Newfoundlands are an extra large to Giant breed of dog.
When looking for the best dog bed for a Newfoundland, it’s important to take this fact into consideration, and get a bed that is both big enough, and also provides enough support for such a big dog.
In this guide, we’ve put together a list of some of the best dog beds for XL and Giant dogs, including some orthopedic foam and even outdoor bed options.
Let’s jump into it!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
(*Friendly Disclosure – links to retailers or brands on this page may include affiliate links, and we may receive a commission when you purchase through these links)
Best Dog Bed For Newfoundland Dogs & Puppies
Some of the top overall dog beds for Newfoundlands are the:
- Big Barker Headrest Edition Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (7 Inch thick American made therapeutic foam dog bed. Available in up to the largest Giant size, which is a 60 inch long x 48 inch wide sized bed. For large and Giant sized dogs.)
- PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Larger Sizes), or PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Smaller Sizes)
- PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed With Memory Foam (on Amazon) (Bed with bolster edges. Several sizes available, but, available as big as a XXL size bed, with inner dimensions of 42 inches long by 33 inches wide, and a 6 inch memory foam base. Designed for dogs up to 200lbs. Has a water resistant removable and washable cover, and a waterproof inner liner to protect memory foam)
Other dog bed options are:
- KOPEKS Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy)
- KOPEKS 7 Inch Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (Bed with headrest. Available in up to a X Large size which is 50”L x 34”W. Has 7 inch thick memory foam.)
- Dogbed4less Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Flat bed. Available in up to a Jumbo size, for dogs that will fit on a 55 inches long, by 47 inches wide bed. Has a 4 inch thick memory foam base)
- FurHaven Plush & Suede Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Furhaven Therapeutic Plush & Suede Sofa-Style Living Room Couch Pet Bed (on Amazon) (Affordable bed with headrest rims. Available in up to a Jumbo Plus size, with inner sleeping dimensions of 40 inches long x 36 inches wide, for Giant dogs like Great Danes. Has a 4 inch base. Comes in memory foam, orthopedic foam, and cooling gel foam models)
- Kuranda Elevated Aluminum Frame Dog Bed (on Amazon) (Elevated dog bed. Available up to a XXL size, with a sleeping area of 46 inches long and 32 inches wide. For dogs up to 250 lbs. Aircraft grade aluminum frame)
Other Dog Bed Types & Options
This guide lists many other of the market’s best dog beds right now by type, such as donut dog beds, waterproof and washable dog beds, dog beds for chewers, dog beds that match home decor, and more. If the dog beds above don’t match what you’re looking for, you may like to give it a read.
*Note – make sure you measure your dog both from their behind to the tip of their nose, and from their paws to the top of their shoulders and also head, and pick a dog bed that will comfortably and safely fit their body length and width ways.
Pick a size of bed that comfortably gives them a few extra inches in each direction.
Also, make sure you get a dog bed with adequate support for your dog’s body (solid certified orthopedic and memory foams can be more desirable than a regular slab foam, or a crated out foam).
Some people also like a specific feature, such as a waterproof liner included, or will look to order one separately (can especially help to protect an investment in a foam bed).
Read the dog bed product description, features, inclusions, and check details and sizing dimensions before ordering.
Dog Bed Reviews
Dog Bed Buyer’s Guide
Firstly, How Big Are Newfoundland Dogs and Puppies? – Weight & Height Dimensions
Newfoundland dogs can range in size, but are generally an extra large to Giant breed, and an average weight and height for a Newfoundland might be:
Weight – 100 to 150 lbs
Height – 25 to 29 inches
It’s best to measure your own Newfoundland and get their weight, height and length.
Also, take note of what position they lay in most commonly when they are laying down and sleeping e.g. do they lay out straight, do they spread their legs out, do they curl up?
You might like to also like to measure your Newfoundland while they are in their sleeping position.
What Size Dog Bed Should I Get For A Newfoundland – Should I Get Giant Sized?
Now you have dimensions and the weight of your Newfoundland.
So, it’s time to consider what size of bed to get.
For any dog bed you are considering, make sure you look at two things when it comes to size:
The length and width of the bed
Your dog in their sleeping position should be able to fit in the sleeping area of the bed.
Make sure you subtract any bolsters or frames from the length and width of the bed – look for the actual sleeping area of the bed, and not the exterior length and width dimensions which may include bolsters and frames
What weight of dog the bed is made for
Does the dog bed have a weight limit? If so, make sure your dog fits under the weight limit
If we take the Big Barker dog bed and Kuranda dog bed for example and look at how we check the size:
Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Foam Dog Bed With Headrest
The Extra Large or Giant bed is probably going to be suitable for Newfoundland because of the sleeping dimensions, and the fact these beds are made specifically for the largest dogs.
Kuranda Aluminium Dog Bed
The largest size of this bed has a weight limit of 250 lbs which is plenty for a Newfoundland. Just check the sleeping area of available fabric is big enough for your Newfoundland
Best Dog Bed For A Newfoundland Puppy
Most owners will either:
Buy a dog bed they think their puppy won’t outgrow by the time they are an adult dog. You can make a pretty good guess on the final size by looking at breed average size info, and speaking to your vet
Buy a cheaper dog bed for the first 6 months to a year, and replace it with a bigger bed once they get a better idea of how big their dog will be
The first option is probably better though because it will cost you less and create less waste
For a Newfoundland puppy – you might plan on them at their biggest as an adult reaching 29 inches tall and 150 lbs – so you could buy a bed with say 10-20% bigger weight and length/width capacity than that.
How To Choose A Dog Bed For Your Newfoundland – Type, Price & Your Own Preferences
It depends on the needs of the dog, and the preferences of the owner.
Some people may just want a cheap/affordable bed
Some might look for good support in the form of a foam bed – especially memory foam or solid orthopedic foam
Some might want a specific style of bed, such as a donut shaped bed
Some might want an outdoor or raised bed made of durable fabric and a bed frame
Other owners might go for specific features like removable and washable covers, inner waterproof liners, a dog bed color that matches their home decor, and so on.
We’ve also put together a guide that describes in a little more depth the different types of dog beds and their features.
For an extra large to Giant dog breed like a Newfoundland, it’s worth noting the support and comfort foam in the Big Barker bed is specifically designed and constructed for an extra large dog breed’s joints and body.
Most other dog beds won’t quite have that same support, especially the cheap ones.
Dog Beds For Newfoundland Dogs & Puppies If I Live In The UK, Canada, Australia, Europe or India
Amazon currently ship to most of these locations.
When you visit Amazon, and view the dog bed, it should say whether it ships to your country and what the shipping cost is (if any).
If you go directly through the manufacturer site, they usually tell you when landing on the site or going to the checkout whether they can ship to your country.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here