German Shepherds (GSDs) are large dogs with moderate to high energy, strength and power throughout the body and jaw/mouth, highly intelligent minds that need stimulation, and can be heavy chewers, especially as puppies.
The toys for german shepherd dogs and puppies we’ve covered in this article are wide ranging:
- Best Indestructible dog toys that are good for chewing, pulling, expending lots of energy and basically standing up to a lot of punishment
- Best soft/plush/cuddly dog toys for sleeping and acting as a ‘comfort’ toy
- Best Puzzle type dog toys to keep their minds occupied
- Best Teething/chew dog toys to deal with puppies still growing and power chewers
- Best Training dog toys to hone obedience and behavioral skills
We’ve covered all of these types of dog toys for you complete with a best german shepherd dog toys list, buyer’s guide and dog toy reviews.
- 1 Best Toys For German Shepherds: Top 14 Dog, Puppy and Chew Toys
- 1.1 Best Toys For German Shepherd Dog or Puppy – Top Rated List 2016-17
- 1.2 Best Toys For German Shepherds German Shepherds – Buyer’s Guide & FAQ
- 1.3 Best Toys For German Shepherds – Review Of Top 14 Dog, Puppy, Chew Toys
- 1.3.1 1. KONG Classic KONG Dog Toy XL – Best Dog Toy For German Shepherds That Are Light Chewers
- 1.3.2 2. KONG Extreme Dog Toy, Black XL – Best Dog Toy For German Shepherds That Are Heavy Chewers, Best Chew Toy For German Shepherds
- 1.3.3 3. KONG Wobbler Treat Dispensing Dog Toy – Best Puzzle Toy For German Shepherds
- 1.3.4 4. The Nero Ball TM – Best Training Toy For German Shepherds
- 1.3.5 5. Mammoth Flossy Chews Cottonblend Color 3-Knot Rope Tug -Best Tug Toy For German Shepherds, Best Teething Toy For German Shepherds, Best Toy For German Shepherd Puppy
- 1.3.6 6. KONG Cozie Dog Squeaky Toy (Marvin The Moose) – Best Cuddly Toy For German Shepherds (Soft/Plush Toy), Best Squeaky Dog Toy
- 1.3.7 7. Chuckit! Large Paraflight – Best Disc/Frisbee Dog Toy
- 1.3.8 8. KONG Rubber Ball Extreme – Best Heavy Duty Dog Ball
- 1.3.9 9. Chuckit! Ultra Ball X Large – Best Fetch Ball Dog Toy
- 1.3.10 10. Chuckit! Launcher – Best Ball Launcher For Fetch
- 1.3.11 11. Nylabone Dura Chew Textured Souper – Best Bone For German Shepherds
- 1.3.12 12. Raw Meat Bones From The Shop
- 1.3.13 13. Recycled/Free Toys
- 1.3.14 14. YOU!
Best Toys For German Shepherds: Top 14 Dog, Puppy and Chew Toys
Best Toys For German Shepherd Dog or Puppy – Top Rated List 2016-17
Here is a few of the best toys for German Shepherds (we have also individually reviewed the full list of 14 at bottom of this article). Clicking on the links will take you through to Amazon to view the toy:
1. KONG Classic KONG Dog Toy XL (On Amazon) – Best Dog Toy For German Shepherds That Are Light Chewers
2. KONG Extreme Dog Toy, Black XL (On Amazon) – Best Indestructible Dog Toy For German Shepherds That Are Heavy Chewers, Best Chew Toy For German Shepherds
3. KONG Wobbler Treat Dispensing Dog Toy (On Amazon) – Best Puzzle Toy For German Shepherds
4. The Nero Ball TM (On Amazon) – Best Training Toy For German Shepherds
5. Mammoth Flossy Chews Cottonblend Color 3-Knot Rope Tug (On Amazon) – Best Tug Toy For German Shepherds, Best Teething Toy For German Shepherds, Best Toy For German Shepherd Puppy
6. KONG Cozie Dog Squeaky Toy (Marvin The Moose) (On Amazon) – Best Soft/Plush/Cuddly Toy For German Shepherds That Are Light Chewers, Best Squeaky Dog Toy
Best Toys For German Shepherds German Shepherds – Buyer’s Guide & FAQ
What Toys To Get For A German Shepherd?
It’s not really rocket science choosing a good toy for your German Shepherd, right? The basic criteria is to get a range of toys that:
- Are big enough not to get stuck in your dog’s throat (especially if a young puppy)
- If your dog is a heavy chewer, make sure it is made of hard rubber or woven rope/thread (understand no toy is completely indestructable though)
- It needs to stimulate your GSD for more than a few minutes- mentally or physically
Some examples of good toys for German Shepherds are the Kong Rubber Wobblers/Cones, rubber balls and launchers, and any rope tug toy.
