Two of the main types of foam for dog beds are memory foam and orthopedic foam.
In this guide we list a few of the best dog beds that contain these types of foam.
Let’s check them out!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Rated Orthopedic Dog Beds With Memory Foam or Therapeutic Foam: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Our top picks for the best rated orthopedic dog beds with memory foam are:
7 Inch Foam Beds
- Big Barker Headrest Edition Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (7 Inch thick American made therapeutic foam dog bed. Available in up to the largest Giant size, which is a 60 inch long x 48 inch wide sized bed. For large and Giant sized dogs.)
- KOPEKS Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy)
- KOPEKS 7 Inch Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (Bed with headrest. Available in up to a X Large size which is 50”L x 34”W. Has 7 inch thick memory foam.)
2 to 6 Inch Foam Beds
- PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Larger Sizes), or PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Smaller Sizes)
- PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed With Memory Foam (on Amazon) (Bed with bolster edges. Several sizes available, but, available as big as a XXL size bed, with inner dimensions of 42 inches long by 33 inches wide, and a 6 inch memory foam base. Designed for dogs up to 200lbs. Has a water resistant removable and washable cover, and a waterproof inner liner to protect memory foam)
- PupLounge™ Memory Foam Dog Bed & Topper (on Paw.com) (Bed with bolster edges. Several sizes available, but, largest size available is Giant, with inner dimensions of 43″ L x 35″ W inside the bolsters. Has a 2 inch or 4 inch memory foam base depending on the size ordered (has a 10 year guarantee on the foam not to flatten). Has a waterproof memory foam liner. Comes with a faux fur topper which is interchangeable/removable, and washable.
- Dogbed4less Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon) (4 inch foam bed)
- Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon) (4 inch foam bed)
*There’s three main types of foam used in dog beds – polyurethane, memory and orthopedic. Poly is the cheapest. Some beds also use a therapeutic foam, which is the best rated foam.
You may want to check that the foam is solid foam and not an egg crate foam, and also check that the foam meets some types of certification or is a certain grade such as human grade foam.
Best Rated Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Beds: Reviews
Dogbed4less Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
For the price, we like this bed as the best 4 inch memory foam dog bed on the market for small to large dog breeds. It features:
- 4 inches of solid memory foam that is 5 times more dense and 4 times heavier than regular memory foam (which is why we suggest this bed over the Milliard). What that means is it takes a heck of alot of force and several years before the foam in this dog bed will flatten.
- It’s basically got a tonne of support for joints and for the comfort of your dog!
- The bed also comes with 3 covers that are sewn and zippered together with great workmanship
- 2 of these covers are completely removable and easily washed (the brown cover and the denim cover).
- The internal foam cover is waterproof – do not wash the foam!
- The covers have replacements available
- The largest size of this bed is a Jumbo 55 inches x 47 inches
Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
A cheaper 4 inch memory foam dog bed. It features:
- On the inside it is made with a 2 inch base foam and 2 inches of soft to medium memory foam (thicker than the standard 1 or 2 inches total for the cheap mattresses)
- Ultra comfortable with plenty of cushion between your dog and the ground (4 inches total).
- On the outside, the Milliard has an anti microbial waterproof non-slip cover that zips open and shut, and can be very easily washed and dried. You clean the cover – dont put the foam or base in the wash.
- 4 sizes in total available with the largest size measuring 46 inches x35 inches.
- Memory foam is certified by CertiPUR-US®
Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Foam Dog Bed
One of the highest quality, if not the highest quality dog bed on the market. Features includes:
- Specifically designed for big, extra large and Giant dogs.
- More support and comfort than most polyfill or 4 inch memory foam bed.
- The foam is American made orthopedic foam of the highest quality that is handmade in the USA by craftsmen with over 30 years experience.
- As of 2017, it has a 10 year guarantee on the foam, meaning the foam will retain 90% of original shape & loft for 10 years or your money back.
- The foam itself is a 3 stage Big Barker foam – consisting of 2 inches of H10 Comfort Foam on the bottom, 3 inches of H45 Support Foam in the middle, and another 2 inches of H10 Comfort Foam on the top. The headrest version also has another 4 inches of contoured foam as the headrest. It is American Made CertiPUR-US certified foam, which is an exible polyurethane foam used in bedding and upholstered furniture
- It’s easy to clean, and the cover is machine washable. The external cover is 100% Microfiber cover.
