In this guide, we take a look at dog food toppers.
We look at what they are, and what some of the most popular brands right now might be.
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Dog Food Toppers
What Are Dog Food Toppers?
Toppers are food products that are added to a dog’s main meal.
They can enhance or boost things such as nutrition and taste of a dog’s food (for this reason, they might also be referred to as a booster or enhancer). They can also generally help with boosting overall health (they might for example contain fish oil too)
Although most food toppers may not be nutritionally complete and balanced, there can also be some that are (so, check this on the label)
Types Of Dog Food Toppers
There’s different types of toppers, with some of the most common ones being:
- Proper toppers (can be dry or dehydrated food)
- Pour over toppers (can be broths, stews and so on)
- Protein boosters (usually a wet mix)
- Flavor food topper (powder and gravy type products)
Dog food toppers may also be divided into dry, wet, and powder/granular textures and types.
Do Dogs Need Food Toppers?
A qualified vet can advise you whether or not your dog might benefit from, or need a dog food topper.
For a fully healthy dog, usually their main food should be nutritionally complete and balanced, so a topper might not be needed.
But, food toppers can help some dogs with things such as:
- Helping a dog who isn’t eating their food to eat (because it might make their food more appetising)
- Helping boost certain nutrients like protein
- Helping boost hydration or making food softer (in the case of wet toppers)
- Providing a treat for a dog
Checking the topper product description and feeding directions can help guide owners on what for, and how toppers might be used and fed to dogs.
Like regular treats, be careful of overfeeding your dog with toppers on top of their regular meals and food.
Some estimates also say that toppers shouldn’t make up more that 10% of a dog’s diet (petcentral.chewy.com)
Some Popular Dog Food Topper Brands
Obviously the topper that is best for your dog will depend on what your dog needs and what your dog’s vet recommends.
But, some popular brands on the market now are:
- Stella & Chewy’s Chewy’s Chicken Meal Mixers Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Topper (on Chewy)
- TruDog Boost Me Mighty Meaty Beef Booster Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Enhancer (on Chewy)
- Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Stella’s Super Beef Meal Mixers Grain-Free Dog Food Topper (on Amazon)
- Flavors Food Topper and Gravy for Dogs (on Amazon)
- Core Grain Free Dog Food Mixers & Toppers (on Amazon)
- Honest Kitchen Meal Booster (on Amazon)
Further Reading On Dog Food
1. Various pet food brand products’ information
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here