Dog bike baskets can be a great way to carry smaller pets handsfree so both of you enjoy the bike ride.
In this guide we take a look at some of the best dog bike baskets, carriers and seats on the market, including how and why they might be good for your bike.
The options listed in this guide are generally for small pets up to around the 20lbs weight limit.
Let’s check them out!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Best Dog Bike Baskets, Carriers & Seats: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Our top picks for the best dog bike baskets, carriers and seats are:
- Petsfit Dog Basket/Pet Carrier (on Amazon) – for pets up to 10lbs
- PetSafe Solvit Tagalong Bicycle Basket (on Amazon) – for pets up to 13lbs
- Snoozer Sporty Bike Basket (on Amazon) – for pets up to 14lbs
- Snoozer Pet Rider Rear Bicycle Seat (on Amazon) – for pets up to 24lbs
Best Dog Bike Baskets, Carriers & Seats: Reviews
Petsfit Dog Basket/Pet Carrier
- A green and grey pet basket for your bike
- It’s quite cheap and affordable
- To install, you simply attach the carrier via the black tether straps to your bike handlebars
- Minimum distance between the handlebar and front tire to be able to fit this basket on your bike is 12 inches
- For pets up to 10lbs
- Dimensions of the basket are 15.8″L x 12.8″W x 9.1″H
- Has a removable and machine washable inner basket pad
- There’s multiple storage pockets for pet supplies
- There’s an inner leash clip to secure your dog inside the basket
- The opening of the basket is adjustable with a pull cord
- The basket comes with a shoulder strap so you can use it to carry your dog while walking too
- The tethering straps could be shorter to make the carrier more secure on the bike
- The tethering straps could be stronger, thicker and more heavy duty to be more durable and provide a better attachment to the bike
- You may need to do some adjustments to the tethering system by yourself, such as using D rings or metal clips (there are metal eyelets on the carrier that the strap attaches to that you can utilise for your own tethering system
- Overall it’s probably the best bike carrier options for small dogs up to around 10lbs. Get the tethering secure and strong for your bike and you’re set
PetSafe Solvit Tagalong Bicycle Basket
- A pet bike basket for pets up to 13lbs
- Attaches to a bike front handlebars with a bracket system that has 3 way adjustment
- Basket dimensions are 16 in. x 12 in. x 11 in.
- Has an open top, and an adjustable safety leash inside to attach to your pet’s collar or harness
- Has storage pockets with zips for supplies and a water bottle holder
- Has a sun shade top to keep the sun off your pet
- Has a shoulder strap so you can use the basket as a pet carrier too
- Comes in 2 colors – a wicker brown color, or a silver and white color
- Like the Petsfit, the tethering system on this PetSafe could be improved. You will probably have to do a little of your own modifications to get it secure on the handlebars and sitting nice and tight. The tethering system on this basket is the bracket system
- A nice and cute little basket for your bike. As good as the Petsfit basket. Be prepared to tinker with the tethering system to get the basket fastened as you’d like it to your bike
Snoozer Sporty Bike Basket
- A bike basket for your pet
- For pets up to 14lbs
- Comes with a removable inner pad and chin rest
- Has multiple storage pockets for pet supplies
- A rain cover is stored in the side pocket
- Buckles are spaced 10” apart and are 1” thick. Be sure your bicycle can accommodate this measurement on its handlebars.
- Bottom support bar will rest on neck of bike 10” down from where the straps attach to handlebars. Be sure brake cables and other items are free of this area.
- Comes in several colors such as grey, red, orange and pink
- The tether system, which is straps, could be tighter and allow the basket to sit on the bike more securely
- The basket is designed for pets up to 14lbs, but in reality it’s probably less – say 5-8lbs dogs. We say this because the basket can tend to sag downwards with the more weight you put into it because of the tethering system
- The basket is made well, but the tethering system to secure the basket to the bike could be much better
Snoozer Pet Rider Rear Bicycle Seat
- A bigger ‘pet seat’ than the other pet baskets on this list
- For pets up to 24lbs
- Secures to a bike rack that you buy separately
- There is one set of straps that secure around your bike seat post, and another set of straps that secure underneath to your bike’s frame. The seat sits ontop of the rack
- Your pet sits in the seat with a harness on and is secured in the seat with a three point safety strap
- Exterior pet seat dimensions measure 19″x16″x10″
- Interior dimensions measure 15″x12″
- Has a foam and plywood seat base and a machine washable and removable soft cover over the top
- Seat has a reflective strip on the rear
- You have to buy a rear pet bike rack if you don’t have one already. You might get one like the Topeak Explorer Rack (on Amazon)
- If you don’t secure the seat to the rack VERY securely, the seat can tip to one side
- Not a seat for untrained dogs or dogs that want to jump at other dogs and objects. They will try to jump out of this seat
- You need to get a bike rack for your bike to use this pet seat. You also need to make sure your dog won’t want to jump out of it – so trained and calm dogs are best for this pet bike seat
Best Dog Bike Baskets, Carriers & Seats: Buyer’s Guide
Alternatives To Dog Bike Baskets, Carriers & Seats
There are several other ways you might carry a dog on a bike that might include:
- Pet Backpacks – read about the best dog backpacks here
- Dog Bike Leashes – read about the best dog bike leashes here
- Dog Bike Trailers – read about the best dog bike trailers here
- Pet Strollers/Joggers – read about the best pet strollers and joggers here
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here