If you have a dog that is a burrower or nester, you have probably realised you need a specific type of dog bed if your dog is to sleep in it.
A standard mattress type flat dog bed might not do the trick, but you might try a cave type or enclosed dog bed with a hood instead.
These beds may make a burrowing or nesting dog feel comfortable and safe like they do when they burrow under their blankets or try to nest in your lounge.
Let’s take a look at the best dog beds for burrowers and nesters!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Dog Bed For Burrowers & Nesters
If you want to go straight to checking out the best dog beds for burrowers and nesters, you can do so here:
- BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Barksbar Orthopedic Dog Bed With Padded Bolster Rim (on Amazon) – Bolster Dog Bed For Burrowers and Nesters
- Best Friends by Sheri Shag Donut Bolster Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy) (Larger Sizes), Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy) (Smaller Sizes)
- Best Friends by Sheri Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Bed (on Amazon) (Soft round/donut bed with a thick rim, and thinner inner core. Available up to an XL size, which is 45 inches in diameter, for dogs up to around 150lbs. Has an outer cushioned rim, with a thinner inner bed base)
- Majestic Pet Suede Bagel Dog Bed (on Amazon) – Bagel Shaped Dog Bed For Burrowers and Nesters
- Snoozer Pet Products Cozy Cave Covered Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Dog Bed (on Amazon) – Cave/Hooded Dog Bed For Burrowers and Nesters
Best Dog Beds For Burrowers and Nesters: Reviews
Barksbar Orthopedic Dog Bed With Padded Bolster Rim
- A bolster orthopedic foam dog bed for either multiple smaller dogs, or for 100+ lb dogs. Can fit pets up to 36″ in length
- For burrowers and nesters they can nuzzle up to the soft bolster sides, or for smaller dogs, you can place blankets in the bed with them
- Inner Dimensions of Sleeping Space: 36″ x 24″
- Comes with a polyester cover which is removable and washable
- Has 4 inches of Solid & grooved Orthopedic Foam as the base
- Has a non slip rubber bottom
- Quite a big bed – you may want a smaller bed for smaller dogs
- The orthopedic foam is OK, without being top of the line quality
Majestic Pet Suede Bagel Dog Bed
- A bagel shaped bed that a nesting dog will love – they will sink right into it
- Burrowing dogs might like this bed with a blanket
- Has bolster sides your dog can rest their head on
- Made of a soft fabric that is comfortable, but also looks good
- Comes in 4 sizes – 24 inch, 32 inch, 40 inch, and 52 inches long
- For small through to large dogs – from 1 lb up to 110 lbs
- Base is made of a water resistant fabric
- The whole bed is machine washable
- Stuffed with a Premium High Loft Polyester Fill
- Bed is made in the USA with imported materials
- Affordable bed
- Not for dogs that chew
- The fill in this bed is soft, but there are more supportive fills out there in orthopedic dog beds for example
Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Dog Bed
- A cave/next type dog bed that is good for dogs that like to nest/burrow, stay under blankets and like to stay warm
- You can remove some of the stuffing for dogs that like to nest or burrow a little deeper
- This particular bed has a Sherpa soft interior, and a microsuede exterior which looks nice
- It has a Cedar/Poly filling for the main pillow your dog lies on
- The cover is zippered, removable and washable
- Comes in 3 sizes up to X Large which generally is ok for large breed dogs like Golden Retrievers – unless they like to stretch out in which case get a non hooded bed
- Small is 25 inches in diameter, Large is 35 inches, and X Large is 45 inches
- Sidewall is 4 inches, and hood height is about 8 inches
- Comes in different 20 different colors to match different interiors
- You can find cheaper beds
- Not for the largest dogs or for the longest dogs – look at an open dog bed for large and long dogs over 45 inches total length or over about 80lbs
Best Dog Beds For Burrowers and Nesters: Buyer’s Guide
What Is Dog Burrowing And Nesting?
Dog Burrowing and nesting behavior could be described as the following:
- Nesting – When your dog tries to find a safe, warm and comfortable place to lay down or sleep – usually by nuzzling into something, or by creating a safe hole/low spot in the surface they are laying on. Bolsters, walls and enclosed surfaces can help with nesting
- Burrowing – When dogs want to be covered or enclosed, usually under blankets or under somewhere warm
What Dog Bed Types Are Best For Burrowers and Nesters?
These dog bed types may suit burrowing or nesting dogs the most:
- Round, bagel or donut shape type beds – dogs can curl up in the middle of these beds while the outside of the bed falls around them
- Cave or hood type beds – dogs can get under the soft and warm hood of these beds and feel like they are under a blanket
- Beds with bolster sides – the sides of these beds may make dogs feel safer and more comfortable, and they can even nuzzle up to the sides of these beds with their heads
My Dog Is A Destructive Burrower/Nester, or A Chewer – What Do I Do?
If your dog is destructive or a chewer, you’ll need a heavy duty dog bed that can stand up to that sort of behavior.
What you could try doing is getting a metal framed dog bed, and adding blankets to the bed.
This way the dog bed won’t get destroyed, but your dog still has some blankets to burrow under or to nest into by clumping them up.
Examples of some good heavy duty dog beds for chewers and more destructive dogs are:
Chew Proof Crate Pad
- Best Dog Crate Pad For Chewers – Big Barker 4 Inch Orthopedic Foam Dog Crate Pad (on Amazon)
- Best Cheap Crate Pad For Chewers – K9 Ballistics TUFF Crate Dog Pad (on Amazon)
Outdoor Elevated Dog Beds That Are Heavy Duty and For Chewers and Destructive Dogs
K9 Ballistics Cujo Cot Dog Bed (on Amazon) – Heavy Duty Chew Resistant Outdoor Dog Bed
Kuranda Aluminium Dog Bed (on Amazon) – Heavy Duty Chew Resistant Outdoor Dog Bed
– Also available with Kuranda Reversible Fleece Pad (on Amazon)
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here