This is a very simple and quick guide where you can find the best dog fence systems for different acreage.
What we have done is identified some of the best and most popular dog fence systems, and outlined the maximum acreage they can contain.
Let’s check them out!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Best Electric Dog Fence Systems For Different Acreage: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 + More
Some of the best dog fence systems are:
- eXtreme Dog Fence Max Grade System (on Amazon) (Most features and the thickest/strongest wire of the eXtreme dog models – doesn’t have to be buried underground)
- eXtreme Dog Fence Professional Grade System (on Amazon) (As good or better value than the Standard Grade model. One of the best selling models. Thick 14 gauge wire (with poly wire jacket), and doesn’t have to be buried underground)
- eXtreme Dog Fence Standard Grade System (on Amazon) (Good value. Probably the most comparable eXtreme model to the SportDOG models)
- SportDOG In-Ground Fence System SDF-100A (on Amazon) (Has a replaceable battery, and 4 levels of static stimulation, plus tone/vibration)
- PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence System (on Chewy)
- PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence (on Amazon) – for dogs at least 8lbs, and with a 6 to 28 inch neck size. Has 1/3 acre range. Has 4 levels of adjustable stimulation for the most persistent dogs, as well as a vibration mode.
Even though we prefer in ground fences because they tend to be more effective and reliable, some people want a wireless dog fence.
These are some of the top rated wireless dog fences on the market right now:
- PetSafe PIF-300 Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System (on Chewy)
- PetSafe PIF-300 Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System (on Amazon) – For dogs at least 8lbs, and with 6 to 28 inch neck size. Has 1/2 acre circular range. Has 5 adjustable levels of stimulation, and a tone only mode.
- PetSafe Stay+Play Wireless Fence (on Chewy)
- PetSafe Stay & Play Compact Wireless Fence (on Amazon) – For dogs at least 5lbs, and with a 6 to 28 inch neck size. Has 3/4 acre circular range. Has 5 adjustable levels of stimulation, and a tone only mode.
- PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence for Stubborn Dogs (on Chewy)
*Make sure to also check collar strap size to dog neck size measurements before you buy.
The acreage these dog fence systems contain are:
In Ground & Above Ground Dog Fences
eXtreme Dog Fences …
The Standard, Max and Pro Grade dog fences have a transmitter that contains on up to 10 or 25 acres of land (the product pages for the dog fences, and the transmitter itself of the eXtreme website currently says two different things – email or contact eXtreme for clarification)
You’ll need additional wire and additional transmitters to increase the acreage beyond 10 or 25 acres – although, most plots of land in urban areas are under 25 acres
There’s also a Basics model dog fence that contains on up to 1/2 an acre of land
SportDOG SDF-100A …
Transmitter can cover up to 100 acres, but you have to purchase additional boundary wire
Wireless Dog Fences
PetSafe PIF-300 Wireless Dog Fence …
Covers a maximum of 90 feet in all directions (180 feet in diameter) in a circle (1/2 an acre)
Covers a minimum of 10 feet in diameter or 5 feet in radius in all directions in a circle
You can buy additional transmitters to increase the area covered.
Check to see how much boundary wire comes with the fence kit, and how much additional wire you need to increase containment area acreage (there should be a wire feet to containment area conversion table on the manufacturer’s website).
As mentioned above, additional transmitters can help you increase your containment area.
Electric Dog Fence FAQ Questions For Buyers and Owners
We outline things such as:
Types of electric dog fences
All factors to consider in choosing an electric dog fence
Most important factors to consider in choosing an electric dog fence
How much an electric dog fence costs
How to install and set up an electric dog fence
How an electric dog fence works
How to train a dog to use an electric dog fence, and how long it takes
Type of wire used for an electric dog fence
How much wire is required for an electric dog fence
Which electric dog fence wire is best
How to bury the wire for an electric dog fence system
How deep to bury the wire
Are dog fences safe, and are they effective
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here