When looking for the best plastic dog gate, there is not a lot of choice as most of the dog gates on the market are made of metal/steel.
There is however one composite dog gate made of wood and plastic that is quite good, and as a bonus, is retractable.
We’ve put together a quick review and buyer’s guide for this gate made by Evenflo.
Let’s check it out!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Plastic Dog Gate: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Our top pick for the best dog gate made of plastic and wood is the:
Evenflo Expansion/Retractable Walk Through Room Divider Gate (on Amazon) – 32 inches tall, and fits spaces 24 to 60″ inches wide
Best Plastic Dog Gate: Review
Evenflo Retractable Walk Through Room Divider Gate
- A gate made of plastic and wood
- The gate is retractable onto itself, and expandable too
- The gate swings both ways
- It fits openings 24 to 60″ wide
- It is 32″ tall
- It has a hardware-mount installation. There are four hardware mounting points
- Has a child-resistant one-hand release
- Has a telescoping safety rail over the top of the gate to provide a flat surface
- For younger children – 6 to 12 months old
- Screws in the gate could be slightly stronger for mounting
- The gate is fairly cheap and reasonably durable + works quite well. Seems to be worth the money if you want a gate that swings as well as retracts.
Best Plastic Dog Gate: Buyer’s Guide
Who Might The Evenflo Retractable Walk Through Room Divider Gate Be For?
- People who want a swinging, as well as an expanding and retractable gate
- People who want a 32 inch tall gate
- People who want a gate to fit openings and spaces 24 to 60″ wide
- People who want a hardware mounted pet gate
Who Might The Evenflo Retractable Walk Through Room Divider Gate NOT Be For?
- People who want a pressure mounted pet gate
- People who want a freestanding pet gate
- People who want a walk through pet gate
- People who want a pet gate outside the dimensions of this one – height and width wise
Plastic Dog Gate Alternatives – Wood, and Metal Dog Gates
Types Of Pet Gates
Some of the major types of pet gates to be aware of are:
- Pressure mounted pet gates
- Hardware mounted gates
- Freestanding gates
- 2 in 1, or All in one gates – might combine freestanding, pressure mounted, hardware mounted, and exercise pen capabilities
Some types of gates may also be:
- Extra tall
- Extra wide
- Be built with heavier duty materials
- + have other specific characteristics
Walk Through vs Swing Open vs Step Over Dog Gates
There’s usually 3 ways you can pass through or over a dog gate whilst still blocking your dog from passing:
- Walk Through – the dog gate has a door built in with a simple lock. You pass through the door and close/lock it when you’re through it
- Swing Open – the entire gate barrier can be lifted off the hinges mounted on the walls and swung open and shut
- Step Over – usually smaller gates for small dogs. You can completely step over these gates because of their height whilst still blocking your dog
A Few Other Things To Be Aware Of When Buying A Pet Gate
- Make sure you measure the size of the opening you want to install the gate into, and check what size opening the gate is suitable for
- Check the size of the gate door opening if it has one, and clearance of any step overs if relevant
- Make sure the gate is tall enough for pets you want to keep contained, and that your pets won’t knock it over, try to jump it, or break it
- Check the gate will be able to be secured properly and safely for your intended uses
- Check the age of child the gate is designed for (if you intend on using it for kids too)
- Check that the gate meets any relevant safety regulations and standards, and is going to be safe for the intended use in general
- Read the set up, operation and safety instructions prior to use
- Check the gate aesthetically matches in with your home
- Check if the gate is a multiple use gate
- Check if any add ons, kits or extensions come with the gate
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here