- There are also replacement external covers available, and internal waterproof liners.
- Comes in three sizes: Large – 48 inches long x 30 inches wide, Extra Large – 52 inches long x 36 inches wide, Giant – 60 inches long x 48 inches wide
- Three colors available – Chocolate, Burgundy and Khaki.
KOPEKS 7 Inch Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
A cheaper option for a 7 inch thick solid memory foam bed that also comes with a 3 inch thick pillow/headrest on top.
Comes in 3 sizes up to Jumbo, with Jumbo measuring 50”L x 34”W.
The external cover is soft and made of Suede, with a zipper so it can be removed and washed. It also has an anti slip bottom.
There’s two colors available – light blue and brown.
We are unsure of the quality of the foam and where it’s made, but it does seem to perform well.
Pet Fusion Ultimate Dog Lounge 4 to 6 Inch Memory Foam Bolster Dog Bed
A high quality 4 inch memory foam dog bed with bolster sides for dogs that like sides on their bed. The jumbo size actually has 6 inches of memory foam for the base. General bed features include:
- Foam is solid foam and SUPER comfortable – most dogs love this bed
- Bolsters made of polyester and cotton with a green polyfill stuffing/interior
- A water resistant external cover that can be removed with a zipper and easily washed
- Jumbo size is the largest size and measures 50 x 40 inches, with a 6 inch base
- Jumbo size can hold dogs up to 200+ pounds
- Replacement covers available
- Has a non slip base
KOPEKS Deluxe Orthopedic Memory Foam Bolster Dog Bed
A cheaper 3.5 to 7 inch memory foam base dog bed with bolster sides. Features include:
- Layers include an external removable and washable cover that is also soft to lay on
- Internal layer is a waterproof cover
- Base is a solid foam base
- Has an anti slip rubber base
- Largest size is the Jumbo size which has a sleeping surface dimension of 33.5”L x 43.5”W, with a 7 inch base
- The bolster side is about 1.5 inches thick
- Two colors available – light blue and brown
Best Rated Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Beds: Buyer’s Guide
What Are Orthopedic Foam and Memory Foam Dog Beds?
Some dog beds can be coil spring or cheap poly fill stuffing dog beds. There are even outside elevated dog beds that are fabric and metal.
Orthopedic memory foam dog beds on the other hand contain usually a solid/dense foam core for the mattress.
The foam has layers of both support and comfort foam that provides less pressure on your dog’s joints, and with your dog’s body heat, very minimally adjust to their body sleeping position.
Big Barker have their own Big Barker 3 Stage, therapeutic foam, American Made CertiPUR-US certified foam system which is different and is higher quality than most dog beds when it comes to comfort and support – which is why you pay a bit more
Should You Get An Orthopedic Memory Foam Or Even a Therapeutic Foam Dog Bed For Your Dog?
These dog bed are best for people who want comfort and support as the first priority for their dog’s bed.
They are especially good for people with older dogs, large dogs with heavier body weight, dogs that have joint problems and aches, dogs that have arthritis and other joint diseases.
The color neutral memory foam dog beds can also look good inside for people that want a dog bed that matches in with their house interior.
Orthopedic Dog Beds For Dogs With Hip Dysplasia and Arthiritis, and Senior Dogs
Your vet is the best person to seek advice from when it comes to managing joint diseases for your dog.
However, an orthopedic dog bed makes the most sense for these dogs as they provide the most relief from joint pain against a hard floor surface with the cushion and support foam between the floor and your dog.
What Types Of Memory Foam and Orthopedic Foam Dog Beds Are There?
There’s two main thicknesses of memory foam and orthopedic type foam dog beds:
- 4 inch foam dog beds
- 7 inch foam dog beds
What Do You Need To Know About The Foam In Orthopedic Memory Foam and Therapeutic Foam Dog Beds?
An orthopedic memory foam or therapeutic foam dog bed is fantastic. But, what exactly do you need to know about the foam and whether it’s any good? Well…
1) USA made and crafted foam tends to be higher quality than the overseas made foam which tends to be lower quality
2) There’s partial foam and solid layered foam dog beds. Solid/dense foam is better quality
3) There’s different types and makeups of foam in dog beds. A good dog bed might have these types of foam in layers – H10 Comfort Foam, and H45 Support Foam.
