Automatic dog food dispensers and timed feeders can save you time and make life a lot easier for you.
Not only does it make it easier for you to feed your dog by you having to physically feed your dog less, but they can also help to slow down dogs who are eating too fast.
Having said this, picking an automatic dog food dispenser for large dogs vs small dogs does present of things to be aware of in making your choice. We have outlined these things in this guide.
Let’s take a look…
(NOTE: this is a general informational and educational guide only. It is not professional or expert advice.)
Automatic Dog Food Dispenser For Large Dogs vs Small Dogs: What To Consider
What Are Automatic Dog Food Dispensers and Feeders?
Automatic dog food dispensers are small machines that store dry dog food inside a hopper, and dispense the food automatically into a feeder tray in the amounts and intervals you program or set it to be dispensed.
What’s Good For You About An Automatic Dog Food Dispenser?
There are several benefits to having an automatic dog food dispenser:
- You don’t have to fill your dog’s bowl as much – you save time and effort
- If you aren’t home when it’s your dog’s feeding time (you might be at work or at the gym), the dispenser can automatically feed them as long as you’ve programmed it to
- You can control when your dog gets fed
- You can control how much your dog gets fed each time the dispensers releases food
- They can be a great solution for slowing down dogs who eat too fast
Automatic Dog Food Dispensers For Small and Medium Dogs
The main difference between small dogs and big dogs is how much they eat per day.
The following are estimates of cups of dog food eaten per day for 10 to 50 lbs dogs:
- 10-20 lbs dog – 3/4 to 1 cup a day
- 20-50 lbs dog – 1 to 2 cups a day
Keep in mind that adult dogs eat around twice per day – once in the morning, and once at night.
One of the most popular automatic dog food dispensers, the Petsafe Automatic Dog Food Feeder (on Amazon), has a 24 cup capacity (roughly 5.6 litres)
Based on a 2 cups a day feeding routine for say a 40 to 50 lbs dog, this feeder when fully filled will last an estimated 12 days before you need to re-fill it again.
Some of the other features of the Petsafe Automatic Dog Food Feeder (on Amazon) are:
- It has a digital timer that you program yourself – up to 12 meals a day with flexible meal portions from 1/8 cup up to 4 cups
- It has a Slow Feed Mode for fast eaters that dispenses meals greater than 1/8 cup over 15 minutes
- There are also an Immediate Feed Mode that dispenses next scheduled meal instantly, and Pause Feed Mode that temporarily stops feeding without losing programmed feed schedule
- It has a Pet-proof dispenser that helps keep your dog out of the hopper, and keeps food sealed and fresh
- It comes with a removable stainless steel bowl
- It disassembles for easy cleaning with some dishwasher safe parts
- You can operate it with 4 alkaline batteries or a power adapter sold separately
Automatic Dog Food Dispensers For Large Dogs
The following are estimates for 50 to 75 lbs + dogs in terms of how many cups of dog food they might eat per day:
- 50-75lbs dog – 2 to 3 cups per day
- 75+ lbs dog – 3 to 5 cups per day
These large breeds still eat twice a day.
We know from above that the PetSafe Automatic Feeder has a 24 cup capacity (roughly 5.6 litres).
But, there is also a larger capacity feeder like the Petfly Automatic Dog Food Feeder (on Amazon) that has a 10.6L food capacity, which holds around 44 cups at capacity.
Based on a 4 cups a day feeding routine for say a 90lbs dog, the Petsafe feeder when fully filled will last an estimated 6 days before you need to re-fill it again.
The Petfly or a similar capacity automatic feeder will last around 11 days before needing to be re-filled.
Some of the other features of the Petfly Automatic Dog Food Feeder (on Amazon) are:
- Can program using the LCD control panel on the feeder, and can control further functions with remote control
- Can program to support feeding 1-5 meals per day, selecting 1-12 portions for each meal(each portion about 25g food)
- Has a transparent hopper so you can see how much food is left
- Hoppe holds 10.6 litres of dry dog food, which works out to be around double what the Petsafe dispenser holds
- Built-in Voice Recorder so your pet can hear your voice when it feeds
- Can power with either batteries or adpater
- Dimensions: 16.5*9.8*14.5 inches
Automatic Dog Food Dispensers For Puppies
Puppies need to eat smaller amounts more regularly – 3 to 4 times a day, compared to adults who are eating roughly twice a day.
Either of the above feeders will be ok for them.
Don’t forget, a large breed puppy turns into a big adult one day – so it might be worth getting a large capacity dispenser for a large breed puppy to allow for growth.
Friendly Disclaimers 🙂
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here 🙂