We’ve put together a useful buyer’s guide and reviews for you of the best tall and extra tall dog gates.
Tall & Extra Tall dog gates usually fall within the 35 to 45 inches range, with most regular dog gates being anywhere from around 18 to 30 inches.
Tall & Extra Tall dog gates are good for bigger dog or babies who might find it easy to try to climb over or hand on smaller gates.
Let’s check out some of the more popular options on the market!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Tall & Extra Tall Dog Gates: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Our top picks for the best tall & extra tall dog gates are:
- Dreambaby Chelsea Extra Tall and Wide Gate (on Amazon) – 40 inches tall, fits openings 38-53 inches wide, or up to 198.5 inches wide with optional extensions sold separately
- Regalo Easy Step Extra Tall Walk-Through Gate, 41 Inches Tall (on Chewy)
- Regalo Easy Step Walk Through Extra Tall Dog Gate, White (on Amazon) – 41 inches tall, fits between spaces 29-39 inches, and is for 6-36 month old children
- MidWest Steel Pet Gate (on Chewy) – 39 inches high, and expands from 29.5 to 38 inches wide
- MidWest Steel Pet Gate (on Amazon)
Best Tall & Extra Tall Dog Gates: Reviews
Dreambaby Chelsea Extra Tall and Wide Gate
You can read the full Dreambaby Chelsea Extra Tall & Wide Gate Review here.
Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk Through Gate
You can read the full Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk Through Gate Review here .
Regalo Home Accents Extra Tall Walk Through Gate
You can read the full Regalo Home Accents Extra Tall Walk Through Gate Review here.
Regalo Easy Step Walk Through Extra Tall Dog Gate, White
You can read the full Regalo Easy Step Walk Through Extra Tall Dog Gate Review here.
Carlson Extra Tall Pet Gate (with Small Pet Door)
You can read the full Carlson Extra Tall Pet Gate (with Small Pet Door) Review here.
Internet’s Best Freestanding Pet Gate with Arched Top
Best Tall & Extra Tall Dog Gates: Buyer’s Guide
What’s Good About Tall & Extra Tall Dog Gates?
- They provide more height for larger dogs
- They provide more height for children you like to hand or climb on shorter gates
- The walk through gate is at a higher level for taller adults – saves you having to bend down to pull up the lever or push to unlock button on the dog gate
Any Drawbacks To Tall & Extra Tall Dog Gates?
- There is a higher centre of gravity on them and they weigh slightly more, so you want to make sure with some of them that they are wall or hardware mounted to support the gate
What Size Tall & Extra Tall Dog Gate Should You Get?
It usually depends on three things:
- The size of your dog. The bigger the dog, usually the taller of a dog gate you want to get
- The width of the opening or space you want to block off. The bigger the opening, the wider of a dog gate you want to get.
- You also want to make sure you can fit through the gate if it has a door, and that other openings are big enough
Types Of Pet Gates
Some of the major types of pet gates to be aware of are:
- Pressure mounted pet gates
- Hardware mounted gates
- Freestanding gates
- 2 in 1, or All in one gates – might combine freestanding, pressure mounted, hardware mounted, and exercise pen capabilities
Some types of gates may also be:
- Extra tall
- Extra wide
- Be built with heavier duty materials
- + have other specific characteristics
Walk Through vs Swing Open vs Step Over Dog Gates
There’s usually 3 ways you can pass through or over a dog gate whilst still blocking your dog from passing:
- Walk Through – the dog gate has a door built in with a simple lock. You pass through the door and close/lock it when you’re through it
- Swing Open – the entire gate barrier can be lifted off the hinges mounted on the walls and swung open and shut
- Step Over – usually smaller gates for small dogs. You can completely step over these gates because of their height whilst still blocking your dog
A Few Other Things To Be Aware Of When Buying A Pet Gate
- Make sure you measure the size of the opening you want to install the gate into, and check what size opening the gate is suitable for
- Check the size of the gate door opening if it has one, and clearance of any step overs if relevant
- Make sure the gate is tall enough for pets you want to keep contained, and that your pets won’t knock it over, try to jump it, or break it
- Check the gate will be able to be secured properly and safely for your intended uses
- Check the age of child the gate is designed for (if you intend on using it for kids too)
- Check that the gate meets any relevant safety regulations and standards, and is going to be safe for the intended use in general
- Read the set up, operation and safety instructions prior to use
- Check the gate aesthetically matches in with your home
- Check if the gate is a multiple use gate
- Check if any add ons, kits or extensions come with the gate
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here