If you have a digger, you might be experiencing some frustration when it comes to keeping dog beds in one piece.
Some dogs’ digging behavior is not very destructive, while other dogs are quite intense and have nails that will scratch up and destroy a dog bed base.
In this guide we’ve identified some heavier duty dog beds that will stand up to digging and will hopefully save you a lot of money.
Let’s jump into it!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Dog Bed For Diggers
If you want to go straight to checking out the dog beds for diggers, you can do so here:
Dig Resistant, Elevated Dog Beds
- K&H Pet Products Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot Elevated Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Raised bed. Available up to an X Large size, for dogs up to around 150 lbs)
- Coolaroo Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Raised bed. Available up to a Large size, for dogs around 100lbs)
- Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy) – Available in up to a 51.6 x 31.8 inch size bed. For dogs as big as 85lbs.
Mid To Higher Priced Options
- K9 Ballistics Deep Den Dog Bed (on Amazon) – Ripstop Dig Resistant Dog Bed For Light Diggers & Scratchers
- K9 Ballistics Cujo Cot Dog Bed (on Amazon) – Heavy Duty Dig Resistant Outdoor Dog Bed
- Kuranda Aluminium Dog Bed (on Amazon) – Heavy Duty Dig Resistant Outdoor Dog Bed
Dig Resistant Crate Pads
- Best Dog Crate Pad For Diggers – Big Barker 4 Inch Orthopedic Foam Dog Crate Pad (on Amazon)
- Best Cheap Crate Pad For Diggers – K9 Ballistics TUFF Crate Dog Pad (on Amazon)
Best Dog Bed For Diggers: Reviews
K9 Ballistics Deep Den Dog Bed
- A deep/sunken dog bed for light diggers and scratchers
- Made from a ripstop fabric which is designed to resist light digging, scratching and chewing
- Bed contains no velcro or zippers
- Can be dismantled for easy cleaning at the base
- Comes in 4 sizes up to X Large which measures 45 x 38 inches, and is about 10 inches deep
- For small through to large dogs
- Comes in 3 different colors
- A good bed, but slightly expensive for what it is. Having said that, damage resistant dog beds are always going to be more expensive
K9 Ballistics Cujo Cot Dog Bed
Kuranda Aluminium Dog Bed
Big Barker 4 Inch Orthopedic Foam Dog Crate Pad
- The cover is as dig proof as you will get without being dig proof – It’s made with chewing, nesting, digging and scratching in mind.
- Big Barker are usually a great company to deal with from a customer service perspective – something else you don’t get with a lot of other companies.
- The cover is also 100% waterproof and protects against accidents. It’s easy to clean, or you can unzip it and throw it in the wash. It is machine washable.
- Not only is it designed to be resistant to damage, but it is comfortable and provides support
- It’s designed to assist dogs with joint pain, hip & elbow dysplasia & arthritis, and prevents your dog from suffering physical stress that hard surfaces and cheaper thinner dog crate pads might bring about.
- The foam in this bed is high density foam that is American made. This means it won’t flatten over time, it won’t sag, it will hold it’s shape, and it provides the best support and comfort possible.
- The foam is 4 inches thick – with 2 inches of H24 Support Foam underneath, and 2 inches of H10 Comfort Foam on top.
- Not a cheap dog crate pad
Best Dog Bed For Diggers: Buyer’s Guide
What Does It Mean When A Dog Digs At Their Bed?
Dogs that dig at their bed usually like to either:
- Dig a hole in the sleeping surface with their nails – completely opening up the bed and tearing/ripping it. This usually results in them pulling the stuffing or foam out of the bed
- Simply create a lower spot in the middle of the bed that they feel safe and comfortable in without actually tearing the bed open
How Do You Deal With A Digging Dog When It Comes To Dog Beds?
You probably have two options:
- If your dog doesn’t tear apart their bed – you could simply get a deep dog bed that your dog feels like there is a hole in such a sunken or bagel type dog bed with bolsters, or that sinks in the middle
- If your dog does scratch at the surface of the dog bed, you should probably get a heavy duty dog bed that isn’t easy to destroy
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here