Types of Dog and Puppy Toys for German Shepherds
- Balls and Ball Launchers– good for fetch and expending ALOT of energy
- Frisbees and Flying Discs – good for fetch
- Tug/Rope and Tether – good for teething and training
- Puzzle Toys – good for mental stimulation
- Training Toys – a specialised tug toy for training and obedience, and can be used as a substitute for treats
- Plush Dog Toys – a play toy or a toy that you GSD can take to bed for comfort. If your GSD is a heavy chewer, dont buy plush toys, or at least make sure they are stitched together well and stuffingless if possible
- Squeeky Toys – a toy that squeeks when your GSD plays with it and bites down on it. If used in easily destroyed toys like plush toys, make sure your GSD won’t swallow the squeeker
- Chew Toys – for teething GSDs and to keep GSDs stimulated for long periods
- KONG toys – everyone knows what a kong is – usually very durable and provides great mental stimulation if you place food or treats inside
- Treat Dispensing Toys (like the KONG wobbler) – dispenses treats as your GSD plays with it (can be used instead of feeding treats straight to your GSD)
- Fetch Toys – usually a launcher and a ball
- Raw Bones and Plastic Bones – good for chewing and teething
Different Materials of Dog and Puppy Toys for German Shepherds
Some common materials used for dog and puppy toys are:
- Rope and Woven Fibre
Thick rubber and tightly woven rope/fibre is usually best for German Shepherds as they are extremely durable and hard wearing.
How Do I Know If A Dog Toy Is Safe For My German Shepherd?
You can follow these general guidelines to make up your mind whether a dog toy is safe for your German Shepherd to play with:
- If plastic or rubber, make sure it is BPA free
- Make sure it doesnt contain toxic heavy metals, including cadmium, lead and chromium
- For large dogs like German Shepherds, make sure if they are playing with small toys that you supervise them if they are a puppy as they could choke on it.
- Make sure it isn’t heavily dyed, or treated with fire retardants or stain guard
- If your dog is a heavy chewer, avoid plush toys, latex and leather dog toys. Toys with squeekers and stuffing inside can also be hazardous if ripped apart and swallowed
Always study the materials on the label and check the manufacturer’s site if required
What Size Kong Toy For German Shepherd?
For about an 85lb or 38 kg German Shepherd, an XL Kong Toy seems to be a great size to fit it’s mouth.
Best Toys For German Shepherds – Review Of Top 14 Dog, Puppy, Chew Toys
1. KONG Classic KONG Dog Toy XL – Best Dog Toy For German Shepherds That Are Light Chewers
Everyone knows what the classic KONG is. This one is XL for a German Shepherd’s large mouth.
Instead of feeding food or treats directly to your GSD, put it inside the KONG and watch your GSD amuse itself for an hour trying to get the food out by licking, pawing and chewing.
It is Red in colour so you won’t lose sight of it easily, and even bounces so you can throw it for your GSD.
It is built more for lighter and moderate chewers.
If you’re dog is a moderate, heavy or power chewer, check out the next toy on the list…
2. KONG Extreme Dog Toy, Black XL – Best Dog Toy For German Shepherds That Are Heavy Chewers, Best Chew Toy For German Shepherds
The KONG Extreme is basically the classic KONG on steroids.
It’s made with an ultra high strength rubber that is supposed to be very durable and hard to chew through.
Like the classic KONG, you can pack the Extreme with treats or peanut butter (as long as your GSD isn’t allergic).
The KONG Extreme is black and not red, so the only drawback to this toy is that it isn’t highly visible.
3. KONG Wobbler Treat Dispensing Dog Toy – Best Puzzle Toy For German Shepherds
Rated as the best puzzle toy for german shepherds on this list.
The KONG Wobbler works like a classic kong in terms of being able to place food or treats inside.
However, the wobbler stands straight up, and wobbles, spins and rolls as your dog paws it and pushes it over with its nose.
Kongs in general are great for dogs that eat really quickly – as it can increase the duration of meal time and give your GSD a great amount of mental stimulation.
The other good thing about the KONG wobbler is that it has a twist top for filling and cleaning the inside of the KONG.
4. The Nero Ball TM – Best Training Toy For German Shepherds
If you want a substitute for giving treats to your GSD during obedience training, the Nero Ball is fantastic.
It is a rubber ball attached to a nylon rope that you can use as a reward for tasks performed correctly, play tug with, or even throw for your GSD.
The Nero Ball is even used by Police K-9 and Military Working Dog Teams.
Note that only the rubber ball is made to be chewed on with the Nero Ball – not the rope.
If you want to use it as a chew toy only, you can remove the nylon rope.
5. Mammoth Flossy Chews Cottonblend Color 3-Knot Rope Tug -Best Tug Toy For German Shepherds, Best Teething Toy For German Shepherds, Best Toy For German Shepherd Puppy
We rated this one as the best tug toy for German Shepherds and medium-large dogs.
