The guide below compliments our main guide on how to clean and wash a dog.
Even though that are a lot of dog beds that come with a removable external cover, there are also popular ones that don’t.
If you get one of these dog beds, you’ll want to know How To Wash/Clean A Dog Bed Without A Removable Cover.
Luckily, it’s not that hard. We walk you through a few things you might want to consider in this guide.
Let’s check them out!
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
How To Wash/Clean A Dog Bed Without A Removable Cover
1. Washing and Cleaning Fully Machine Washable Dog Beds
One of the most commonly bought beds that comes without a removable cover and can be thrown directly in the wash is the:
- MidWest Quiet Time Ombre Swirl Dog & Cat Bed (on Chewy)
- MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Super Plush Ombré Swirl Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Flat plush polyfiber cushion bed. Available in up to a 48 inch x 29 inch size bed – which is for dogs up to 110lbs. Base is 4 inches thick. Can also be used as a dog crate bed)
Make sure you follow the washing instructions given to you by the manufacturer – including how long, what temperature and what cycle to put the bed on.
Some people who have dogs with sensitive skin or allergies sometimes choose to use a natural laundry detergent like the following to minimise the risk of irritants:
- Nellie’s All Nautral Laundry Soda (on Amazon)
- Molly’s Suds Natural Laundry Powder (on Amazon)
- Puracy Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent (on Amazon)
2. Washing and Cleaning Elevated and Raised Dog Beds
These dog beds are very simple to wash and clean because the fabric is so thin and light that it doesn’t collect smell and mess like a mattress or polyfill dog bed might.
Follow the cleaning instructions of the manufacturer, but usually you can either:
Hose the dog bed down with your garden hose and let the bed dry out – which it does quite quickly
Or, wipe the dog bed down with some warm water and a natural dish soap like Puracy Natural Liquid Dish Soap (on Amazon) which mixes easily with warm water.
Just be careful if you use soap or other additives, and the bed has a metal frame, that you don’t corrode it. You may choose just to spot clean the fabric.
3. Consider a waterproof cover or liner
To minimise cleaning, some people choose to cover their bed with a waterproof liner or cover.
You can get a waterproof cover for any dog bed like the 100% Waterproof Mambe Pet Cover (on Amazon), which can also be placed over furniture or your own bed while your dog is on it to protect against accidents and mess.
This cover is soft and washable, but it’s quite large.
Another option is to get a waterproof internal liner for your dog’s bed like the
- Big Barker Headrest Edition Waterproof Dog Bed Liner (on Chewy)
- Big Barker Waterproof Liner – Flat (on Amazon)
… sold as a liner for the:
- Big Barker Headrest Edition Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (7 Inch thick American made therapeutic foam dog bed. Available in up to the largest Giant size, which is a 60 inch long x 48 inch wide sized bed. For large and Giant sized dogs.)
The liner goes just under the external cover, won’t make noise when your dog moves on it, and is extremely good at catching and completely resisting urine and other liquids.
You can put the internal liner in the wash with the external cover at the same time.
Best Washable Dog Beds
Best Dog Beds On The Market Right Now
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here','' ); } ?>