When it comes to dog beds, there’s many to choose from on the market.
Different materials and fabrics are used in these beds, and the best materials and fabrics for dog beds will depend largely on what the bed is being used for.
For example, soft inside dog beds are generally made with a stuffing or foam interior with a soft external cover.
Other beds such as outdoor, elevated or chew resistant dog beds are made with a metal or PVC frame, and a thin layer of fabric, raised above the ground.
In the guide below, we look at these different materials and fabrics used.
Let’s take a closer look!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Best Materials & Fabrics For Different Types Of Dog Beds
Main Types Of Materials Used In Dog Beds
Some of the main types of materials used in dog beds might include:
Indoor & Soft Dog Beds
– The core material used in the base, which is usually a stuffing, a fill or a type of foam. The quality of this core material can differ depending on the bed
– The fill material used in any bolsters or sides
– The material of any internal liners, such as internal waterproof liners
– The material of external liners or covers
Outdoor & Elevated Dog Beds
– The material used for the dog bed frame, such as a cheaper powder coated base metal, an aluminum frame, or a PVC frame
– The material used for the fabric that the dog lays on. Some fabrics are higher quality and stronger than others
– The material used in and around the dog bed frame, such as plastic connecters
Other Dog Beds
If you want to see what a dog bed is made of, make sure you read he product description prior to buying.
Depending on what type of bed it is, find out what the base/core is made from, any liners and covers, any frames, any other part of the bed.
Now we will move onto the individual types of dog beds and materials used in them …
1) Mattress, Cushion, Foam & Soft Dog Beds
Mattress, cushion, foam and softer support type dog beds are usually contain polyfill and stuffing in them, or a type of foam (orthopedic or memory foam).
They are very popular because they come in a range of prices, sizes and different levels of support.
Materials and fabrics in them might include:
Internal Line Material/Fabrics
Waterproof internal liner – soft fibre and a plastic membrane
Cotton solid or shredded stuffing
Who Are These Beds Best For?
People who want comfort and cushioning for their dogs, and in the case of the high quality foam beds, support for joints as well.
They can be good as inside dog beds and dog beds for dog crates.
You might have dog bed support as a priority if you have a large or giant dog who have more pressure on their joins from their heavier weight.
Some of these beds look nice inside with color neutral covers, so if you want a nice looking inside dog bed, they might be a good option too.
Take a closer look at mattress and foam type soft dog beds in this guide.
2) Outside Dog Beds and Elevated Dog Beds
Elevated and raised dog beds are great as outside dog beds, and are relatively odor resistant and easy to clean.
They are essentially a frame with a piece of fabric going across them that is raised off the ground.
They are beds that can be put inside and outside, and have good ventilation.
The downside is they don’t have the cushioning and foam support mattress beds do, but the fabric is still soft.
There’s cheap and more expensive options available.
The materials and fabrics they consist of might be:
Metal or PVC Frame – steel, PVC or aluminium usually
UV treated shade cloth type knitted fabric
Rip Stop fabric (stops tears and rips spreading)
Cordura fabric (similar to vinyl)
Who Are These Beds Best For?
People who want an inside/outside bed
People who want a dog bed that is easy to clean
People who want a well ventilated dog bed
People who want a light dog bed
People who want a chew resistant and almost indestructible dog bed compared to the easy to tear apart mattress dog beds with zippers and stuffing
Read more about the best outdoor, elevated dog beds in this guide.
3) Dog Beds That Look Like Furniture, or Sofas/Lounges/Couches
If you love your inside decor, you may want a dog bed that goes well with your living room furniture for example.
The materials and fabrics in these beds might include:
Internal Line Material/Fabrics
Wooden or metal frame
Who Are These Beds Best For?
People who want soft core dog beds that have cushioning and support
People who want a dog bed that goes well with their interior decoration
Examples Of What Some Of The Best Dog Beds Might Be Made Of
In other guides we have listed the best dog beds for different types of dog breeds.
This is a collection of those beds – you can check them out to get a better idea of how the best beds might be made, and what they are made of
These are the beds:
Beds For Dogs Of Most Sizes
- PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Larger Sizes), or PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Smaller Sizes)
- PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed With Memory Foam (on Amazon) (Bed with bolster edges. Several sizes available, but, available as big as a XXL size bed, with inner dimensions of 42 inches long by 33 inches wide, and a 6 inch memory foam base. Designed for dogs up to 200lbs. Has a water resistant removable and washable cover, and a waterproof inner liner to protect memory foam)
Bed Specifically For Very Large & Giant Dogs
- Big Barker Headrest Edition Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (7 Inch thick American made therapeutic foam dog bed. Available in up to the largest Giant size, which is a 60 inch long x 48 inch wide sized bed. For large and Giant sized dogs.)