4) Dog beds with headrests and bolsters might have Contoured foam on top of the mattress
What Size and Type Of Orthopedic Memory Foam or Therapeutic Dog Bed Should You Get?
Make sure of two things:
- The dog bed is big enough in length and width for the sleeping size and width of your dog (measure your dog when they are sleeping in their sleeping position to get a size)
- Make sure if there are any weight limits on the bed that your dog fits within this weight limit
- The 7 inch thick dog beds are generally for large, extra large and Giant dogs
- A 4 inch dog bed will usually be OK for small and medium sized dog beds
Large, Extra Large and Giant Orthopedic Foam Dog Beds
Big Barker and Bully Beds make two of the higher quality orthopedic foam dog beds on the market designed specifically for extra large and giant dogs.
KOPECKS also makes a cheap/budget type orthopedic foam dog bed that performs well for the price.
Read more about a comparison of these extra large orthopedic foam dog beds here.
Orthopedic and Memory Foam Inserts For Dog Beds
Orthopedic and memory foam dog beds usually come with:
- An external cover
- Sometimes a waterproof internal liner
- And the actual memory foam/orthopedic foam insert/core
You can buy replacement external covers usually, and extra waterproof internal liners.
However, most of the most popular dog beds don’t come with replacement foam inserts.
Replacement Covers For Orthopedic and Memory Foam Dog Beds
Most dog beds come with an external cover that if it gets dirty or smelly, you can unzip it from the bed and put it in the wash.
Look for dog beds that allow you to buy replacement external covers in case you need one.
An example of this is the DogBed4less Replacement External Cover (on Amazon) – sold as a cover for the DogBed4less 4 Inch Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed With Waterproof Cover (on Amazon).
Waterproof Liners and Covers For Orthopedic and Memory Foam Dog Beds
Waterproof liners usually go on the inside of the dog bed under the external cover. An example of a high quality waterproof liner is the Big Barker Waterproof Liner – Flat (on Amazon) – sold as a liner for the Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon)
Waterproof covers usually get draped over the top of the dog bed. An example of a waterproof dog bed cover that you can also use on your furniture is the 100% Waterproof Mambe Pet Cover (on Amazon) – sold as a blanket cover for any bed or piece of furniture
Read more about the best waterproof dog bed liners and covers in this guide.
Orthopedic and Memory Foam Guarantees Against Going Flat
The best orthopedic and memory foam dog bed brands offer a guarantee against their foam going flat or sinking anywhere past 1 inch of the original height.
If the foam sinks past this certain point in any part of the foam, you usually get the bed replaced.
Big Barker are one such brand that offers this type of guarantee on their 7 inch dog beds.
Orthopedic Foam Dog Beds With Headrests and Bolsters
Some orthopedic dog beds come with a headrest or bolster section ontop of the bed core.
An example of one that comes with a headrest is the Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (Headrest Edition) (On Amazon)
Can You Get Orthopedic and Memory Foam Dog Beds In Australia, the UK and Canada?
Yes, you can. In our opinion Amazon offers the best range, deals and shipping rates on these dog beds if you order online.
Otherwise, find the biggest pet supplies store in your country and see if there is one in your town you can pick one up from in person.
Discounts, Sales, Clearances and Deals On Orthopedic Foam Dog Beds
Generally, you’ll get the best price and customer service either through Amazon or the manufacturer of the bed directly.
Discounts, Sales, Deals
The manufacturer may sometimes do sales themselves.
Amazon may also do sales and discounts and deals on the beds, particularly at different time of the year like around Black Friday or Xmas.
Some manufacturers will sometimes offer payment plans directly through their site.
The conditions and terms of the payment plan may change at their discretion so it’s best to check the payment plan offer and conditions at the time you buy if you choose to go down this path.
During each month, some manufacturers do a clearance where you can get a discount on beds that have been returned to them from customers.
These beds are almost as new.
This clearance is subject entirely to the manufacturer though – so check with them for conditions and details.
Coupons For Orthopedic Dog Beds, and Orthopedic Dog Beds On Groupon
Coupons you may get at different times of the year, but check with the manufacturer before signing up or using them to check they are official and accepted, and that you aren’t giving your details or information away for nothing, or you aren’t getting something which isn’t valid.
We’ve seen coupons on groupon usually for new bed manufacturers trying to get some brand awareness, or for really cheap beds that probably aren’t worth the time you will put into buying them as they are very low quality.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here