We put together this guide for helping you pick the best dog gate for your Yorkie.
Yorkies are a toy to small breed of dog that average 4 to 6 lbs in weight and around 8 to 9 inches in height.
You’ll want to get a dog gate that takes into account this height and weight, but that also fits the width of the opening you want to block off in your house.
Let’s take a look at the top options with helpful reviews and a buyer’s guide!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Best Dog Gate For A Yorkie
Our top picks for the best dog gates for a Yorkie are:
Pressure Mounted Gates
- Regalo Easy Step 38.5-Inch Extra Wide Walk Thru Baby Gate (on Amazon) . Expands to fit openings between 29-34 and 35-38.5 inches wide. Stands 30 inches tall
- MyPet Windsor Arch Pet Gate (on Chewy) – adjusts to fit openings 28.25– 38.25 inches wide, and is 28.5 inches high
- Summer Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate (on Amazon) – several sizes available. The largest 38” extra tall gate fits openings 29.5” to 53” wide and has a wide door
- MidWest Steel Pet Gate (on Chewy) – 39 inches high, and expands from 29.5 to 38 inches wide
- Regalo 56-Inch Extra WideSpan Walk Through Baby Gate (on Amazon) – Expands to fit openings between 29-56 inches wide. Stands 30 inches tall
- MidWest Steel Pet Gate (on Amazon)
- Carlson Pet Products Extra Wide Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door (on Chewy) – measures 30 inches in height and expands to fit openings from 29 to 36.5 inches
- Carlson Extra Wide Walk Through Pet Gate with Small Pet Door (on Amazon)
- Regalo Easy Step Extra Tall Walk-Through Gate (on Chewy) – measures 41 inches in height and expands to fit openings between 29 and 36.5 inches with an included 4-inch extension
- Regalo Easy Step Extra Tall Walk Thru Baby Gate, Black (on Amazon)
- Regalo Easy Step Extra Tall Walk Thru Baby Gate, White (on Amazon)
- Carlson Pet Products Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door (on Chewy) – measures 36 inches in height and expands to fit openings from 29 to 36.5 inches
- Carlson Extra Tall Walk Through Pet Gate with Small Pet Door (on Amazon)
- Dreambaby Chelsea Extra Tall and Wide Gate (on Amazon) – 40 inches tall, fits openings 38-53 inches wide, or up to 198.5 inches wide with optional extensions sold separately.
- North States Supergate Easy Close Gate (on Amazon) – 30 inches tall and fits 29.5 inches – 38.75 inches width spaces with the included extensions.
- Regalo Easy Open 47-Inch Super Wide Walk Thru Baby Gate (on Amazon) – Expands to fit openings between 29-38 and 42-47 inches wide. Stands 30 inches tall
- Safety 1st Easy Install Extra Tall and Wide Baby Gate (on Amazon) – 36 inches high, and adjustable to fit wide doorways and openings ranging from 29 to 47 inches wide
Hardware Mounted Gates
- MyPet Windsor Extra Wide Arch Pet Gate (on Chewy) – heavy-duty stainless-steel construction, and adjusts to fit openings 38.3 to 72 inches wide, and is 30 inches high
- MyPet Windsor Walk Thru Swing Gate (on Chewy) – fit openings 28.68 to 47.85 inches wide and is 31 inches high
- North States Supergate Deluxe Dècor Gate (on Amazon) – 30 inches high and fits openings 38.3 to 72 inches wide. Or, up to 13 feet with additional extensions.
- Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk Through Gate (on Amazon) – 36 inches tall, fits openings 28-48″ wide.
- Regalo 192-Inch Super Wide Adjustable Gate and Play Yard, 4-In-1 (on Amazon) – 28 inches tall, and fits openings up to 192 inches wide.
- Regalo Deluxe Home Accents 74-Inch Widespan Safety Gate (on Amazon) – Fits openings up to 74.5 inches wide and stands 29 inches tall
- Evenflo Expansion/Retractable Walk Through Room Divider Gate (on Amazon) – is 32″ tall, and fits openings 24 to 60″ wide
Other Dog Gates
Best Dog Gate For A Yorkie: Reviews
We outline brands such as:
– North States (Toddleroo)
– Summer Infant
– Dreambaby Chelsea
– Internet’s Best
Best Dog Gate For A Yorkie: Buyer’s Guide
What Size Dog Gate Should You Get For Your Yorkie?
It usually depends on three things:
The size of your dog. The bigger the dog, usually the taller of a dog gate you want to get
The width of the opening or space you want to block off. The bigger the opening, the wider of a dog gate you want to get.
You also want to make sure you can fit through the gate if it has a door, and that other openings are big enough
Types Of Pet Gates
Some of the major types of pet gates to be aware of are:
Pressure mounted pet gates
Hardware mounted gates
2 in 1, or All in one gates – might combine freestanding, pressure mounted, hardware mounted, and exercise pen capabilities
Some types of gates may also be:
Be built with heavier duty materials
+ have other specific characteristics
Walk Through vs Swing Open vs Step Over Dog Gates
There’s usually 3 ways you can pass through or over a dog gate whilst still blocking your dog from passing:
Walk Through – the dog gate has a door built in with a simple lock. You pass through the door and close/lock it when you’re through it
Swing Open – the entire gate barrier can be lifted off the hinges mounted on the walls and swung open and shut
Step Over – usually smaller gates for small dogs. You can completely step over these gates because of their height whilst still blocking your dog
A Few Other Things To Be Aware Of When Buying A Pet Gate
Make sure you measure the size of the opening you want to install the gate into, and check what size opening the gate is suitable for
Check the size of the gate door opening if it has one, and clearance of any step overs if relevant
Make sure the gate is tall enough for pets you want to keep contained, and that your pets won’t knock it over, try to jump it, or break it
Check the gate will be able to be secured properly and safely for your intended uses
Check the age of child the gate is designed for (if you intend on using it for kids too)
Check that the gate meets any relevant safety regulations and standards, and is going to be safe for the intended use in general
Read the set up, operation and safety instructions prior to use
Check the gate aesthetically matches in with your home
Check if the gate is a multiple use gate
Check if any add ons, kits or extensions come with the gate
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here