Dachshunds are a bit of a unique dog breed when it comes to pet stairs and steps.
The best pet stairs and steps for Dachshunds will obviously be designed for smaller dogs, but also take into account your Dachshund’s short legs and low clearance from the ground.
In this guide we’ve listed the best pet stairs for small dogs like Dachshunds, but we’ve also listed a few of the best pet ramps you can check out in case you want an incline a dog with short legs can climb.
This guide is complementary to our main guide on the best steps and stairs for pets.
Let’s take a look at the options and reviews below!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Best Pet Stairs & Steps For Dachshunds
Our top picks for the best pet stairs and steps for Dachshunds are:
Pet Stairs For Inside The House
- Snoozer Scalloped Pet Ramp/Stairs, Small (on Amazon) – Measures 14 in. H x 21 in. W x 20 in. D
- Snoozer Scalloped Pet Ramp/Stairs, Medium (on Amazon) – Measures 17.5 in. H x 21 in. W x 25 in. D
- Snoozer Scalloped Pet Ramp/Stairs, Large (on Amazon) – Measures 21 in. H x 21 in. W x 30 in. D
- Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stairs (on Amazon) – for pets up to 150lbs
- Armarkat Pet Steps (on Amazon) – for pets up to 70lbs
- Best Pet Supplies Foam Pet Stairs/Steps (on Amazon) – for small dogs
- PetSafe Solvit PupSTEP Plus Pet Stairs (on Amazon) – for pets up to 120lbs, but designed for small to medium sized pets
Pet Stairs For Cars/Vehicles
- Pet Loader Mini Steps, Aluminum (on Amazon) – For Small Dogs 2-20lbs (for inside the house too)
Best Pet Stairs & Steps For Dachshunds: Reviews
Best Pet Stairs & Steps For Dachshunds: Buyer’s Guide
How To Choose A Size Of Stairs For Dachshunds
To choose a size of pet steps for your pet, you can consider the following:
– the weight capacity of the stairs
– how wide the stairs are – do they seem wide enough for your pet?
– what size of pet the manufacturer says the stairs are for
On average, Dachshunds are around 16 to 32 lbs, and 8 to 9 inches tall. So, consider that and measure your own Dachshund when picking pet stairs.
Also note that Dachshunds have a low clearance from their legs to the ground, so you’ll want to look at the step height on the stair set and make sure your Dachshund can clear the step height of the stairs.
Snoozer Scalloped Pet Ramp/Stairs For Dachshunds
Some Dachshund owners, and other owners with short legged dog breeds, have found great success with these stairs as the steps allow their dog to climb, whereas hard stairs don’t have the same room to manoeuvre.
Can My Pet/Dog Use Pet Stairs?
Most pets can, but if your dog has a health condition, ask their they are able to use the incline of a ramp.
It’s important to check the weight limit of the ramp and make sure your pet comes within that weight limit.
How Do I Get My Pet To Use Stairs?
Some pets and dogs take some time to get used to using steps – from a few days to a few weeks.
Positive reinforcement training with treats or your dog’s favorite toys works well.
So, be prepared to take some time training your dog.
Alternative To Pet Stairs? – Pet Ramps
If you want a good alternative to stairs, a pet ramp may be a better option as there are no steep steps for your Dachshund to clear and scale.
A ramp simply allows them to walk up the incline.
Two of the better pet ramps on the market are:
- PetSTEP Original Folding Pet Ramp (on Amazon) – open ramp dimensions are 70 L x 17 W x 2.5 H inches, and the ramp holds up to 500lbs
- Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp For Pets (on Amazon) – open ramp dimensions are 72″ long x 16″ wide x 1.5″ thick, and the ramp holds up to 250lbs
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here