Maybe you’ve got a dog who can’t control their bodily functions, or maybe you just don’t want a dog bed that is going to trap smells and stink up the house.
Regardless, you’re probably looking for one or a combination of the following types of dog beds:
– Pee/Urine Proof Dog Beds
– Poop Proof Dog Beds
– Vomit Proof Dog Beds
– Doggy Odor Proof Dog Beds
Although you can’t completely proof a dog bed from anything, there are certainly some such as elevated dog beds that might be more resistant to fluids, solids, odors dust mites, mold and mildew than other types of beds.
Let’s take a look at them!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Best Dog Beds That Are Proofed Or Resistant Against Pee/Urine, Poop, Vomit & Doggy Odors
Our top pick for the best dog beds that are proofed or resistant against pee/urine, poop, vomit and doggy odors:
Elevated Dog Beds
- K&H Pet Products Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot Elevated Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Raised bed. Available up to an X Large size, for dogs up to around 150 lbs)
- Coolaroo Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Raised bed. Available up to a Large size, for dogs around 100lbs)
- Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy) – Available in up to a 51.6 x 31.8 inch size bed. For dogs as big as 85lbs.
- Kuranda Elevated Aluminum Frame Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Elevated dog bed. Available up to a XXL size, with a sleeping area of 46 inches long and 32 inches wide. For dogs up to 250 lbs. Aircraft grade aluminum frame)
- K9 Ballistics Chew Resistant Elevated Dog Bed – The Cujo Cot (on Amazon)
- Kuranda Elevated PVC Frame Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Elevated dog bed. Available up to a XXL size, with a sleeping area of 46 inches long and 32 inches wide. For dogs up to 100lbs. PVC frame)
Read more about elevated dog beds here.
Dog Bed With Internal Waterproof Liner
- PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Larger Sizes), or PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Smaller Sizes)
- PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed With Memory Foam (on Amazon) (Bed with bolster edges. Several sizes available, but, available as big as a XXL size bed, with inner dimensions of 42 inches long by 33 inches wide, and a 6 inch memory foam base. Designed for dogs up to 200lbs. Has a water resistant removable and washable cover, and a waterproof inner liner to protect memory foam)
- Big Barker Headrest Edition Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (7 Inch thick American made therapeutic foam dog bed. Available in up to the largest Giant size, which is a 60 inch long x 48 inch wide sized bed. For large and Giant sized dogs.)
- – You must get the Big Barker Waterproof Liner (on Amazon) separately with this bed
Dog Bed Waterproof Cover For Most Beds
- 100% Waterproof Mambe Pet Cover (on Amazon) – sold as a blanket cover for any bed or piece of furniture
1) Elevated Outside Dog Bed
Elevated beds are good for messy liquids, solids and smelly odors for 5 reasons:
1. They are usually inside and outside dog beds – so you can put them outside and air them out, or just have them outside where it won’t matter if they stain or smell
2. They are usually made of permeable fabric that doesn’t hold any liquid, dirt or mess. Liquid will usually even seep through the fabric onto the ground. There’s no mattress or foam for the liquid, mess or odor to get trapped in
3. To wash most elevated dog beds, you can wipe them down with a damp cloth, or hose them down with the garden hose and wipe it with a dry towel in seconds. They are very easy to clean and keep clean.
4. Because they are raised with fabric and a metal frame, air can get underneath the fabric and ventilate it naturally
5. You can even get black fabric elevated dog beds that won’t show stains and messes as much as a neutral color mattress dog bed
The Coolaroo elevated dog bed above is one of the most popular raised beds.
Get a bed like the Cujo Cot or Kuranda heavy duty aluminium frame and durable fabric dog bed if you have a more destructive or heavy chewing bed.
2) Dog Bed With Bed Cover
Your second option is to get any dog bed and put a waterproof cover over it like the 100% Waterproof Mambe Pet Cover (on Amazon).
It’s made of microfleece on both sides with waterproof membrane in between to stop liquid penetrating the cover.
You can simply throw it in the washing machine when you need to wash it.
The cover is quite large though, so keep that in mind if you have a small bed or area, but you could always tuck it or fold it under the bed.
It doesn’t make a crinkly noise like a tarpaulin cover will – it’s very quiet, and it can protect a dog bed or other items like furniture and even your bed.
3) Dog Bed With Dog Bed Liner
The last option is to get a bed like the Big Barker and put a waterproof liner under the external cover to protect against liquids.
The outer cover of this bed can be washed for poop stains, urine stains, vomit stains and to rid odors and dog hairs.
The good thing about the Big Barker bed liner is that it’s extremely high quality and performs well.
More Reading On Dog Beds That Are Proofed Or Resistant Against Pee/Urine, Poop, Vomit & Doggy Odors
What About Dogs Beds That Are Protected Against Dust, Mites, Mold & Mildew?
Elevated dog beds might be the best for protection against dust, mites, mold and mildew.
Why Elevated And Raised Beds For Protection Against Dust Mite, Mold and Mildew?
Elevated dog beds might be good to protect against dust mites, mold and mildew for a few reasons:
They are usually built specifically to be inside and outside beds – they might do better outside where they are more susceptible to mites and mold than a mattress type bed would be
They are usually made of permeable fabric that don’t hold mites or mold as much as a mattress would
A mattress bed might be more likely to trap mites or attract mold and mildew
To wash most elevated dog beds, you can wipe them down with a damp cloth, or hose them down with the garden hose and wipe it with a dry towel in seconds.
They are very easy to clean and keep clean from mites and mold/mildew compared to mattress beds
Because they are raised with fabric and a metal frame, air can get underneath the fabric and ventilate it naturally to stop mold and mildew growing. It also creates a less inviting environment for mites
They are usually designed SPECIFICALLY to protect against not only mites, mold and mildew, but to control odor and be good for dealing with accidents, dirt and messes
The Coolaroo elevated dog bed above is one of the most popular raised bed cheap options.
The Kuranda PVC frame bed is a popular mid range option, both in terms of price and strength.
The K9 Ballistics or Kuranda heavy duty aluminium frame and durable fabric dog bed is good if you have a more destructive or heavy chewing dog and want a more indestructible type bed.
Why Not The Stuffed or Foam Mattress or Bolster Type Beds?
Simply because the inner poly fill or memory foam in these beds, and the associated covers, are more susceptible to creating an environment that traps mites and grows mildew or mold.
They don’t ventilate as well as the thin fabric elevated beds, and the internal environment under the external covers, or inside the mattress can be a breeding ground for all sorts of things – unless you wash the bed and clean it regularly.
Having said that, orthopedic and memory foam dog beds provide a level or comfort and support, particularly for dogs with joint issues, that elevated dog beds don’t quite provide.
Are Soft Mattress & Foam Type Beds Really That Bad?
No – as long as you keep the bed in a location where mildew, mites and other unwanted dirt and parasites don’t have the chance to develop.
Getting a dog bed with removable covers and an inner liner also gives you the opportunity to wash the covers and protect the inner part of the dog bed from dirt and micro organisms.
Other Dog Bed Options
How To Clean Or Wash Dog Beds
These guides provide more information on cleaning and washing dog beds:
Why Dogs Might Pee On Their Bed
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here','' ); } ?>