When it comes to dog beds, there’s different materials and fabrics available.
The best materials and fabrics for dog beds will suit different used and of course different dogs.
For example, some dog beds are made with a stuffing or foam interior with a soft external cover.
Others are made with a metal frame which raises a thin layer of fabric your dog lays on up off the ground.
Let’s check out these materials and fabrics and see which is best for your dog.
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Materials & Fabrics For Dog Beds: For Different Uses, & Different Dogs
So, when it comes to materials and fabrics on dog beds, you’ve got:
- The exterior liner material/fabric
- The interior liner material/fabric
- The core material/fabric, and what the foam is made of
1) Mattress, Cushion and Support Dog Beds
Mattress, cushion and support type beds are usually polyfill dog beds with stuffing in them, or memory foam and orthopedic foam dog beds.
You can read more about some of the best mattress, cushion and support dog beds in this guide.
They are very popular. Materials and fabrics in them include:
- Faux fur
- Microfiber covers
- Suede covers
Internal Line Material/Fabrics
- Waterproof internal liner – soft fibre and a plastic membrane
- Cotton solid or shredded stuffing
- Polyfill interior
- Foam interior
Who Are These Beds Best For?
People who want comfort and cushioning for their dogs, and in the case of the high quality foam beds, support for joints as well. You might have support as a priority if you have a large or giant dog who have more pressure on their joins from their heavier weight.
Some of these beds look nice inside with color neutral covers, so if you want a nice looking inside dog bed, they might be a good option too.
2) Outside Dog Beds and Elevated Dog Beds
Elevated and raised dog beds are great as a durable dog bed that won’t trap as many odors and is easier to clean than a mattress, cushion and support bed.
They are essentially a frame with a piece of fabric going across them that is raised off the ground.
They are beds that can be put inside and outside, and have good ventilation.
The downside is they don’t have the cushioning and foam support mattress beds do, but they are still soft.
Read more about the best outdoor dog beds in this guide.
The materials and fabrics they consist of might be:
- Metal or PVC Frame – steel, PVC or aluminium usually
- UV treated shade cloth type knitted fabric
- Rip Stop fabric (stops tears and rips spreading)
- Cordura fabric (similar to vinyl)
- Vinyl fabric
Who Are These Beds Best For?
- People who want an inside/outside bed
- People who want a dog bed that is easy to clean
- People who want a well ventilated dog bed
- People who want a light dog bed
- People who want a chew resistant and almost indestructible dog bed compared to the easy to tear apart mattress dog beds with zippers and stuffing
3) Dog Beds That Look Like Furniture or Sofas/Lounges/Couches
If you love your inside decor, you may want a dog bed that goes well with your living room furniture for example.
The materials and fabrics in these beds might include:
- Faux Leather
- Microsuede Cover
- Leatherette fabric
Internal Line Material/Fabrics
- Wooden or metal frame
- Polyester stuffing
- Memory foam
Who Are These Beds Best For?
- People who want soft core dog beds that have cushioning and support
- People who want a dog bed that goes well with their interior decoration
Examples Of What Some Of The Best Dog Beds Might Be Made Of
In other guides we have listed the best dog beds for different types of dog breeds.
This is a collection of those beds – you can check them out to get a better idea of how the best beds might be made, and what they are made of
The Paw.com bed for example shows you a cross section of what it’s made of in it’s different layers – from the top faux cover, to the liner, foam, and base.
These are the beds:
Beds For Dogs Of Most Sizes
- PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Larger Sizes), or PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Smaller Sizes)
- PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed With Memory Foam (on Amazon) (Bed with bolster edges. Several sizes available, but, available as big as a XXL size bed, with inner dimensions of 42 inches long by 33 inches wide, and a 6 inch memory foam base. Designed for dogs up to 200lbs. Has a water resistant removable and washable cover, and a waterproof inner liner to protect memory foam)
- PupLounge™ Memory Foam Dog Bed & Topper (on Paw.com) (Bed with bolster edges. Several sizes available, but, largest size available is Giant, with inner dimensions of 43″ L x 35″ W inside the bolsters. Has a 2 inch or 4 inch memory foam base depending on the size ordered (has a 10 year guarantee on the foam not to flatten). Has a waterproof memory foam liner. Comes with a faux fur topper which is interchangeable/removable, and washable.
Bed Specifically For Very Large & Giant Dogs
- Big Barker Headrest Edition Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (7 Inch thick American made therapeutic foam dog bed. Available in up to the largest Giant size, which is a 60 inch long x 48 inch wide sized bed. For large and Giant sized dogs.)
