You may want a dog door with a bit more security, so we’ve put this guide together about the best lockable dog door with locking features or a security panel/close off panel.
The good news is that there is a few different models to choose from, so there’s a good chance you find something for you.
Below you can find a top rated list, as well as individual reviews of each dog door and a useful buyer’s guide.
Let’s check out what we’ve got!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Lockable Dog Door With A Lock, Or Security Panel
Our top picks for the best lockable dog doors with locks or security panels are:
Regular Pet Doors
- Ideal Pet Products Original Plastic Pet Door (on Amazon) – for pets up to around 120lbs, and has a flap size of up to 15 inches wide x 20 Inches high for the biggest model. Has an ABS plastic slide panel for closing off the doof
- BarksBar Original Plastic Dog Door (on Amazon) – for pets up to 100lbs, and has a flap size opening of 10.5 inches wide x 15 inches high. Has a removable close off slide panel
- PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminium Pet Door (on Amazon) – pet door for walls. Biggest flap opening size is 10 x 15 inches, for pets up to around 100lbs. Has a slide in closing panel
- PetSafe Freedom Aluminium Pet Door (on Amazon) – pet door for door mounting. Biggest size has a 13 3/4″ W x 23 3/4″ H flap opening, for pets up to 220lbs. Has a slide in closing panel
Heavy Duty &/Or Weatherproof Pet Doors
- Door Mounted Plexidor Dog Door (on Amazon), or Wall Mounted Plexidor Dog Door (on Amazon) – strong and secure pet door, with largest size offering a flap opening of 16 inches wide by 23 3/4 inches high, for pets up to 220lbs. Comes with a lock, key and steel security plate
- Security Boss MaxSeal Pet Door For Doors (on Amazon) – Insulating, Sealing and Security Pet Door. Largest size flap opening is 15 3/4 inches wide x 32 inches high, for extra large to Giant dogs. Comes with a top loading close off panel, and a locking pin.
- Endura Flap Double Flap Door Mount Pet Door (on Amazon) – energy efficient dog door. Extra Large model has a 12″ w x 22″ h flap opening, for extra large to Giant dogs. Comes with a security close off cover
- Ideal Pet Products Ruff Weather Dog Door (on Amazon) – insulated pet door. Largest size has a flap opening of 15 inches wide by 23.5 inches tall, for pets up to around 120lbs. Has a hard close off cover and latch
- Perfect Pet The All Weather Energy Efficient Dog Door (on Amazon) – insulated pet door. Has a 15 inch x 23.5 inch flap opening, for pets up to around 120lbs. Comes with a security close off panel
- PetSafe Extreme Weather Pet Door (on Amazon) – energy efficient pet door. Biggest model has a 10 1/8 inches width by 16 1/4 inches height flap opening, for dogs up to around 100lbs. Comes with a snap on closing panel
Electronic & Automatic Pet Doors
- SureFlap Microchip Pet Door (on Amazon) – electronic small pet door. Flap opening of 7 inches wide x 6.7 inches high. Stays locked, and unlocks when your dog with a microchip or collar tag approaches the door
- Wall Mount Plexidor Electronic Dog Door (on Amazon), and Door Mount Plexidor Electronic Dog Door (on Amazon) – electronic/automatic pet door with up to a 12 3/4 inches wide by 20 inches high flap opening, for pets up to around 125 lbs. Stays locked until your pet with a collar key approaches the door
- High Tech Power Pet Door (on Amazon) – electronic pet door. Has a flap opening of up to 12-1/4 by 16 inches, and is for pets up to 100 lbs. Stays locked until a dog with an ultrasonic collar approaches the door
Aluminum & Vinyl Sliding Glass Door Pet Doors
- PetSafe Freedom Aluminium Patio Panel Sliding Glass Door Pet Door (on Amazon) – for aluminum sliding glass doors. Largest model flap opening size is 10 inches wide x 16 inches high, with an 8 inch rise below, for pets up to around 130lbs. Comes with a lock you lock into your existing sliding door
- Ideal Pet Products Vinyl Sliding Glass Door Pet Door (on Amazon) – for vinyl sliding glass doors. Extra Large flap opening size is 10.25 inches wide x 15.75 inches high, for pets up to around 120lbs. Comes with a lock you lock into your existing sliding door
Window Sash Pet Door
- Ideal Pet Products Aluminum Sash Window Pet Door (on Amazon) – for window sashes. Biggest size has a 10.5 x 15 inch flap opening, for pets up to around 120lbs. Comes with a slide out close off cover
Screen Door Pet Doors
- Ideal Pet Doors Screen Guard Pet Door (on Amazon) – for screen doors with a screen guard. Extra Large size has a flap opening of 10-1/2″ x 15″ for dogs up to around 90lbs. Comes with a slide out close off cover
Best Lockable Dog Doors With A Lock Or Security Panel: Reviews
You can also find individual reviews for each brand of dog door listed above here:
Best Lockable Dog Doors With A Lock Or Security Panel: Buyer’s Guide
Dog Doors With Security Panels & Close Off Panels
Most of the dog doors above come with close off panels.
These are simply hard plastic panels that you slide or clip onto the inside face of the dog door (from the inside of your house), to close off the opening.
Dog Doors With Manual Locks & Keys
The regular Plexidor Dog Door (on Amazon) comes with a steel security plate and a manual lock and key mechanism.
This offers a bit of an upgrade in locking security over the other close off panel dog doors.
Dog Doors With Electronic/Automatic Locking
The electronic/automatic dog doors stay locked and closed off as a default.
They only open or unlock when a pet with an identifying chip, tag or collar approach the door.
Other Dog Doors
You can check out the best dog doors across different dog door types in this guide.
We also include information such as how to pick the right size dog door, and how to install a dog door.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here