It is also probably the best teething toy for german shepherds and best toy for german shepherd puppies – although the hard rubber KONG toys on this list would be equally suitable.
It is a 3 knot woven cotton fibre rope that is very strong, and your GSD can either tug on it while playing with you, or chew on it while they are by themselves.
It’s 25 inches long, so you have plenty of rope to play with.
The only one negative about this toy is the tassles are quite easy to chew off at the end of the rope. You may want to trim the tassles yourself so your GSD puppy doesn’t swallow them (although it doesn’t really appear to be a choking hazard, more an inconvenience).
6. KONG Cozie Dog Squeaky Toy (Marvin The Moose) – Best Cuddly Toy For German Shepherds (Soft/Plush Toy), Best Squeaky Dog Toy
First up, let’s say that if your puppy is a heavy chewer, plush toys aren’t the best choice.
The KONG range of cuddly toys like Marvin the Moose generally have thicker fabric, better stitching and less stuffing than most cuddly toys, but don’t expect it to last forever.
They also have squeakers to keep your dog amused.
Purchasing 2 or 3 at a time might be a wise choice.
Plush dog toys can be great for keeping your puppy feeling safe at night, or as a comfort toy to take in the car for the first few times.
7. Chuckit! Large Paraflight – Best Disc/Frisbee Dog Toy
The Chuckit! Paraflight is a flying disc that can be used to play fetch.
The best part about this frisbee disc is that you can take it either in the water (floats on water 0 great for the pool or beach) or throw it on land.
It is made of canvas and rubber, and won’t break down too easily. It’s also high visibility with bright colors.
One thing to be careful of with this toy is to train your GSD to release the disc when you grab it from it’s mouth, otherwise too much tugging can damage the disc.
Better than the rubber discs available by a long stretch!!
8. KONG Rubber Ball Extreme – Best Heavy Duty Dog Ball
If you are sick of tennis balls and other balls getting destroyed too quickly, the KONG Rubber Ball Extreme is probably worth a try.
It’s made of extremely strong rubber like the classic KONG toys – so even the strongest chewers will struggle to rip them apart.
It’s made more for larger breeds like German Shepherds.
One negative about this ball is that it is quite heavy – so be careful throwing it around people and inside.
9. Chuckit! Ultra Ball X Large – Best Fetch Ball Dog Toy
By far the best ball for playing fetch with your German Shepherd.
This is the X Large version which is 3.5 inches – for big dog mouths like a German Shepherd so they don’t inhale the ball.
For puppies, you may want to get a size smaller.
Better for playing fetch with launchers and for throwing longer distances as the Chuckit! Ultra Ball is more lightweight than the KONG Extreme Rubber Ball, but still maintains the durability.
The Ultra Ball floats, has high bounce and is bright for high visibility.
They are also made of rubber and not felt like normal tennis balls.
Use these balls with the Chuckit! Large size launchers (has the letter L next to them).
10. Chuckit! Launcher – Best Ball Launcher For Fetch
You can tell the sizes of the Chuckit! Launchers by looking at the letter next the the number e.g. S is small, M is for regular tennis balls and balls, and L is for the mega balls.
These launchers are lightweight but throw the ball really far – great for dog parks and throwing the ball in general so you can save throwing with your arm.
The extended shaft means you don’t have to touch a slimy ball, or bend down and pick it up.
11. Nylabone Dura Chew Textured Souper – Best Bone For German Shepherds
This is the best commercial chew bone for German Shepherds.
This Nylabone is specifically made for larger dogs over 50 pounds – so it is durable and stands up to heavy chewing.
It also comes in a range of flavors including original, beef, liver, chicken, peanut butter and bacon.
The bone itself is large, so there’s little chance your GSD swallows it.
Made in the USA!
12. Raw Meat Bones From The Shop
Generally, feeding your GSD raw uncooked meaty bones is safe, but check that your particular dog will be safe.
Some dogs are more prone to fracturing their teeth (sensitive teeth) or gastrointestinal issues than others for example.
If your dog is ok with raw meaty bones, they can play for hours with them!!
13. Recycled/Free Toys
Different ideas for free toys are:
- empty plastic water bottles or containers (BPA free)
- empty plastic food containers (BPA free) – dogs can spend a while licking every last bit of flavour off these depending on the container/package
- old shoes
You don’t have to pay for all of your dog toys, try a few of these free options too!
Your German Shepherd’s favorite toy by far is you!!
Make sure you spend enough time each day walking, playing with and interacting with your GSD.
An inanimate toy doesn’t move around, talk and give hugs quite like you do.
“thedailyshep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com”
“Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com Inc., or its affiliates”
Disclaimer: TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only, and is based on either our own reading or own experiences, as a means of free speech. By consuming this information, you accept that we do not have client or patient relationship with you. Please consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional before taking any action on anything you read from TheDailyShep.com
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading 🙂