sealed.
What Types Of Dog Doors Are There For Sliding Glass Doors?
The dog doors for sliding glass doors are usually sorted into types by:
1) How tall and wide they are – their dimensions
2) Their layout of dog door, framing and glass panel – you can get different layouts
Which Dog Door To Get For Sliding Glass Doors – How To Choose?
1) Choose the height and dimensions that match your existing sliding door
2) Choose the frame color and panel layout that matches your exiting door
*Make sure the frame type is compatible to install.
What Considerations To Make, and Features To Look For When Looking At Dog Doors For Sliding Glass Doors
- What height is the dog door – is it the full height of your sliding door?
- How does the dog door install into your sliding door? – does it install into the door track?
- Does the dog door frame match your sliding door frame? Should usually be aluminum framed
- What level of security does the door have? – does it have a bolt lock or sliding security panel?
- Are there various sized doors available for different sized sliding doors?
- Are there different door layout models available?
- Does the dog door come in different colors to match your existing frame?
- How easy is it to install and uninstall the dog door from the track?
- If the dog door has glass in it, is it shatter resistant, tempered, or does the glass have any other properties or protection?
- Is there any sealing or weatherproofing in the door?
Dog Door For Sliding Glass Door – Accessories & Extras
- Installation tools – screwdriver and maybe a drill
Best Dog Door For Sliding Glass Door: Resources
“thedailyshep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com”
“Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com Inc., or its affiliates”
Friendly Disclaimer 🙂
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here 🙂