There’s a number of benefits to having the best double handle/two handle dog leash you can get.
Two handle dog leashes allow you two points of control on the leash – one closer to you for general control, and one closer to your dog for very specific control.
This makes double handle dog leashes great for control, safety and traffic training.
In this guide, we take a look at the best double handle dog leashes – both normal, and hands free options.
Let’s jump into it!
(NOTE: this is an informational and general guide only. It is not professional advice. See a qualified expert like a vet for professional advice for your pet/s.)
Best Double/Two Handle Dog Leash For Better Control, Safety & Traffic Training
Normal Double Handle Dog Leashes:
- Primal Pet 2 Handle 6 Foot Dog Leash (on Amazon) – popular 2 handle normal dog leash
- There’s also a Primal Pet 2 Handle 8 Foot Dog Leash (on Amazon)
- Max and Neo Double Handle Dog Leash (on Amazon) – popular 2 handle normal dog leash with lifetime guarantee, and DONATES a leash to a dog rescue for every leash bought
Hands Free Double Handle Dog Leash:
- Tuff Mutt Hands Free Double Handle Dog Leash For Running, Walking, Hiking and Training (on Amazon).- Best Hands Free Double Handle Dog Leash
Best Double Handle and Two Handle Dog Leashes: Reviews
Primal Pet 2 Handle 6 Foot Dog Leash
Available in either a 6 foot, or an 8 foot long leash size
- Has 2 handles – 1 on the end of the leash, and the other is 1 foot from the collar or harness clip
- Both handles are padded and very soft/comfortable
- Made of premium nylon material that is quite durable
- Has a D ring near the handle closest to you for attaching poop bags or pouches to
- The collar/harness attachment clip is very strong and thick at 2 inches
- 7 colors available – black, blue, pink, green, red, purple and white
- Suitable for some small dogs, and all medium to large dogs
- NOTE: There’s also a Primal Pet 2 Handle 8 Foot Dog Leash (on Amazon)
Max and Neo Double Handle Dog Leash, 6 Foot Long
The thing we love about this leash is that for every leash bought, they donate a leash to a local dog rescue so the dog rescues don’t go without.
1″ wide and made of 2mm thick heavy duty nylon. Has two handles for greater control.
The handles are very soft, and the leash also inclues the standard heavy duty clasp, D ring and reflective stitching.
LIFETIME warranty included.
Comes in 5 colors – black, blue, pink, purple and red.
Tuff Mutt Hands Free Dog Leash
The most popular hands free dog leash on the market. It’s features include:
- Can be used for walks, hikes, runs or training – a very flexible dog leash
- Good for adventurers, walkers, runners, and moms and dads
- Designed for 30-100lbs dogs
- Has a massive 48 inch long leash
- You can detach the belt and use this as a normal leash too
- Has two handles on the leash to allow you to control your dog from either your hips or closer to their collar/harness for greater control
- Has a shock absorbing bungee section between the two handles on the leash – allows the leash to extend up to 60 inches with some pulling from your dog
- The stitching is 3 seamed reinforced stitching that is quite strong. The stitching is also reflective stitching for extra visibility at night
- Buckles are made of strong reinforced plastic
- The leash connector that connects to your waist band moves along the band quite easy – allows your dog to more easily move side to side
- Leash has a lifetime guarantee
- Available in 5 bright and fun colors – red, orange, blue, green and turquoise.
- The waist belt is 48″ in length – measure your waist before buying
Best Double Handle and Two Handle Dog Leashes: Buyer’s Guide
What Is A Double Handle Dog Leash?
A double handle dog leash is a dog leash with an extra handle near the collar or harness end of the leash.
It allows you to have two handle/control points on the leash, allowing you to control your dog’s movement from those two points instead of just one at the human end of the leash that most normal leashes have.
Use the long leash for casual walks, extended sniffing and loose leash walking; use the shorter leash for busy sidewalks, bike paths and crowded areas that require that you have instant, up-close control of your dog.
What Is A Double Hand Dog Leash Used For?
There’s various uses for a double handle dog leash:
- For puppies – can be useful for some extra control over puppies and untrained dogs
- For extra control – particularly for skittish dogs or bigger dogs that pull
- For extra safety – around people, animals and moving objects
- For traffic training – near roads and traffic lights
- For safety training – general safety for your dog and other people and animals
- For obedience and other dog training – can be handy for all types of dog trainings where a second handle closer to your dog will be beneficial
Should I Get A Double Handle Dog Leash?
Double handle dog leashes are about the same price as normal leashes.
If the extra control is important to you, or it will benefit you for some type of training – they are definitely worth it.
We would note however that they aren’t as thick as some of the best heavy duty nylon leashes out there.
For example, the Pet Lovers Club Heavy Duty Leash (on Amazon) is one of the thickest and heavy duty soft leashes on the market, and it’s a single handle leash.
In our opinion, you can’t go wrong with either leash, so you may get one for training and one for walking.
Friendly Disclaimers ?
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here ?