In this guide we take a look at the Best Dog Beds that offer support for hips and joints.
These beds are mainly orthopedic or therapeutic foam beds that take the pressure points away or minimise pressure on the joint when you dog lays down to sleep.
Let’s check the beds out!
(NOTE: We want to make it absolutely clear – see a qualified veterinarian for professional advice about your pet. This is not advice on how to cure or treat joint problems – it is general information on the best beds that offer support to a dog’s joints.)
Best Dog Beds That Offer Support (For Hips & Joints)
Our top picks for the best dog beds for hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia and hip and elbow problems are:
2 To 6 Inch Orthopedic Foam Dog Beds
- PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Larger Sizes), or PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover (on Chewy) (Smaller Sizes)
- PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed With Memory Foam (on Amazon) (Bed with bolster edges. Several sizes available, but, available as big as a XXL size bed, with inner dimensions of 42 inches long by 33 inches wide, and a 6 inch memory foam base. Designed for dogs up to 200lbs. Has a water resistant removable and washable cover, and a waterproof inner liner to protect memory foam)
- Dogbed4less Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (on Amazon)
- PupLounge™ Memory Foam Dog Bed & Topper (on Paw.com) (Bed with bolster edges. Several sizes available, but, largest size available is Giant, with inner dimensions of 43″ L x 35″ W inside the bolsters. Has a 2 inch or 4 inch memory foam base depending on the size ordered (has a 10 year guarantee on the foam not to flatten). Has a waterproof memory foam liner. Comes with a faux fur topper which is interchangeable/removable, and washable.
7 Inch Orthopedic Foam Dog Beds
- Big Barker Headrest Edition Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed (on Chewy)
- Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Dog Bed (on Amazon) – (7 Inch thick American made therapeutic foam dog bed. Available in up to the largest Giant size, which is a 60 inch long x 48 inch wide sized bed. For large and Giant sized dogs.)
Best Dog Bed For Hip Dysplasia & Hip Problems: Reviews
Dogbed4less Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
- Made of 4 inch gel infused therapeutic memory foam – 5 times denser than regular memory foams to increase comfort and support. It is similar to high end human therapeutic mattress
- Comes with 2 external covers that are removable and washable – one is microsuede and the other is denim
- Comes with an internal waterproof liner
- Comes in a range of sizes for dogs or all sizes
- Comes with a non slip bottom
Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Foam Dog Bed
- Probably the highest quality dog bed on the market
- Made with Big Barker’s 3 stage therapeutic foam – a 2″ layer of H10 Comfort Foam, a 3″ middle layer of H45 Support Foam & another 2″ layer of H10 Comfort Foam – the same foam used in expensive furniture. Foam is CertiPUR-US certified foam
- Comes with a 10 year warranty the foam will retain 90% of original shape & loft for 10 years or your money back.
- Comes in 3 massive sizes with the biggest Giant size being 60 x 48 inches
- Made in the USA
- Cover is removable and washable
- Waterproof liners available with the bed
- There’s also a headrest version which has a 4 inch contoured headrest for your dog to place it’s head on
- There’s also a headrest version of this dog bed – Big Barker 7 Inch Orthopedic Foam Dog Bed With Headrest (on Amazon)
Best Dog Bed For Hip Dysplasia & Hip Problems: Buyer’s Guide
What Are The Best Dog Beds For Hip Dysplasia and Hip and Elbow Problems?
The dog beds that offer the most support are the orthopedic foam dog beds.
Orthopedic foam comes in all different types and qualities, but the good ones excel at staying up (not going flat) and reducing pressure on the dog’s body and consequently, there’s less pressure on the joints.
What Dog Beds Aren’t Good For Dogs With Hip Dysplasia or Other Joint Problems?
The cheap dog beds with poly fill, egg crate foam, cheap stuffing, cedar fill, non solid foam or just flat out low quality foam (most of it comes from countries where it’s cheap to manufacture goods) usually provide poor support.
Less support for your dog’s body means more pressure on the body and joints.
Different Types Of Dog Bed Foam
The best dog bed foams are usually:
- Solid foam
- Made in the USA
- Contain both comfort and support foam with multiple layers of foam
- Have details on the exact foam used, thicknesses, quality of the foam and how he design of the foam decreases pressure – the bed seller should give you this information
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here