We will keep this guide short because we have already put together individual reviews, and comparison guides on each of these brands and models of dog fences.
You can read the comparison guides here (which also contain links to the individual dog fence system reviews):
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
eXtreme Dog Fence vs PetSafe® vs SportDOG: Comparison, & Which To Get?
Overall, it does depend on variables such as the size and number of dogs you want on the system, the area you want to contain your dog/s to, and the individual features you want and need with the fence system. So, make sure you check these things before you buy.
But, as a general guide of which dog fence system we would choose, it would be:
Best Overall Dog Fence Systems
In our opinion, eXtreme has the best range of dog fence systems.
Probably the models that best balances value and performance are the Standard and Professional Grade models. The Standard grade model is comparable to the SportDOG models in price and features.
The Professional Grade model is one of the best sellers, and it comes with the thick and durable 14 gauge perimeter wire is that is a preference for you. It can be buried, or even installed above ground.
The Max Grade comes with the 60ML poly coating/jacket on the wire instead of the 45ML poly jacket the Pro Grade offers.
You can view each of these models here:
- eXtreme Dog Fence Max Grade System (on Amazon) (Most features and the thickest/strongest wire of the eXtreme dog models – doesn’t have to be buried underground)
- eXtreme Dog Fence Professional Grade System (on Amazon) (Good value. Thick wire, and doesn’t have to be buried underground)
- eXtreme Dog Fence Standard Grade System (on Amazon) (Possibly the best value of the eXtreme models – one step above the Basics model)
Dog Fence System With A Rechargeable Battery
If you want a dog fence system with a rechargeable battery, the SDF-100C is probably the best system.
The eXtreme Basics system also has a rechargeable battery as well, but, the SDF-100C is a more extensive system with more features.
- SportDOG In-Ground Fence System SDF-100C (on Amazon) (Has a rechargeable battery, and 7 levels of static stimulation, plus tone/vibration)
Dog Fence System For The Smallest Dogs
This dog fence system is specifically designed for the smallest dogs – 5lbs and up.
If you have a tiny dog around this size – this dog fence system may be for you.
- View the PetSafe Little Dog In Ground Fence (on Amazon) –for dogs 5lbs and over, with 6-16 inch neck sizes. Standard kit covers 1/3 of an acre.
Wireless Dog Fence System
This dog fence uses a circular signal from the transmitter to the collar/s, without the need for wires.
It is also portable.
- PetSafe PIF-300 Wireless Dog Fence (on Amazon) – fits pets 8 pounds or more with neck sizes 6 to 28, and standard kit covers up to a 1/2 acre circular boundary
Electric Dog Fence FAQ Questions For Buyers and Owners
You can read an FAQ Guide here about commonly asked questions by potential buyers and owners of electric dog fences. We outline things such as:
- Types of electric dog fences
- All factors to consider in choosing an electric dog fence
- Most important factors to consider in choosing an electric dog fence
- How much an electric dog fence costs
- How to install and set up an electric dog fence
- How an electric dog fence works
- How to train a dog to use an electric dog fence, and how long it takes
- Type of wire used for an electric dog fence
- How much wire is required for an electric dog fence
- Which electric dog fence wire is best
- How to bury the wire for an electric dog fence system
- How deep to bury the wire
- Are dog fences safe, and are they effective
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here