In this guide we check out the best dog gates with a pet door built in.
The advantage of these dog gates is that you can keep out your larger pets and babies, whilst enabling smaller pets and cats through.
To give you an idea of the size of these pet doors, they are usually around the 10 inches tall x 7 inches wide dimensions.
Let’s take a look at some of the best options!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Dog Gate With A Pet Door: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Our top picks for the best dog gates with pet doors are:
- Carlson Pet Products Extra Wide Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door (on Chewy) – measures 30 inches in height and expands to fit openings from 29 to 36.5 inches
- Carlson Extra Wide Walk Through Pet Gate with Small Pet Door (on Amazon)
- Carlson Pet Products Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door (on Chewy) – measures 36 inches in height and expands to fit openings from 29 to 36.5 inches
- Carlson Extra Tall Walk Through Pet Gate with Small Pet Door (on Amazon)
Best Dog Gate With A Pet Door: Reviews
Carlson Extra Wide Walk Through Pet Gate
You can read the full review of the Carlson Extra Wide Walk Through Pet Gate here
Carlson Extra Tall Pet Gate
Carlson Lil Tuffy Metal Expandable Pet Gate
Best Dog Gate With A Pet Door: Buyer’s Guide
What’s Good About Dog Gates With A Pet Door?
- You can still block off big pets and babies, whilst letting through small pets and cats
- The pet doors can usually be locked or closed off to block out all sized pets
Any Drawbacks To Dog Gates With Pet Doors?
- No. The only potential drawback is that there’s not a heap of options on the market to choose from. The pet doors are also not big – so they are for small pets only.
What Size Dog Gate Should You Get?
It usually depends on two things:
- the size of your dog. The bigger the dog, usually the taller of a dog gate you want to get
- the width of the opening or space you want to block off. The bigger the opening, the wider of a dog gate you want to get.
Also check the dimensions of the pet door in the dog gate and make sure it’s big enough for the pets you want to let through and small enough for the pets and babies you want to keep out.
Types Of Pet Gates
Some of the major types of pet gates to be aware of are:
- Pressure mounted pet gates
- Hardware mounted gates
- Freestanding gates
- 2 in 1, or All in one gates – might combine freestanding, pressure mounted, hardware mounted, and exercise pen capabilities
Some types of gates may also be:
- Extra tall
- Extra wide
- Be built with heavier duty materials
- + have other specific characteristics
Walk Through vs Swing Open vs Step Over Dog Gates
There’s usually 3 ways you can pass through or over a dog gate whilst still blocking your dog from passing:
- Walk Through – the dog gate has a door built in with a simple lock. You pass through the door and close/lock it when you’re through it
- Swing Open – the entire gate barrier can be lifted off the hinges mounted on the walls and swung open and shut
- Step Over – usually smaller gates for small dogs. You can completely step over these gates because of their height whilst still blocking your dog
A Few Other Things To Be Aware Of When Buying A Pet Gate
- Make sure you measure the size of the opening you want to install the gate into, and check what size opening the gate is suitable for
- Check the size of the gate door opening if it has one, and clearance of any step overs if relevant
- Make sure the gate is tall enough for pets you want to keep contained, and that your pets won’t knock it over, try to jump it, or break it
- Check the gate will be able to be secured properly and safely for your intended uses
- Check the age of child the gate is designed for (if you intend on using it for kids too)
- Check that the gate meets any relevant safety regulations and standards, and is going to be safe for the intended use in general
- Read the set up, operation and safety instructions prior to use
- Check the gate aesthetically matches in with your home
- Check if the gate is a multiple use gate
- Check if any add ons, kits or extensions come with the gate
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here