The best dog carrier bag should be comfortable and secure for the pet that you are carrying in it.
Some people use carriers for walking place to place, or trips to the vet. But, others like them for taking their pets in cabins on plane flights.
We’ve put together a list of the best dog carriers available, with some carrier options that have been used on major US airlines.
Let’s check them out!
(NOTE: if you are travelling on an airline, you need to check the airline’s regulations and conditions for pet travel and make sure you fully comply with them)
Best Dog Carrier Bag: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Our top picks for the best dog carrier bags are:
Sherpa Deluxe Pet Carrier (on Amazon) – for pets up to 22lbs, fits pets up to 18″ in length x 11″ in height
Pawfect Pets Pet Travel Carrier (on Amazon) – Carrier measures 17.5″L x 10″W x 11″H. For small pets
AmazonBasics Soft-Sided Pet Travel Carrier (on Amazon) – for pets up to 22lbs
PetPeppy Expandable Pet Carrier (on Amazon) – for pets up to 14 lbs
Mr Peanut’s Soft Pet Carrier Bag (on Amazon) – for pets up to 14 lbs
OxGord Soft Pet Carrier (on Amazon) – for pets up to 15 lbs
Best Dog Carrier Bag: Reviews
Sherpa Deluxe Pet Carrier
Pawfect Pets Pet Travel Carrier
- A one size pet carrier bag – Carrier measures 17.5″L x 10″W x 11″H
- Suitable for most airlines, and car travel
- Made of polyester and mesh
- The mesh has good ventilation
- Comes in different colors
- Comes with 2 fleece padded mats that are washable by hand
- Has an adjustable carry handle
- Because it is cheap, it is not the strongest carrier, but it gets the job done for small pets
AmazonBasics Soft-Sided Pet Travel Carrier
- A soft sided pet travel carrier for dogs up to 22lbs
- Comes in 3 sizes from X Small through to Large
- Large measure approx. 19.7 x 10.2 x 11.2 inches (LxWxH)
- Has carrying handles and an adjustable shoulder strap
- Is the right dimensions to be placed under the seat for most airlines
- Comes with a machine washable fleece pet bed inside the carrier
- Seems to run a size small – order a size larger than what you think you need
PetPeppy Expandable Pet Carrier
- An expandable pet carrier for pets up to 14 lbs
- Expands on two sides to allow your pet more room to lay out and move around
- It has a thick wire frame to prevent sagging
- Approved by most major US airlines for in cabin use
- Has a ventilated mesh top
- Comes with a random colored PET BOWL, a shoulder strap, and a bottom fleece base
- Comes with a carrier pocket for storing snakcs and other pet items
- Folds up flat to 18″L X 11″W X 1.5″ H
- The metal rods/wires, if they break, can be a little sharp
- There are many zippers on this carrier – can be a little annoying to keep zipping and unzipping the expandable sides
Mr Peanut’s Soft Pet Carrier Bag
- A carry bag pet carrier for dogs up to 14 lbs
- Dimensions are 18″ Length x 10.5″ Width x 11″ Height
- Comes in different colors
- Comes with a shoulder strap and a carry handle
- Meet under seat compatibility for most major airlines
- Metal zippers and locking clasps
- Weighs only 2.7 lbs
- Comes with a removable fleece bed, ID Tag and storage Compartment
- Supports Pay It Forward Pet Shelters
- Overall a good bag with not many drawbacks
OxGord Soft Pet Carrier
- A soft pet carrier that can hold pets up to 15lbs
- Measures 19″x10″x13″ inches
- Comes in a range of colors
- Compliant with most major airlines
- Comes with removable fleece travel bed, padded shoulder strap, lost and found tag, and storage compartments
- Well ventilated
- Because it is cheap, it is a bit flimsy, and not the strongest carrier. It lacks structure
Best Dog Carrier Bag: Buyer’s Guide
What Is A Dog Carrier Bag?
A dog carrier bag is a carrier that you carry around either with a handle, or with a shoulder strap.
This is in comparison to say a carrier with wheels that you roll around, or a sling carrier.
Dog carrier bags are the most popular dog carrier.
What Do You Need To Be Aware Of For In Cabin Pet Carrier?
The airline you are flying on should have in cabin pet regulations you need to comply with on their website – check the website or contact your airline prior to flying.
But, some common regulations you might come across are:
- To make sure the carrier meets under seat dimensions e.g. the under seat max height of a carrier might be 8 inches. If you have a 10 inch high bag, that could be too big
- Carrier provides adequate ventilation
- Carrier is leak-proof
- Carrier safely encloses the pet
What Size Pet Carrier Do You Get For Your Dog?
Measure their length and height – LENGTH: neck to base of tail, and HEIGHT: floor to top of shoulder.
Make sure your dog has 2-4 inches length, height and width inside the carrier so they can stand up, turn around and lay down comfortably in the carrier.
Also, consider any weight capacity of the pet carrier.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here