Affordable & Cheaper Dog Beds
- MidWest Quiet Time Ombre Swirl Dog & Cat Bed (on Chewy)
- MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Super Plush Ombré Swirl Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Flat plush polyfiber cushion bed. Available in up to a 48 inch x 29 inch size bed – which is for dogs up to 110lbs. Base is 4 inches thick. Can also be used as a dog crate bed)
- Frisco Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy) – Available in up to a 32 x 26 inch size bed. Stuffed with polyester fiber filling.
- Frisco Pillow Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy) – available in up to a 40 x 28 inch size. Stuffed with a fluffy polyester fiber filling.
- FurHaven Plush & Suede Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Furhaven Therapeutic Plush & Suede Sofa-Style Living Room Couch Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Bed with headrest rims. Available in up to a Jumbo Plus size, with inner sleeping dimensions of 40 inches long x 36 inches wide, for Giant dogs like Great Danes. Has a 4 inch base. Comes in memory foam, orthopedic foam, and cooling gel foam models). Read a Furhaven Dog Bed Review Guide here
Foam Dog Beds (Regular Foam, Memory Foam, & Orthopedic Foam)
- KOPEKS Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy)
- KOPEKS 7 Inch Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (Bed with headrest. Available in up to a X Large size which is 50”L x 34”W. Has 7 inch thick memory foam.)
- Dogbed4less Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Flat bed. Available in up to a Jumbo size, for dogs that will fit on a 55 inches long, by 47 inches wide bed. Has a 4 inch thick memory foam base)
- Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Flat bed. Available in up to a 46 inches long by 35 inches wide X large size bed, with a 4 inch foam base)
- BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Dog Bed – Snuggly Sleeper (on Amazon) (Sofa bed with padded rims. Available in up to a Large size bed, which is 40 inches long by 30 inches wide, and holds dogs up to 100+ lbs in weight, and up to 36″ in length. Inner dimensions are 36″ x 24″. Has a cotton padding and orthopedic foam base.)
Outdoor & Raised/Elevated Dog Beds
- K&H Pet Products Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot Elevated Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Raised bed. Available up to an X Large size, for dogs up to around 150 lbs)
- Coolaroo Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Raised bed. Available up to a Large size, for dogs around 100lbs)
- Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy) – Available in up to a 51.6 x 31.8 inch size bed. For dogs as big as 85lbs.
Donut Dog Beds
- Best Friends by Sheri Shag Donut Bolster Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy) (Larger Sizes), Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy) (Smaller Sizes)
- Best Friends by Sheri Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Bed (on Amazon) (Soft round/donut bed with a thick rim, and thinner inner core. Available up to an XL size, which is 45 inches in diameter, for dogs up to around 150lbs. Has an outer cushioned rim, with a thinner inner bed base)
Dog Beds Designed To Match Home Decor
- Some companies have a range of dog beds that are made specifically to look good with home decor in mind, such as dog bed ‘rugs’
Dogs Beds That Come With A Waterproof Or Water Resistant Liner
- A few examples of beds from this list that come with water proof or water resistant liners are …
- The Big Barker bed has a water proof liner that can be purchased separately – Big Barker Headrest Edition Waterproof Dog Bed Liner (on Chewy)
- The Petfusion Ultimate Lounge Bed comes with a water resistant outer liner, and a waterproof base liner
- The Dogbed4less bed comes with a waterproof internal liner
- Other beds on the list may come with their own types liners too – check the product details to confirm which ones
Dog Beds For Chewers
- Kuranda Elevated PVC Frame Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Elevated dog bed. Available up to a XXL size, with a sleeping area of 46 inches long and 32 inches wide. For dogs up to 100lbs. PVC frame)
- Kuranda Elevated Aluminum Frame Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Elevated dog bed. Available up to a XXL size, with a sleeping area of 46 inches long and 32 inches wide. For dogs up to 250 lbs. Aircraft grade aluminum frame)
*Note – make sure you measure your dog both from their behind to the tip of their nose, and from their paws to the top of their shoulders and also head, and pick a dog bed that will comfortably and safely fit their body length and width ways.
Pick a size of bed that comfortably gives them a few extra inches in each direction.
Also, make sure you get a dog bed with adequate support for your dog’s body (solid certified orthopedic and memory foams can be more desirable than a regular slab foam, or a crated out foam).
Some people also like a specific feature, such as a waterproof liner included, or will look to order one separately (can especially help to protect an investment in a foam bed).
Read the dog bed product description, features, inclusions, and check details and sizing dimensions before ordering.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here