Finding a suitable dog anti itch cream is a decision you shouldn’t make without the advice of your vet.
Not only are there several reasons why your dog could be itchy, but there are several types of anti itch creams for dogs that are suited to treat different conditions.
In this guide we run through the factors that might cause your dog to itch, and what the different types of itch creams do.
Let’s jump into it!
(NOTE: this is a general informational and educational guide only. It is not professional advice. See a vet or qualified expert for professional advice).
Dog Anti Itch Cream: What To Know, & Best Options
What Causes Itchiness On A Dog’s Skin?
The first thing you should know when your dog is itching is that itchiness can be caused by a range of factors.
These factors might include allergies, skin infections, unhealthy skin, insect bites, external parasites or even something irritating your dog has rolled in or come into contact with.
How To Know When A Dog Is Itchy…
A pretty obvious sign is that your dog is incessantly scratching itself.
Other signs might be inflamed skin, flaky skin, dry skin or any other sign that the skin is either irritated or infected.
Which Anti Itch Cream Is Best For My Dog?
Always consult your vet, in conjunction with reading the label, instructions for use, directions and any warnings for the type of cream you purchase or intend on using.
What Are The Types of Anti Itch Cream For Dogs Available?
The following are the main types of anti itch cream:
General Anti Itch, and Itch Relief Creams (Including Natural and Organic Creams)
These are general anti itch creams with a mix of ingredients that usually have a range of anti itch properties, and also have a soothing effect.
Specialty Anti Itch Creams
- Hydrocortisone Cream
Hydrocortisone is a topical steroid.
It is an anti inflammatory agent that can reduce itching caused by allergies, skin infections, parasites or dry skin.
The product has an immediate effect, but cannot be used if the dog is under antihistamine treatment, or if the dog is allergic to corticosteroids.
- Anti-Fungal Creams & Sprays
Anti Fungal creams contain fungicides.
Fungicides are good for treating fungal skin infections such as yeast and ringworm.
Make sure you get the right concentration of fungicide for your dog’s infection.
Synergy Labs has an Anti Septic and Anti Fungal Spray For Dogs (on Amazon) available.
- Anti Parasite Creams and Shampoos
Parasites common on dogs can include mites, fleas and ticks.
The saliva in a flea bite for example can cause an allergic reaction on the dog’s skin.
Parasite type creams usually kill the parasites, and have a soothing base to soothe the skin afterwards.
You can also get flea shampoos for example that kill fleas and soothe the skin.
- Antihistamine Creams
When your dog has an allergic reaction, their body releases histamines.
Histamines cause inflammation, and antihistamine creams help reduce swelling and itchiness caused by allergies and inflammation in dogs.
Other Types Of Anti Itch Creams
- Aloe Vera Creams
Aloe vera is a soothing type cream. It is said to work best on skin with itchiness caused by allergies, skin infections or parasites.
- Home Made Creams
The following ingredients are said to have anti itch properties:
- Dried Safe
- Dried Thyme
- Aloe Vera
Some people have successfully crushed the above ingredients, boiled them with epsom salt and left it to sit for a few days, and then applied the remaining mix with vaseline to their dog’s skin.
This should not be done without consultation with your vet first though.
What Are Some Of The Best General Anti Itch Cream Options For Dogs?
There are 3 fairly popular general anti itch creams and moisturisers:
- ResQ Organics Pet Skin Treatment (on Amazon)
- Corigem Antifungal and Antiseptic Cream/Balm (on Amazon)
- Makondo Pets Anti Itch Cream (on Amazon)
Of these creams, we liked ResQ Organics the best because they were fully transparent with their list of ingredients, and most ingredients seemed natural.
Makondo for example contains a type of alcohol in the cream, and Corigem contains a ‘proprietary blend’ of brazilian extracts – which may or may not be good, but still, we like total transparency with an ingredients list.
An overview of the ResQ Organics Pet Skin Treatment is as follows:
ResQ Organics Pet Skin Treatment
- Organic aloe vera in this cream is good for sooting itching
- Cehami in this cream is good for itching
- Can be used on Hot Spots, Dry Skin, Rough Skin, Mange, Dermatitis, Itchy Skin, Rashes, Insect Bites, Feline Acne ,Alopecia, Abrasions, Cuts
- Formulated to speed up healing & Improves Circulation, Repair and Rejuvenate Skin Cells, Reduce Pain & Itching, Absorb Quickly, Be Non-Greasy, Moisturize & Nourishe Skin, Reduce Inflammation & Redness, Promote Hair Growth
- Can be applied to paws, elbows and skin
- Blue-green Algae creates cellular rejuvenation.
- Two of the main ingredients have benefits and properties that are:
Manuka Honey Cehami
*Anti Bacterial *Anti-Pain
*Anti –Fungal *Anti-itch
*Anti Viral *Powerful Humectant
*Anti-Inflammatory *Cellular Regeneration
- Non toxic – Moisturiser contains no water, mineral oil, petroleum products, alcohol, animal products, fragrance or preservatives.
- A portion of sales will be donated to rescues across the country
- Ingredients include: Organic Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Emulsifying Wax, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerine (vegetable derived), Organic Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Organic Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Leptospermum Scoparium (Manuka Honey) Mel, Centipeda Cunninghamii (Cehami), Spirucosm (Blue Algae), Butyrospermum Parki (Shea) Butter, Organic Cannabis Sativa (Hemp Seed) Oil, Organic Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Methyl Sulfynol Methane (MSM), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit E), Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Retinyl Palmitate (Vit A), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vit C), Oat Amino Protein, Frangipany Extract, Sacchromyces/Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment Hydrolysate & Saccharomyces/Potassium Ferment Hydrolysate & Adenosine Triphosphate, Riboflavin, Tapioca Starch, Polysorbate 80, Sodium Hydroxide, Titanium Dioxide, Carbomer, Glucose (and) Xanthan Gum (and) Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) (and) Glucose, DMDM Hydantoin, Sodium Hyaluronic Acid, Phenoxyethanol
- Comes as 2, 4 or 8 ounces of cream
Friendly Disclaimers ?
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here ?