If you want a dog bed that is going to stay relatively clean and hygienic, you’ve probably looked at the following types of dog beds:
- Dust Mite Proof Dog Bed
- Mold Proof Dog Bed
- Mildew Proof Dog Bed
Although you can’t completely proof a dog bed from anything, there are certainly some beds out there that are very resistant to dust mite, mold and mildew.
Let’s take a look at them!
Best Dog Beds That Are Proofed Or Resistant Against Dust Mites, Mold & Mildew
Our top picks for the best dog beds that are proofed or resistant against dust mites, mold & mildew are the:
Coolaroo Elevated Dog Bed (on Amazon) – Cheap Option
Kuranda PVC Dog Bed on Amazon – Mid Range Option
– Available with Kuranda Reversible Fleece Pad (on Amazon)
K9 Ballistics Cujo Cot Dog Bed on Amazon – Heavy Duty Chew Resistant Option
Why Elevated And Raised Beds For Protection Against Dust Mite, Mold and Mildew?
Elevated beds are good for to protect against dust mites, mold and mildew for a few reasons:
- They are usually built specifically to be inside and outside beds – they will do better outside where they are more susceptible to mites and mold than a mattress type bed would be
- They are usually made of permeable fabric that hold mites or mold as much as a mattress would. A mattress bed is more likely to trap mites or attract mold and mildew
- To wash most elevated dog beds, you can wipe them down with a damp cloth, or hose them down with the garden hose and wipe it with a dry towel in seconds. They are very easy to clean and keep clean from mites and mold/mildew compared to mattress beds
- Because they are raised with fabric and a metal frame, air can get underneath the fabric and ventilate it naturally to stop mold and mildew growing. It also creates a less inviting environment for mites
- They are usually designed SPECIFICALLY to protect against not only mites, mold and mildew, but to control odor and be good for dealing with accidents, dirt and messes
The Coolaroo elevated dog bed above is one of the most popular raised bed cheap options.
The Kuranda PVC frame bed is a popular mid range option, both in terms of price and strength.
The Cujo Cot or Kuranda heavy duty aluminium frame and durable fabric dog bed is good if you have a more destructive or heavy chewing dog and want a more indestructible type bed.
Why Not The Stuffed or Foam Mattress or Bolster Type Beds?
Simply because the inner poly fill or memory foam in these beds, and the associated covers, are more susceptible to creating an environment that traps mites and grows mildew or mold.
They don’t ventilate as well as the thin fabric elevated beds, and the internal environment under the external covers, or inside the mattress can be a breeding ground for all sorts of things – unless you wash the bed and clean it regularly.
Having said that, orthopedic and memory foam dog beds provide a level or comfort and support, particularly for dogs with joint issues, that elevated dog beds don’t quite provide.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here