Affordable & Cheaper Dog Beds
- MidWest Quiet Time Ombre Swirl Dog & Cat Bed (on Chewy)
- MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Super Plush Ombré Swirl Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Flat plush polyfiber cushion bed. Available in up to a 48 inch x 29 inch size bed – which is for dogs up to 110lbs. Base is 4 inches thick. Can also be used as a dog crate bed)
- Frisco Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy) – Available in up to a 32 x 26 inch size bed. Stuffed with polyester fiber filling.
- Frisco Pillow Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy) – available in up to a 40 x 28 inch size. Stuffed with a fluffy polyester fiber filling.
- FurHaven Plush & Suede Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Furhaven Therapeutic Plush & Suede Sofa-Style Living Room Couch Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Bed with headrest rims. Available in up to a Jumbo Plus size, with inner sleeping dimensions of 40 inches long x 36 inches wide, for Giant dogs like Great Danes. Has a 4 inch base. Comes in memory foam, orthopedic foam, and cooling gel foam models)
Foam Dog Beds (Regular Foam, Memory Foam, & Orthopedic Foam)
- KOPEKS Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy)
- KOPEKS 7 Inch Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (Bed with headrest. Available in up to a X Large size which is 50”L x 34”W. Has 7 inch thick memory foam.)
- Dogbed4less Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Flat bed. Available in up to a Jumbo size, for dogs that will fit on a 55 inches long, by 47 inches wide bed. Has a 4 inch thick memory foam base)
- Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Flat bed. Available in up to a 46 inches long by 35 inches wide X large size bed, with a 4 inch foam base)
- BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Dog Bed – Snuggly Sleeper (on Amazon) (Sofa bed with padded rims. Available in up to a Large size bed, which is 40 inches long by 30 inches wide, and holds dogs up to 100+ lbs in weight, and up to 36″ in length. Inner dimensions are 36″ x 24″. Has a cotton padding and orthopedic foam base.)
Outdoor & Raised/Elevated Dog Beds
- K&H Pet Products Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot Elevated Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Raised bed. Available up to an X Large size, for dogs up to around 150 lbs)
- Coolaroo Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Raised bed. Available up to a Large size, for dogs around 100lbs)
- Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed (on Chewy) – Available in up to a 51.6 x 31.8 inch size bed. For dogs as big as 85lbs.
Donut Dog Beds
- Best Friends by Sheri Shag Donut Bolster Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy) (Larger Sizes), Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy) (Smaller Sizes)
- Best Friends by Sheri Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Bed (on Amazon) (Soft round/donut bed with a thick rim, and thinner inner core. Available up to an XL size, which is 45 inches in diameter, for dogs up to around 150lbs. Has an outer cushioned rim, with a thinner inner bed base)
Dog Beds Designed To Match Home Decor
- Paw.com has a range of dog beds that are made specifically to look good with home decor in mind
- You can check out a few examples here:
- PupRug™ Faux Fur Orthopedic Dog Bed – Curve White (on Paw.com)
- PupRug™ Faux Fur Orthopedic Dog Bed – Rectangle Grey (on Paw.com)
- If you go to their dog bed section – you can see their whole range of dog beds designed to match home decor
Dogs Beds That Come With A Waterproof Or Water Resistant Liner
- A few examples of beds from this list that come with water proof or water resistant liners are …
- The Paw.com PupLounge comes with a Waterproof memory foam liner
- The Big Barker bed has a water proof liner that can be purchased separately – Big Barker Headrest Edition Waterproof Dog Bed Liner (on Chewy)
- The Petfusion Ultimate Lounge Bed comes with a water resistant outer liner, and a waterproof base liner
- The Dogbed4less bed comes with a waterproof internal liner
- Other beds on the list may come with their own types liners too – check the product details to confirm which ones
Dog Beds For Chewers
- Kuranda Elevated PVC Frame Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Elevated dog bed. Available up to a XXL size, with a sleeping area of 46 inches long and 32 inches wide. For dogs up to 100lbs. PVC frame)
- Kuranda Elevated Aluminum Frame Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Elevated dog bed. Available up to a XXL size, with a sleeping area of 46 inches long and 32 inches wide. For dogs up to 250 lbs. Aircraft grade aluminum frame)
*Note – make sure you measure your dog both from their behind to the tip of their nose, and from their paws to the top of their shoulders and also head, and pick a dog bed that will comfortably and safely fit their body length and width ways. Pick a size of bed that comfortably gives them a few extra inches in each direction. Also, make sure you get a dog bed with adequate support for your dog’s body (solid certified orthopedic and memory foams can be more desirable than a regular slab foam, or a crated out foam). Some people also like a specific feature, such as a waterproof liner included, or will look to order one separately (can especially help to protect an investment in a foam bed).
Read the dog bed product description, features, inclusions, and check details and sizing dimensions before ordering.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here