This is guide outlines some of the best options for electric dog fence systems for a Spaniel (there are different types of Spaniels – so, we’ve included a range of brands and models of fences for different sized Spaniels).
In this guide we outline some of the best brands and models in the invisible/in ground, above ground, and wireless categories.
We’ve also included a helpful buyer’s guide with FAQs and other important things to consider when buying a pet containment system.
Let’s take a look!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Best Electric Dog Fence For Spaniels: Invisible/In Ground, Above Ground & Wireless Options
Our top picks for the best electric dog fences for Spaniels are:
- eXtreme Dog Fence Professional Grade System (on Amazon) – Possibly the best overall dog fence system on the market when you consider price, features, capabilities, performance, durability, and so on. Thick 14 gauge wire with a poly coated jacket, and doesn’t have to be buried underground. For dogs 8lbs and up. Can be installed above or in ground
- eXtreme Dog Fence Standard Grade System (on Amazon) – Good value for money. It is the eXtreme model that might be most comparable to the SportDOG models in terms of price and range of features. Has a replaceable/disposable battery. Has 7 stimulation/correction levels (5 steady, and 2 progressive), and a beep only mode). For dogs 8lbs and up. An in ground dog fence
- eXtreme Dog Fence Max Grade System (on Amazon) – Most features and the thickest/strongest wire of the eXtreme dog models, with a slightly thicker poly jacket than the Pro Grade model. Doesn’t have to be buried underground. For dogs 8lbs and up. Can be installed above or in ground
- SportDOG In-Ground Fence System SDF-100A (on Amazon) – Has a replaceable battery, and 4 levels of static stimulation, plus tone/vibration. An in ground dog fence
- PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence System (on Chewy)
- PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence (on Amazon) – for dogs at least 8lbs, and with a 6 to 28 inch neck size. Has 1/3 acre range. Has 4 levels of adjustable stimulation for the most persistent dogs, as well as a vibration mode.
A tiny dog option:
- PetSafe Elite Little Dog In Ground Fence System (on Amazon) – for dogs 5lbs and over, with 6-16 inch neck sizes. Standard kit covers 1/3 of an acre. Has a more compact transmitter, and uses the Elite Little Dog Add On Collar Receiver
Even though we prefer in ground fences because they tend to be more effective and reliable, some people want a wireless dog fence.
These are some of the top rated wireless dog fences on the market right now:
- PetSafe PIF-300 Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System (on Chewy)
- PetSafe PIF-300 Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System (on Amazon) – For dogs at least 8lbs, and with 6 to 28 inch neck size. Has 1/2 acre circular range. Has 5 adjustable levels of stimulation, and a tone only mode.
- PetSafe Stay+Play Wireless Fence (on Chewy)
- PetSafe Stay & Play Compact Wireless Fence (on Amazon) – For dogs at least 5lbs, and with a 6 to 28 inch neck size. Has 3/4 acre circular range. Has 5 adjustable levels of stimulation, and a tone only mode.
- PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence for Stubborn Dogs (on Chewy)
*Make sure to also check collar strap size to dog neck size measurements before you buy.
Best Electric Dog Fence For Spaniels: Reviews
eXtreme Dog Fences Reviews – Basic, Standard, Professional Grade, & Max Grade
SportDOG In-Ground Fence SDF-100A, & SDF-100C System Reviews
PetSafe PIF-300 Wireless Dog Fence Review
Other Relevant Dog Fence Reviews & Comparison Guides
PetSafe Little Dog In Ground Fence
An in ground electric dog fence system specifically for small dogs
The collar receiver is small and lightweight – it’s for dogs 5 pounds and up with neck sizes 6-16 inches
The collar receiver has a small reflective strip on the collar which light shines off of at night time
Collar receiver is waterproof
The collar receiver has 4 adjustable levels of static correction when using static as a training mode
There’s also a tone only training mode if you want to use beeps to train your dog
The system as standard covers 1/3 acre with included boundary wire
If you want to expand the system with additional boundary wire, you can do so up to 25 acres
You can add any number of dogs to the system when you purchase additional collars
The system has Run Through Prevention where the correction increases if your dog tries to run through the boundary zone
The collar uses a replaceable PetSafe RFA-188 battery (included)
This system can function with anywhere between 14 (thickest) to 20 gauge (thinnest) wire
PetSafe generally have pretty responsive customer service to any queries or issues
Operating guides and training manuals are included which you should read before using the system
Best Electric Dog Fence For Spaniels: Buyer’s Guide
Best In Ground, Above Ground & Wireless Dog Fences On The Market
These guides outline some of the best dog fence models on the market at the moment:
FAQ Guide About Electric Dog Fences
We outline things such as:
Types of electric dog fences
All factors to consider in choosing an electric dog fence
Most important factors to consider in choosing an electric dog fence
How much an electric dog fence costs
How to install and set up an electric dog fence
How an electric dog fence works
How to train a dog to use an electric dog fence, and how long it takes
Type of wire used for an electric dog fence
How much wire is required for an electric dog fence
How to bury the wire for an electric dog fence system
How deep to bury the wire
Are dog fences safe, and are they effective
Size Of Collar For A Spaniel
Spaniels can be various sizes.
With any electric dog fence you buy, make sure the collars are suitable for your dog, and also fit their neck size.
The manufacturer should provide collar sizing instructions for the dog fence and the dogs using them.
Some Safety Considerations For Using An Electric Dog Fence
Safety is extremely important with an dog fence.
Always always get your vet’s advice or the advice of an animal health and/or training expert – nothing is a substitute for professional advice.
Some general safety guidelines for using a dog fence humanely might be:
Buy from a reputable company who put proper use of the dog fence and the safety of the dog as a priority
Read and follow the operating guide, instruction/safety manual and training guide that comes with the dog fence system from the manufacturer for operation and safety instructions and guidelines
Pay attention to any warnings issued by the manufacturer
Monitor your dog’s response both mentally and physically to using a dog fence. Take the collar off immediately and discontinue use of the system if you notice any negative implications or reactions
A good dog fence that uses static stimulation should simply stimulate the muscle (to the point of reflex) to get the dog’s attention, but should not cause pain (it might be slightly annoying for the dog to act as a small deterrent – but shouldn’t cause pain or harm). It certainly shouldn’t cause a ‘sharp pain’ to the muscle or body.
To get a safe stimulation level – you can always start from the lowest stimulation level, and work your way up to a level that gets the dog’s attention (such as changing body language when a stimulation, vibration or tone is administered) without any visible sign of pain or harm (such as yelping, or showing signs of stress).
A good dog fence company should give you all the necessary safety, use and training instructions, and should have a dedicated customer service line to help when you being using the fence system.
The static function does not need to be used either – tone and vibrate training modes can be used instead.
Some owners like to use their dog fence system as a temporary training tool i.e. once their dog/s have learnt the boundaries and are properly training to stay in the yard, they turn the fence off or remove it.
If the dog starts going outside the boundaries again, they use the fence again to re-train their dog.
As a safety precaution for humans as well – make sure to get a qualified company to do an underground utility search and get these utilities marked before doing any digging.
Read more about the safety of electric dog fences in this guide.
Alternatives To Electric Dog Fences
Other Dog Fence Guides
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here